As you may have noticed, we we're offline this morning. This was caused by the "Thanks" plug-in going rogue and using up way too many server resources. This triggered an automatic suspension by our hosting provider as they thought it was a malicious attack. The "Thanks" plug-in has been disabled, hopefully temporarily so I can determine if that was indeed the cause, and take steps to prevent it from happening in the future.

I apologize for the disruption and for any confusion that may have caused.

Post your mods here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: Post your mods here!

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:Finished up the 2nd father's day present for the FIL(the other is for my dad). I had Mrs. Dub Rubb pick out the dial, handset and bezel insert. Being that they are both huge warriors fans, she went with a warriors themed FFF mod. Probably not the route I would have gone, but the end result is fantastic (IMO). Here is her dad's and my dad's.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Those are both great. The only thing you might consider is printing out something to insert into the box lid to hide the Invicta text and add a personal touch. Designed and hand modified for INSERT NAME HERE???
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 pm Finished up the 2nd father's day present for the FIL(the other is for my dad). I had Mrs. Dub Rubb pick out the dial, handset and bezel insert. Being that they are both huge warriors fans, she went with a warriors themed FFF mod. Probably not the route I would have gone, but the end result is fantastic (IMO). Here is her dad's and my dad's.
ImageImageImage

I'm several days behind and playing catch up, but these look GREAT! A lot of mods look "cool," but I would straight up open my wallet for one of those.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:Finished up the 2nd father's day present for the FIL(the other is for my dad). I had Mrs. Dub Rubb pick out the dial, handset and bezel insert. Being that they are both huge warriors fans, she went with a warriors themed FFF mod. Probably not the route I would have gone, but the end result is fantastic (IMO). Here is her dad's and my dad's.
ImageImageImage

Those are both great. The only thing you might consider is printing out something to insert into the box lid to hide the Invicta text and add a personal touch. Designed and hand modified for INSERT NAME HERE???
This is a great idea! Unfortunately, Mrs. Dub has already wrapped them with pretty bows and whatnot. Next time. . . If they like them that is!

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Split-Time wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 pm Finished up the 2nd father's day present for the FIL(the other is for my dad). I had Mrs. Dub Rubb pick out the dial, handset and bezel insert. Being that they are both huge warriors fans, she went with a warriors themed FFF mod. Probably not the route I would have gone, but the end result is fantastic (IMO). Here is her dad's and my dad's.
ImageImageImage

I'm several days behind and playing catch up, but these look GREAT! A lot of mods look "cool," but I would straight up open my wallet for one of those.
Thanks man! I appreciate it. Still a noob to modding, but loving it! I am finding the engraving removal and subsequent case polishing is getting better with every one I do. It might be time to revisit my own 8926! Or maybe just get another one or two to mod next time they drop to $50.

TayTay
MoT Member

Post by TayTay »

Gah! I did something to the movement and now it will only tick for a minute or so and then stops. Adjusting the time and/or a bit of a shake gets it going again briefly and then it slows to a stop. My best guess is that I either pressed on the balance wheel by accident or did some damage to seconds hand gear area (I had lined the sec hand up wrong and then pressed it down into the gap between post it attaches to and dial). Welp, probably going to replace the Sea-Gull movement eventually. :(

Anyway, I put it all back together again after trying to save it, so here are some pics. Even though this has shaped up to be a big FAIL, maybe someone will just like to look at it or find a way to avoid a similar outcome themselves.

Oh, btw, ebay case and movement, Ofrei hands and dial. Picked case since is smaller than many others at 42mm, which unfortunately made dial options nearly non-existent via ebay. Ofrei is one of the rare places that offer 37mm or smaller dials for ETA6798 type movement. So many noobie issues with this build haha.

