We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Post your mods here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Re: Post your mods here!

Post by Rabirnie »

Dub Rubb wrote:
Rabirnie wrote:Question for you modders: do you all take on builds/mods for other people?

I’m looking to mod my 8926 to honor my children (2 year old daughter and expecting a son in May), but I don’t have the equipment or expertise to get it done. I’d love to have someone complete the build for me and have it in time to wear by the due date.

Couple of questions:
- do you have recommendations for folks?
- what is a reasonable expectation on price for time/labor?
- what is a reasonable expectation on turnaround time?
- any other things I’m missing to consider?

Thanks to any/all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, I usually muck something up on every mod I do, so I wouldn't feel comfortable working on someone else's watch. Unless it was something that you could just chalk up to a loss lol.

Also, it depends on the level of modifications needed. I will say that an 8926 is the perfect watch to attempt your first mods on. You can get almost all the tools you need for a dial/bezel/hand swap for like $25-$30. However better tools are nicer and recommended if you planned on doing more mods.

So what type of mod are you thinking? I am gaining confidence in 8926s as I have now done 5, but not sure I am quite there yet.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
I’ve narrowed it down to 2 choices (pics are from other modders):
Seamaster
Milsub

Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Dub Rubb wrote:
Rabirnie wrote:Question for you modders: do you all take on builds/mods for other people?

I’m looking to mod my 8926 to honor my children (2 year old daughter and expecting a son in May), but I don’t have the equipment or expertise to get it done. I’d love to have someone complete the build for me and have it in time to wear by the due date.

Couple of questions:

Unfortunately, I usually muck something up on every mod I do, so I wouldn't feel comfortable working on someone else's watch. Unless it was something that you could just chalk up to a loss lol.

Also, it depends on the level of modifications needed. I will say that an 8926 is the perfect watch to attempt your first mods on. You can get almost all the tools you need for a dial/bezel/hand swap for like $25-$30. However better tools are nicer and recommended if you planned on doing more mods.

So what type of mod are you thinking? I am gaining confidence in 8926s as I have now done 5, but not sure I am quite there yet.

I’d also like to do a Soxa mod on one of the Sharkey/Steeldive/San Martin Turtles to have an orange watch for Clemson games.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Rabirnie wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:

Couple of questions:

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 choices (pics are from other modders):
Seamaster
Milsub

OK, you are looking for not only swapping out the dial and handset, but also casework as well. I still haven’t done that, but that part would definitely take more time than, and charge more for, a job that didn’t include the casework.

I just don’t follow things in the mod-for-here world to be able to recommend someone. You might post to WUS to see if anyone has a recommendation for you. There are more people over there, so the odds of a hit will be better.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Yobokies (Harold) finally has a real website instead of that Photobucket mess. Link below. [mention]watchpalooza[/mention], could you edit your list HERE when you get a chance? Thanks!

https://www.theyobokies.com/
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 pm Yobokies (Harold) finally has a real website instead of that Photobucket mess. Link below. @watchpalooza, could you edit your list HERE when you get a chance? Thanks!

Done...thanks!
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:Yobokies (Harold) finally has a real website instead of that Photobucket mess. Link below. [mention]watchpalooza[/mention], could you edit your list HERE when you get a chance? Thanks!

I've always admired his dials and hands, but couldn't be bothered with the whole ordering through photobucket. Really glad to see him having his own website! Now he is really on my radar. Time to buy some more 5KXs and 8926s

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

This thread needs a bump.......just like your crazy uncle often did around 2am through much of the 1980's. In case anyone is looking to mod anything soon, what we have here for your consideration is a 28.5mm custom RIP Harambe dial. Happy moddin' folks! Link 👇

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I can’t help in taking this personally, though I am pretty sure I never told you about my crazy uncle. You nailed it except that it was crack and not cocaine. No need to make it personal, but if you are then at least get the details right.

Note, the uncle above is not fictional. And he is my favorite uncle too.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 pm I can’t help in taking this personally, though I am pretty sure I never told you about my crazy uncle. You nailed it except that it was crack and not cocaine. No need to make it personal, but if you are then at least get the details right.

