We're Moving!

Click for more info.

POLL - Watches and Wardrobe Coordination

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.

How do you choose to coordinate your watch?

A) Pick out watch and build an outfit around it
No votes
B) Pick a watch that works with an outfit you've already put together
33%
C) Little from column A, little from column B
44%
D) The watch is the star of the show, the rest doesn't matter
No votes
E) Coordinate? What is this word you speak of?
22%

Total votes: 9
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

POLL - Watches and Wardrobe Coordination

Post by TheJohnP »

As I was getting dressed this morning, decided to wear my newest pair of Converse Chuck Taylors.
Given that, grabbed a watch that I thought would coordinate well with the ensemble - my Swiss Army Peak

[img][/img]

This got me thinking that I generally pick up which watch I'll wear after I get my clothes together.
UNLESS...I just got a watch in and then usually build an outfit to coordinate with the new and shiny.

Figured I must not be the only one out there like this.
And since so many of us own multiple watches, thought this could be a fun poll/discussion.

So how does it work for you?
Pick out the watch and wear what works with that or pick a watch that works with what you've already have on?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: POLL - Watches and Wardrobe Coordination

Post by Boourns »

I think almost everyone coordinates to some extent. Not many people are going to wear a G Shock with a suit. Personally, I answered C. If there's a watch I really want to wear, I will try to put on clothes that compliment (or at least don't clash with) it. This is usually how it plays out. Other times there may be a shirt or shoes I want or need to wear, so I'll pick a watch that matches.

One thing that goes into what "matches" is also thickness of the watch. This comes into play if I'm wearing a tighter sleeved shirt like a sweater. I'll pick my thinnest watch because I really hate the feeling/look of a chunky diver bulging up a sweater sleeve.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

Since I’m simply too lazy to change my watch daily or even weekly at times,I just wear any clothes I like regardless of the watch I wear

On most days I wear polo shirt with either dark blue or dark grey or light blue denim with dark colored sneakers/trainers

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... c34dc9.jpg[/IMG]
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I pick my clothes and watch based on the task at hand. The two choices are both dependent upon what I am going to be doing, but they are independent of each other.

99%+ of the time I wear blue jeans and an aloha shirts and a military surplus jacket. At the office I sometimes wear a black crushed velvet smoking jacket because 1. I own one 2. It makes me happy and 3. I don’t give a rat’s patootie about what people think of how I dress.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I try not to overthink it...some days I have a particular watch I feel like wearing, other days I pick something that goes with what I’m wearing. And some days I just don’t care. All depends. But I generally try not to clash, or look like some Invictas.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

I pick a watch for my clothes, unless of course I have a new watch I want to wear.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm At the office I sometimes wear a black crushed velvet smoking jacket because 1. I own one 2. It makes me happy and 3. I don’t give a rat’s patootie about what people think of how I dress.

You had me at black, crushed velvet smoking jacket.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
squincher
MoT Member

Post by squincher »

I wear whichever watch strikes my fancy, regardless of my clothing for the day. I can't coordinate anyway. My wife always comes along when I buy shirts and ties for work and tells me specifically which tie goes with which shirt. I don't vary from what she tells me. Sort of like the adult version of Garanimals.
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

I usually select my clothes (depending on what day it is, what I'm doing that day, and what I've worn other days that week) and then select an appropriate watch to go with. Probably 70% of the time.
But there have been times that I've chosen the watch first and built the outfit around it. Sometimes that's out of pure laziness -- it's the watch I wore yesterday, and I want to wear it today, so I'll choose an outfit that goes with it. Sometimes it's deliberate -- I want to wear THIS watch, so let's figure out what goes with it. Probably 10% of the time.
Last 20? Some other amalgamation. I'm on a trip and I only have a couple of watches. Or I have to change clothes and don't change watches. Or I change watches without changing clothes, consistency be damned.
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Today it was: black cowboy boots -> black leather belt w/ silver western buckle -> black (vintage) Timex automatic. Gold wedding band even though my silver+onyx ring would have matched the western vibe -- but that was just too much for today.

IMG_3121.1.JPG