OK, beep boop beep.
Attachments
20190617_213118_HDR s.jpg
20190617_213036_HDR s.jpg
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

TayTay wrote:Gah! I did something to the movement and now it will only tick for a minute or so and then stops. Adjusting the time and/or a bit of a shake gets it going again briefly and then it slows to a stop. My best guess is that I either pressed on the balance wheel by accident or did some damage to seconds hand gear area (I had lined the sec hand up wrong and then pressed it down into the gap between post it attaches to and dial). Welp, probably going to replace the Sea-Gull movement eventually. :(

Anyway, I put it all back together again after trying to save it, so here are some pics. Even though this has shaped up to be a big FAIL, maybe someone will just like to look at it or find a way to avoid a similar outcome themselves.

Oh, btw, ebay case and movement, Ofrei hands and dial. Picked case since is smaller than many others at 42mm, which unfortunately made dial options nearly non-existent via ebay. Ofrei is one of the rare places that offer 37mm or smaller dials for ETA6798 type movement. So many noobie issues with this build haha.

OK, beep boop beep.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! It does look really good though!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

recapt wrote:Image

Just finished this Samurai mod this weekend and I'm officially in love. It's actually a watch that never really caught my eye until I saw a company called namokiMODS post a picture of one with their sandblasted bezel and and vintage stainless steel insert. I had to have it. And I knew it would look great with an Erika's Originals Black Ops strap (22mm, patina hardware) which I had been looking for an excuse to try out. The whole thing came together just as I hoped it would.

I have pretty small wrists and never thought a 44mm case would be an option, but thanks to the short lugs (only 48mm lug-to-lug) it's extremely wearable for me. The MN strap only helps with it wearing small. Glad I tried one of these MN straps, they are super comfortable and look ridiculously cool (I already have another one on order). It just takes a few times to get the hang of buckling it.

By the way, namoki lists these bezels and inserts as being for the Turtle, which they are, but they also fit the Samurai when used in tandem. In other words, their Turtle insert doesn't fit in the stock Samurai bezel and vice versa. You have to buy them as a pair to do this mod.

Links:
https://www.namokimods.com/collections/ ... ted-finish
https://www.namokimods.com/collections/ ... tyle-black
https://erikasoriginals.com/mn-straps/blackops.php
Hi there, I’m thinking of doing this mod to my Samurai Pepsi bezel version. I have never toyed with any of my watches do you think I will be able to do it or should I just take it to my local watch repair shop?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

ossamanity wrote: Hi there, I’m thinking of doing this mod to my Samurai Pepsi bezel version. I have never toyed with any of my watches do you think I will be able to do it or should I just take it to my local watch repair shop?
Thanks!
I think it’s worth trying yourself if you find that sort of thing fun and interesting, especially because you do not have to open up the case back, remove the movement, replace the crystal, or anything else that’s more invasive.

The toughest part is removing your existing bezel, which admittedly I had some trouble with on my Samurai until I figured out the trick. I highly recommend reading this before you get started. I really struggled until I found it: https://www.murphymanufacturing.com/seiko_tutorial.html

As an aside, I just ordered the tire levers mentioned in this WUS post for easier bezel removal. Using plastic instead of metal is always a good idea to avoid scratching.
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/bezel ... 69999.html

In order to get the new bezel on, I recommend buying a cheap crystal press from eBay which can be had for $10-$15. There are more DIY ways to do it but I’ve never used them. Others here might be able to help with alternate techniques. Either way, don’t forget to reuse your bezel spring.

Installing the bezel insert is simple. Just use the tape ring provided to attach it to the new bezel.

It also helps to watch a few YouTube videos before trying things. It helps you understand the work you’ll be doing which gives you more confidence. That goes a long way.
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

recapt wrote:
ossamanity wrote: Hi there, I’m thinking of doing this mod to my Samurai Pepsi bezel version. I have never toyed with any of my watches do you think I will be able to do it or should I just take it to my local watch repair shop?
Thanks!
I think it’s worth trying yourself if you find that sort of thing fun and interesting, especially because you do not have to open up the case back, remove the movement, replace the crystal, or anything else that’s more invasive.

The toughest part is removing your existing bezel, which admittedly I had some trouble with on my Samurai until I figured out the trick. I highly recommend reading this before you get started. I really struggled until I found it: https://www.murphymanufacturing.com/seiko_tutorial.html

As an aside, I just ordered the tire levers mentioned in this WUS post for easier bezel removal. Using plastic instead of metal is always a good idea to avoid scratching.