Nope, you never told me. For purposes of tying in the forum phraseology, I guess I just happened to use an example close to home for you. But more generally I think having a "crazy" family member or four is damn near universal. 👍
Last edited by yinzburgher on Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 pm I can’t help in taking this personally, though I am pretty sure I never told you about my crazy uncle. You nailed it except that it was crack and not cocaine. No need to make it personal, but if you are then at least get the details right.

Could be some A-level Monty Python-esque comedy.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am totally serious. I had no idea and maybe 12 years ago my uncle got drunk at Christmas and confessed to my immediate family and my then fiancé that he used to be addicted to crack. My fiancé later asked me why I didn’t warn her. I told her that I didn’t know. My mom turned to us and said that she didn’t know either.

My brother and I were fairly close with our uncle and visited regularly. That brings into question the judgement of my dad, but that is another story.
cheesetime
MoT Member

Post by cheesetime »

Caught the light- modding bug during quarantine. As others have said, it is amazing how good these orient divers look with a domed sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel insert. The stock Ray/Mako already punch above their weight class and for around an additional $100 and a little patience, you can really step these up.

Here is what I have done thus far:

1) Blue Mako 1: Long Island DD crystal, CT submariner bezel, Namoki bezel insert. The insert is sloped, but it fits pretty good. The gap is minimal and frankly only noticeable if you are looking for it. The Long Island crystal seems taller than others so that may help hide the gap better than with other crystals I have tried. Also, I received the insert broken (see 12:00), and have a new one coming. The combo of the sunburst dial and ceramic insert is fantastic in the sun. Pictures do not due it justice.

2) Ray Raven II: CT DD crystal, DLW bezel, DLW flat umber bezel insert. While I like the look of this, I may end up selling it. I just ordered the new Zelos Swordfish (thanks MOT deals forum!) and I don't know if this is going to see much wrist time.

I just picked up a black dialed steel Ray that I think I am going to throw a batman insert on. For whatever reason I am feeling the steel Ray more than I am the Raven's PVD case.

And now for the pics:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

cheesetime wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:02 pm As others have said, it is amazing how good these orient divers look with a domed sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel insert.
Looks good! Nice job. I've never modded an Orient but I definitely agree with this. Especially looks awesome when you can find the exact parts so that the sapphire is flush with and continues the same slope as the ceramic insert.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

cheesetime wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:02 pm Caught the light- modding bug during quarantine. As others have said, it is amazing how good these orient divers look with a domed sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel insert. The stock Ray/Mako already punch above their weight class and for around an additional $100 and a little patience, you can really step these up.

1) Blue Mako 1: Long Island DD crystal, CT submariner bezel, Namoki bezel insert. The insert is sloped, but it fits pretty good. The gap is minimal and frankly only noticeable if you are looking for it. The Long Island crystal seems taller than others so that may help hide the gap better than with other crystals I have tried. Also, I received the insert broken (see 12:00), and have a new one coming. The combo of the sunburst dial and ceramic insert is fantastic in the sun. Pictures do not due it justice.

2) Ray Raven II: CT DD crystal, DLW bezel, DLW flat umber bezel insert. While I like the look of this, I may end up selling it. I just ordered the new Zelos Swordfish (thanks MOT deals forum!) and I don't know if this is going to see much wrist time.

I just picked up a black dialed steel Ray that I think I am going to throw a batman insert on. For whatever reason I am feeling the steel Ray more than I am the Raven's PVD case.

And now for the pics:

These both look incredible...nice work. Do you have the before pictures for comparison?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

cheesetime wrote:Caught the light- modding bug during quarantine. As others have said, it is amazing how good these orient divers look with a domed sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel insert. The stock Ray/Mako already punch above their weight class and for around an additional $100 and a little patience, you can really step these up.

And now for the pics:

Very nice! I put a CT DD on my Ray Raven II as well and love it!
Though it's been sitting in its box for a few months since I'm supposed to be selling it. But definitely love the look of a good DD crystal

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33