We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Well my order just shipped from Rakuten. This is going to be a Christmas gift for myself... I got a fantastic deal on a very gently used Grand Seiko sbgx085. It's an extremely uncommon model released in 2012 to 2014 I believe. It was made only to be sold in some of Seiko's Master Shops in Japan. This model features the sportsline case which has the crown guards and is 39mm versus the older 37mm models. When this released there was also a black sbgx083, and blue sbgx087. It's got the infamous 9F62 movement and all the bracelet links I think. For those unaware of the quartz 9F series, they are handmade from over 100 parts by two workers, it's antimagnetic and thermo compensated and adjusts itself to hit the markers each time. The date changes in 1/2000th of a second, it's rumoured to be service free for 50 years, it's accurate to +/-10 seconds per year and it can be regulated. Unfortunately no box or paperwork.

For some reason it ended up being $100 cheaper than what I paid in the listing price too!! I assumed they took off tax but the listing and shop description said tax excluded.

Total cost after Cashback before duty fees should be a mind blowing $860 USD! There are only about 16 listings of this watch ever on eBay and Rakuten, and they have sold for anywhere from $1400 to $2000 so yeah I'm super happy I found this. I mean just the bracelet alone is at least $400.

Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:

Nice! Congrats on a beautiful piece at a steal!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Well my order just shipped from Rakuten. This is going to be a Christmas gift for myself... I got a fantastic deal on a very gently used Grand Seiko sbgx085. It's an extremely uncommon model released in 2012 to 2014 I believe. It was made only to be sold in some of Seiko's Master Shops in Japan. This model features the sportsline case which has the crown guards and is 39mm versus the older 37mm models. When this released there was also a black sbgx083, and blue sbgx087. It's got the infamous 9F62 movement and all the bracelet links I think. For those unaware of the quartz 9F series, they are handmade from over 100 parts by two workers, it's antimagnetic and thermo compensated and adjusts itself to hit the markers each time. The date changes in 1/2000th of a second, it's rumoured to be service free for 50 years, it's accurate to +/-10 seconds per year and it can be regulated. Unfortunately no box or paperwork.

For some reason it ended up being $100 cheaper than what I paid in the listing price too!! I assumed they took off tax but the listing and shop description said tax excluded.

Total cost after Cashback before duty fees should be a mind blowing $860 USD! There are only about 16 listings of this watch ever on eBay and Rakuten, and they have sold for anywhere from $1400 to $2000 so yeah I'm super happy I found this. I mean just the bracelet alone is at least $400.

What a deal! Congrats man! Can't wait to see pics!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:12 am It's in.

Initial impression: Very good for the price paid. Bezel is 120 clicks and crisp with no real lash-back, finishing is definitely a step up from what Timex usually does (and they usually do a good job anyway), the strap is very soft and smells fantastic. The hands and markers are lumed as well. Movement hand-winds but does not hack. Crown is unsigned, and push-pull.

Very nice! I'm still at the point where I can't wrap my mind around a non-screw down "dive" watch, but hopefully I'll reach that level of horological maturity some time. :lol: Great looking watch.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Some of these are already shipped and delivered but I've been moving around and haven't caught up with them yet. I will soon. As I mentioned in the deals thread, I have a Seiko Presage SRPD37 "mockingbird" on the way from Macy's. After seeing a very nice pic from mplsabdullah, I realized I would really enjoy this on a more casual strap than the one provided. The just the right deal came around again. His pic below.

I also scored a "refurbished" Timex Ironman Rugged T5K793 from ebay for $15. Another cheap digital to add to the rotation. I'm interested to see how I like the negative display on a Timex, which seem to be more legible than G-Shocks. Somehow I doubt it will be as legible as the pic below.

Seiko SRP313 Dracula Monster also incoming. I had always thought about buying either this of a gen 2 orange monster. Not sure it was the best decision to pay up for this one but I think I got an OK deal bc someone replaced the crystal with sapphire w/ a purple AR coating, which has a scratch. I can always replace that with different sapphire or go back to Hardlex if I want. Still, I paid twice what these things cost a number of years back. :roll:

And lastly, someone over on WUS was nice enough to give a heads up that Halios had some unclaimed bronze Seaforths. So I immediately sent an email and the owner got back to me right away. Although I think it will be about a week until this ships. I went for the fume grey dial rather than blue or green bc in addition to the great pics I've seen of the brand new ones, I think this dial variant will also look best after the case has oxidized and developed some patina. I hope so anyway.

Now to think of four that I'm willing to sell. 😔
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

yinzburgher wrote:Some of these are already shipped and delivered but I've been moving around and haven't caught up with them yet. I will soon. As I mentioned in the deals thread, I have a Seiko Presage SRPD37 "mockingbird" on the way from Macy's. After seeing a very nice pic from mplsabdullah, I realized I would really enjoy this on a more casual strap than the one provided. The just the right deal came around again. His pic below.

I also scored a "refurbished" Timex Ironman Rugged T5K793 from ebay for $15. Another cheap digital to add to the rotation. I'm interested to see how I like the negative display on a Timex, which seem to be more legible than G-Shocks. Somehow I doubt it will be as legible as the pic below.