In order to get the new bezel on, I recommend buying a cheap crystal press from eBay which can be had for $10-$15. There are more DIY ways to do it but I’ve never used them. Others here might be able to help with alternate techniques. Either way, don’t forget to reuse your bezel spring.

Installing the bezel insert is simple. Just use the tape ring provided to attach it to the new bezel.

It also helps to watch a few YouTube videos before trying things. It helps you understand the work you’ll be doing which gives you more confidence. That goes a long way.

Thank you! That's really helpful. This is going to be really fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

recapt wrote:
Thanks!

I will second everything in ossamanity's post. Dave from Murphy Manufacturing made my venture into Invicta mods SOOO much easier with those videos. Great guy and I highly recommend his products too. Great customer service as he took the time to walk me through some things via email.

The one piece of advice I will give you is to put the bezel insert in LAST!!!. I learned this the hard way. Twice. One was misaligned since I put it on the bezel prior to installing the bezel on the watch, and the second time resulted in a shattered ceramic insert.

A bezel swap is very basic, but the first time is always scary. After 2 or 3, it is a piece of cake, especially on a seiko or Vostok. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or just post here.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Froskemann wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:12 pm On ebay, you can buy seiko 6105 homages. I bought an example with this sterile dial.

Do you guys think they use the same dimensions on the bezel like the skx?

So if I wanted to change bezel or insert, I could Just buy a bezel for the skx?

I really do believe so, because I dont see why they would make a whole new bezel for this model, when there is so many options out there.

But it would be great to have it confirmed.
I feel a little bit bad for stealing this from another forum so I at least want to give credit to user axb over on SCWF. Putting together stuff like this requires real effort, even if you enjoy it. Anyway, assuming its accurate, it looks to be a very helpful tool. When looking at the table, an SKX007 = 7s26-0020.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanes ... sizes.html

In searching around the rest of the webs, the consensus seems to be that the bezels are NOT compatible. When it comes to the bezel insert, some people report that they are compatible while others say that they had to file down the insert to get it to fit. And all that is assuming that the homage has all the same exact dimensions as the original. Good luck with it and pics or it didn't happen!

Edit: And more info here on WUS. I couldn't figure out how to paste the info into a new table.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/bezel- ... 18743.html
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

I'm looking for a dark purple or deep blue bezel insert for my 8926 mod. I've looked on ebay and etsy and a few other spots, but mostly just finding black, green, or normal blue. I do think I found a steel bezel insert that looks cool, but nothing I'm looking for exactly. My crystal has purple AR so I'd like to play off that a little.
Anyone ever see any or know maybe where I can find one??

Thank you all!
Insta me: bbrou33
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:22 pm I'm looking for a dark purple or deep blue bezel insert for my 8926 mod. I've looked on ebay and etsy and a few other spots, but mostly just finding black, green, or normal blue. I do think I found a steel bezel insert that looks cool, but nothing I'm looking for exactly. My crystal has purple AR so I'd like to play off that a little.
Anyone ever see any or know maybe where I can find one??

Thank you all!
Looked all over [mention]Bbrou33[/mention], and I don't see anything. There are purple SKX inserts but I couldn't find "Sub" inserts that would fit the 8926. Plenty of blue but most of them are the royal blue like the 9094 and just the occasional navy blue on ebay. I'll keep an eye out but maybe somebody else will have better luck.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I have an insert that would fit that was supposed to be gray, but I find it has a very purplish tint to it. I have to go dig it out of storage, but the purple hue was why I didnt use it. I will try to find and and capture the color in pics for you. If you like it, it's yours.

recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

I just bought my first Vostok and modded it to try and scratch an itch. For a while now, I’ve been hot on this Bell & Ross V2-93 GMT, but I feel it’s significantly overpriced for its specs.

So I bought this Vostok Amphibia 120913 to mod:

And for way under $200 total, I turned it into this:

I’m pretty happy with the result! I think it just might have worked - the itch might actually be scratched.