As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Incoming! What have you got in the mail?

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:00 pm Image
eBay picture. Black PVD Boldr Venture quartz with full kit. Aside from a vintage skindiver, which I am vaguely interested, there are no watches on my radar.
What are you looking for in a vintage skindiver...anything specific?
I don’t even know yet aside from cheap, not completely trashed and functional, and I can be flexible on the function as I could shoehorn a quartz movement to fit. Nothing that I own that is under 40mm, has a rotating timing bezel. 35-38mm is what I am most comfortable with.

I am still in early days of researching these, so I don’t know what is out there. I am mostly interested to see if it is a style that could work well for me without a big investment.

It looks like this was a popular style with a lot of companies making them. Are there any brands to flat out avoid? If you know of any decent sleeper brands in this category, I would be much obliged.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Another vintage buy. Have been wanting one for awhile and stumbled on this one. Not in best condition, but should be serviceable:
1D84424D-3626-4B29-909F-FFC2BF4E9F60.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

watchpalooza wrote:Another vintage buy. Have been wanting one for awhile and stumbled on this one. Not in best condition, but should be serviceable:
That. Is. Awesome. So many cool things going on there. Can’t wait to see what it looks like after service and tidying up!

Did you just scroll through page after page on eBay or how do you go about sitting through the seemingly endless/overwhelming offerings of vintage watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Rabirnie wrote:
watchpalooza wrote:Another vintage buy. Have been wanting one for awhile and stumbled on this one. Not in best condition, but should be serviceable:
That. Is. Awesome. So many cool things going on there. Can’t wait to see what it looks like after service and tidying up!

Did you just scroll through page after page on eBay or how do you go about sitting through the seemingly endless/overwhelming offerings of vintage watches?

Same question. I feel like I get overwhelmed when looking sometimes. Maybe it's because I don't know exactly what I want or what I'm looking for

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 pm
Rabirnie wrote: That. Is. Awesome. So many cool things going on there. Can’t wait to see what it looks like after service and tidying up!

Same question. I feel like I get overwhelmed when looking sometimes. Maybe it's because I don't know exactly what I want or what I'm looking for

Thanks! It should be a looker. I use a few methods to help narrow the search. I will collect my thoughts and will add them to the vintage deals thread here. Give me a day or so to get them posted.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Rabirnie wrote:

Same! I've been wanting to get into vintage but get overwhelmed.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Stretch44 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:38 am
Rabirnie wrote: That. Is. Awesome. So many cool things going on there. Can’t wait to see what it looks like after service and tidying up!

Same! I've been wanting to get into vintage but get overwhelmed.
I don't mean to pile on, but I'm making mental notes of who else is interested in affordable vintage. Maybe we can help each other out if one of us runs across something.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Alright, I have started the update in the vintage deals thread here. This installment deals with how to define a solid set of search terms.
Click Icon To Contact Me

rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:41 pm I could never quite justify adding the Timex Q Reissue to my collection......until today's steep discount.......lowest I've ever seen it. Big thanks to @pdsf for finding and posting the deal! 👍
DID I MISS SOMETHING?? I sure would like that watch at a GOOD price
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

rich_in_the_lou wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:52 am
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:41 pm I could never quite justify adding the Timex Q Reissue to my collection......until today's steep discount.......lowest I've ever seen it. Big thanks to @pdsf for finding and posting the deal! 👍
DID I MISS SOMETHING?? I sure would like that watch at a GOOD price
It was $107 back on the 29th but it sold out right away. :( I'll let you know if I spot one for a low price.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123&p=46255&hilit=domestic#p46255
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I thought ebay starting to collect taxes in my state might mitigate some of my impulse buying.......apparently not. But in my defense, I didn't think I would actually win this auction lol. Borealis Navale Bronzo incoming! The model pictured below, new and unworn. Came to $255 after shipping and taxes but I was able to use my ebay bucks to bring that down some. And we'll see if TCB gives me a couple more dollars. Pretty good for a Miyota 9015. I've never owned a Borealis and have wanted to get one in but I was planning on it being either a Estoril or Bullshark.

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Because I'm a sucker

whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Bbrou33 wrote:Because I'm a sucker

Same here. :X

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

whoagorgeous wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 pm

That one almost got me too, guys. I was worried that I would end up ordering a bracelet on top of the watch...so I showed some self control. Plus, I have had my latest watch less than a week :roll: .

Good catch by you two. I am looking forward to seeing them.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Split-Time wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:50 am
whoagorgeous wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:44 pm

That one almost got me too, guys. I was worried that I would end up ordering a bracelet on top of the watch...so I showed some self control. Plus, I have had my latest watch less than a week :roll: .

Good catch by you two. I am looking forward to seeing them.
I was a double sucker and DID order a bracelet on top of the watch. However, after placing my order and fully reading more, the bracelet may not fit this style of C65. I contacted Customer support right after I placed my order but this morning they claim to already have it ready for DHL shipping. So we'll see when it arrives.