Seiko SRP313 Dracula Monster also incoming. I had always thought about buying either this of a gen 2 orange monster. Not sure it was the best decision to pay up for this one but I think I got an OK deal bc someone replaced the crystal with sapphire w/ a purple AR coating, which has a scratch. I can always replace that with different sapphire or go back to Hardlex if I want. Still, I paid twice what these things cost a number of years back. :roll:

And lastly, someone over on WUS was nice enough to give a heads up that Halios had some unclaimed bronze Seaforths. So I immediately sent an email and the owner got back to me right away. Although I think it will be about a week until this ships. I went for the fume grey dial rather than blue or green bc in addition to the great pics I've seen of the brand new ones, I think this dial variant will also look best after the case has oxidized and developed some patina. I hope so anyway.

Now to think of four that I'm willing to sell. [emoji17]
That Dracula monster is awesome. Gen 2's are my favorite and I don't think I'll ever sell my srp315 even though I usually don't wear it anymore
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Besides the Geckota K-03, I also picked up a solid mesh strap that was half off on the Geckota site.
32B35801-FFE3-4CDB-9280-7BB3CB618D02.jpeg
400C4988-6A3B-44E2-BB7D-2357B014CEC6.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Impatiently waiting on any response from Christopher Ward...

I decided to buy my first turtle and see how I feel about it. SRPD11J1

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Been trolling eBay for vintage lots looking for some good mod stock and found this lot at a BIN for $20
The big draw here is the Raketa Big Zero. Since these have jumped in price in the past few years I decided to jump on it and hope for the best. In some research it looks like the dial, case and hands appear to be correct, so that is a big victory. I am sure that I will open the case to find that it is full of sawdust and bubble gum. At any rate, I figured it was worth it to hit BIN now and regret it later.
The condition was marked as being ‘as found’, so my I am not getting my hopes up.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:08 pm Been trolling eBay for vintage lots looking for some good mod stock and found this lot at a BIN for $20
The big draw here is the Raketa Big Zero. Since these have jumped in price in the past few years I decided to jump on it and hope for the best. In some research it looks like the dial, case and hands appear to be correct, so that is a big victory. I am sure that I will open the case to find that it is full of sawdust and bubble gum. At any rate, I figured it was worth it to hit BIN now and regret it later.
The condition was marked as being ‘as found’, so my I am not getting my hopes up.
Great score! Excellent price for the Big Zero if it ends up being in decent condition. I accidentally bought mine for $75 last year. Meant to counter with an offer on eBay, but accidentally hit "Accept Offer".
IMG_7161.JPG
IMG_7168.JPG
IMG_7172.JPG
Living a comeback montage.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

peskydonut wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:08 pm Been trolling eBay for vintage lots looking for some good mod stock and found this lot at a BIN for $20
Great score! Excellent price for the Big Zero if it ends up being in decent condition. I accidentally bought mine for $75 last year. Meant to counter with an offer on eBay, but accidentally hit "Accept Offer".
IMG_7161.JPG
IMG_7168.JPG
IMG_7172.JPG
Even at $75, it looks like you have quite the beauty there. Is the crystal they ‘table top’ style? It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I can see that there is something interesting with your crystal.

I hope that I get a passable example and look forward to it. I wasn’t hunting for one, but well aware of it and stumbled into it. Sometimes these things work out, sometimes they don’t. We shall see.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:22 pm
peskydonut wrote:

IMG_7161.JPG
IMG_7168.JPG
IMG_7172.JPG
Even at $75, it looks like you have quite the beauty there. Is the crystal they ‘table top’ style? It is hard to tell from the pictures, but I can see that there is something interesting with your crystal.

I hope that I get a passable example and look forward to it. I wasn’t hunting for one, but well aware of it and stumbled into it. Sometimes these things work out, sometimes they don’t. We shall see.
Not 100% certain, but I believe this is the original "hockey puck" crystal. Here are a few profile shots of mine. Sadly the crown is pretty weathered.
IMG_7185.JPG
IMG_7187.JPG
Living a comeback montage.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

peskydonut wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:22 pm
peskydonut wrote:

IMG_7161.JPG
IMG_7168.JPG
IMG_7172.JPG

Not 100% certain, but I believe this is the original "hockey puck" crystal. Here are a few profile shots of mine. Sadly the crown is pretty weathered.
IMG_7185.JPG
IMG_7187.JPG
That does look like the original crystal to me. It is a beautiful crystal for sure and very different. Not sure how the crystal survived while the crown is so ‘well loved’. Maybe someone found a box of original crystals. Maybe the original crown fell off and this one was from an older watch. Initially I did notice the crown, and thought it didn’t fit in with the overall condition of the watch. Still the crown gives is a little more personality.

These are from the USSR, so a bit of making things work with what you have available seems to be period appropriate and within the spirit of the watch. These have history and I don’t think that I would be interested in a pristine one.

I will be sure to post pictures of mine once it comes in and I clean it up. It occurred to me that I may have a compatible movement in my parts box, so I should be able to get this watch running fairly quickly.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, burning through my watch budget on eBay purchasing mod stock. Found these three frankens from India from a US seller for $15. Two of them work presently, so they should be good for my needs.

I have a snipe bid set for another lot, so I think I need to delete my eBay app and probably my account. These are actually destined as Christmas gifts so I guess I can justify keeping the account.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I just paid $79.99 for a Seiko Solar SNE281 Dive Watch. Shopemco had it listed for $300 on Amazon, $260 on ebay, and just $79.99 on their site. It was the last one. I've bought from them on ebay before but never directly from their site. I'm a bit dubious......we'll see....I'll update when I know more.