We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Info about the Seiko SKX discontinuation and its replacement?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Info about the Seiko SKX discontinuation and its replacement?

Post by yinzburgher »

squincher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 am How did it come about that this release-pending 5 Sport watch is a replacement for the SKX? With all the models they produce I suspect one has nothing to do with the other. Perhaps they are simply discontinuing the SKX and just have a new 5 in the pipeline.
I thought the same thing myself. Or perhaps they have a new 5 but there will also be an upgraded SKX and the two really don't have much to do with the other besides case shape. I hope they either keep the SKX as it is or give it an slight upgrade because it is one of the few affordable options for Seiko divers less than 44mm. My worry is that they will discontinue it and then in 10 years at whatever remains of Baselworld, we will see the new SKX with the 8L36 movement at $3500. I guess at least then they will get the alignment fixed.
Last edited by yinzburgher on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I think Seiko “cares” about leaks because there are people tattling like little kids. Otherwise, they’d have no clue.

@robotazky
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:32 am I think Seiko “cares” about leaks because there are people tattling like little kids. Otherwise, they’d have no clue.

@robotazky
I can't imagine who exactly would do that and what they would get out of it but I'm thinking it's likely true. Because how and why else would they know to start snooping around WUS and Facebook groups. I really doubt they normally pay any attention to forums.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:46 amI watched a video on Youtube last week about the replacement for the SKX that actually showed some renders of the new watches. It showed multiple versions of what looked like the SKX but they had a redesigned Seiko 5 logo on it. But the video has since been removed and the guy who made it thinks that Seiko must have asked Youtube to take the video down.
Here is a new video from the guy that put out the one I mentioned above. This new video is all pretty much speculation but it's somewhat relevant as he mentions the previous video and talks about Seiko shuffling around their product line.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:19 pm
Robotaz wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:32 am I think Seiko “cares” about leaks because there are people tattling like little kids. Otherwise, they’d have no clue.

@robotazky
I can't imagine who exactly would do that and what they would get out of it but I'm thinking it's likely true. Because how and why else would they know to start snooping around WUS and Facebook groups. I really doubt they normally pay any attention to forums.
I've dealt with things like this on other forums and social media pages. Large companies will employ a "social media manager" who's responsibilities are to join social media/forum sites and participate by promoting the brand, but also by reporting back things that "shouldn't be out there" yet.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I guess the embargo is over. Here are the aforementioned new Seiko 5 models with what appear to be the SKX case and a 4R36 movement.

Worn & Wound - THE SEIKO 5 SPORTS COLLECTION RELAUNCHES WITH 27 NEW DIVERS

Monochrome - Introducing The 2019 Seiko 5 – New and Revamped

synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

The blackout with blue lume looks like Panerai pam 1616.....and most likely cost less than 10% from the Pam....
OvrSteer

Post by OvrSteer »

Word on the street is October availability in the US...

I'm definitely eager for this one. I hope street pricing settles below $250 at launch, though... I think $150 is a stretch for the first few months. Some of these are likely to be hot commodities.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

New Seiko 5 Sports 5KX/SRPD reviews

Post by yinzburgher »

Now that the SKX is actually discontinued and the new Seiko 5 Sports "5KX" models have been available for a while, I'm curious what you all think. I haven't had a chance to check them out but if I can get the right model at the right price, I may pick one up at some point. Here are just a few reviews linked below. There are of course many more available both on Youtube and in print. Our own deckeda left his thoughts HERE. For any of you that own/owned one of these, I guess my big question is, "At what price point is one of these worth your money?" At what price would you gladly buy one of these? Any other thoughts are welcome too.

MONOCHROME REVIEW

WATCH CLICKER REVIEW

DAPPERED REVIEW

WATCH TIME REVIEW

HODINKEE REVIEW

cortman
MoT Member

Re: New Seiko 5 Sports 5KX/SRPD reviews

Post by cortman »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:43 pm Image

Now that the SKX is actually discontinued and the new Seiko 5 Sports "5KX" models have been available for a while, I'm curious what you all think. I haven't had a chance to check them out but if I can get the right model at the right price, I may pick one up at some point. Here are just a few reviews linked below. There are of course many more available both on Youtube and in print. Our own deckeda left his thoughts HERE. For any of you that own/owned one of these, I guess my big question is, "At what price point is one of these worth your money?" At what price would you gladly buy one of these? Any other thoughts are welcome too.

MONOCHROME REVIEW

WATCH CLICKER REVIEW

DAPPERED REVIEW

WATCH TIME REVIEW

HODINKEE REVIEW

I personally think they're fine. It's great to have so many options available, and it kind of helps replace the scattered models and subseries of the 5 line. Seiko is doing some smart moves with their series consolidation- want an inexpensive diver looking watch with more than enough water resistance for day to day? The 5 line. Want a real true dive watch, ISO certified? The Prospex line.
I don't think they're for me personally though. If it's going to look like a diver I want it to be a diver, screw down crown and 200m water resistance. Plus I actually take my divers diving and use them (I don't have a dive computer) so I want to be sure it's reliable.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: New Seiko 5 Sports 5KX/SRPD reviews

Post by yinzburgher »

cortman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 pm If it's going to look like a diver I want it to be a diver, screw down crown and 200m water resistance.
Generally speaking, this is how I feel but I have to remember that some of my first mechanical watches and first Seikos were old Seiko 5 Sports models and I really enjoyed them and they took all the abuse I could throw at them. I still have a few. And I would still consider buying a SNZH or SNZF as long as the price was right, maybe under $130. I think I would probably consider one of these new ones for under $160 if it was the right model/color scheme. And that's kind of what I'm hoping to hear from those that have one. Is it worth it at $200? $160? $125?