We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:OK, I have contacted @Split-Time about the next leg of Sdelka’s journey. Aside from times when I don’t wear a watch, she has rarely left my wrist. I hadn’t planned on this, but Sdelka’s charm won me over. A very memorable experience in my watch adventure and I am grateful for being a part of it.

Sdelka and my Russian visa from back in 2008.
B5F3817F-7314-4DC8-8748-91082011E2CA.jpeg
D45A43E4-D903-441C-BD75-E8DC27638ABD.jpeg
Please note that the reason for my visit is stated as Olympic Committee Business. I was there to install scientific equipment. I insisted on going on a business visa and not a tourist visa, so my companies Russian associates were able to get me an invitation through the Russian Olympic committee and was told to lie on my visa application to make the reasons line up. I did not lie. Everything was fine, but I was uncomfortable the whole time I was there.

I did get to drink vodka with Russians while I was there, so that is something.
Thanks for taking such good care of her, and for once in the history of the world, there is a parent that is happy his daughter got a tattoo! Lol. I am glad Sdelka left an impression on you and am very thankful that you were able to participate in her journey. She needed to see her dad's home town and you made it happen!

May we all wish her safe travels!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Dub Rubb wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm
Sporkboy wrote:OK, I have contacted @Split-Time about the next leg of Sdelka’s journey. Aside from times when I don’t wear a watch, she has rarely left my wrist. I hadn’t planned on this, but Sdelka’s charm won me over. A very memorable experience in my watch adventure and I am grateful for being a part of it.

Sdelka and my Russian visa from back in 2008.
B5F3817F-7314-4DC8-8748-91082011E2CA.jpeg
D45A43E4-D903-441C-BD75-E8DC27638ABD.jpeg
Please note that the reason for my visit is stated as Olympic Committee Business. I was there to install scientific equipment. I insisted on going on a business visa and not a tourist visa, so my companies Russian associates were able to get me an invitation through the Russian Olympic committee and was told to lie on my visa application to make the reasons line up. I did not lie. Everything was fine, but I was uncomfortable the whole time I was there.

I did get to drink vodka with Russians while I was there, so that is something.
Thanks for taking such good care of her, and for once in the history of the world, there is a parent that is happy his daughter got a tattoo! Lol. I am glad Sdelka left an impression on you and am very thankful that you were able to participate in her journey. She needed to see her dad's home town and you made it happen!

May we all wish her safe travels!

That's funny!

It would have been interesting if the watch had been here during football season, but we are still going to have a good time. Should I prepare my wife for the wrist shots now or later?
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

Post by Wolfsatz »

Her sister has not had any much fun since Sdelka left...

"Sisther.. where are thou?"

ImageVostok on the right date by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Well, well, well! Look what made it to Alabama! I can tell that [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] has packed a watch for travel before. I took notes! His caseback painting really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.

This is the first time I have seen or handled a Vostok, so I had quite the surprise when I unscrewed the crown to set the time..."Oh no! I broke it! How am I going to explain this?" :lol:

It is going to be pretty quiet in the Split-Time household tonight but I wanted everyone to know that Sdelka has arrived in north Alabama. Looking around, this was the most appropriate thing I could think of to take her picture with...my 1987 printing of Red Storm Rising.

whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

Enjoy in good health!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sdelka and I are at my office now, but my son wanted to play a game of Uno before we left home. He gave me the +4 as I was taking this :? . I never have been much for cards. He has been playing Uno, his first card game, for less than a month and he beat me so bad a couple of nights ago that I had twenty cards when he won. Should I be worried?

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Split-Time wrote:Sdelka and I are at my office now, but my son wanted to play a game of Uno before we left home. He gave me the +4 as I was taking this :? . I never have been much for cards. He has been playing Uno, his first card game, for less than a month and he beat me so bad a couple of nights ago that I had twenty cards when he won. Should I be worried?

Teach him black jack

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Wolfsatz
MoT Member

The Traveling Komandirskie. Who wants it?

Post by Wolfsatz »

Split-Time wrote:Sdelka and I are at my office now, but my son wanted to play a game of Uno before we left home. He gave me the +4 as I was taking this :? . I never have been much for cards. He has been playing Uno, his first card game, for less than a month and he beat me so bad a couple of nights ago that I had twenty cards when he won. Should I be worried?

Worry when he moves to Poker! [emoji3531] [emoji3532] [emoji3529] [emoji3531] [emoji3532]

Seems he already has the outfit for it

Sent from Cyberspace Central Command
:arrow:... What time is it? :mrgreen:
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Bbrou33 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am

Teach him black jack

I don't even know black jack. The other day I thought he should look into solitaire so I can get some of my free time back :lol: . My academic specialty and interest is system reliability, probability of failure and how design changes influence reliability and failure modes...riveting, I know. The only reason I mention that is that there is a probability component to cards that is really interesting to me, but I don't want to start down that rabbit hole.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Wolfsatz wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:45 am

Worry when he moves to Poker! [emoji3531] [emoji3532] [emoji3529] [emoji3531] [emoji3532]

Seems he already has the outfit for it

Sent from Cyberspace Central Command
The look is all 5 year old dressing himself. It was in the low 20's this morning so he was excited to wear the R2D2 hat. I don't know where he found those sunglasses, but I wasn't going to tell him what he looked like for fear that he would wear them all the time when we played!
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I am dying right now! He Looks like a straight card shark from WSOP and is kicking your ass to boot! You ain't never gonna see his poker face! Get him some headphones and its game over man.

Southern Bamboo

Post by Southern Bamboo »

Split-Time wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:03 am
Bbrou33 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am

Teach him black jack

I don't even know black jack. The other day I thought he should look into solitaire so I can get some of my free time back :lol: . My academic specialty and interest is system reliability, probability of failure and how design changes influence reliability and failure modes...riveting, I know. The only reason I mention that is that there is a probability component to cards that is really interesting to me, but I don't want to start down that rabbit hole.
Very cool - do you work for NASA? We have a friend (AU grad) who does Systems Programming on the Mars Lunar mission. Very cool stuff.

We have a lot of NASA stuff down here in Auburn, too. It's always funny to me to be driving through rural Alabama, and next to a corn or peanut field you'll see an Aerospace company...
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Southern Bamboo wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:59 pm
Split-Time wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:03 am
Bbrou33 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am Teach him black jack

Very cool - do you work for NASA? We have a friend (AU grad) who does Systems Programming on the Mars Lunar mission. Very cool stuff.

We have a lot of NASA stuff down here in Auburn, too. It's always funny to me to be driving through rural Alabama, and next to a corn or peanut field you'll see an Aerospace company...
No, I do not even work in aerospace. I do use (or used to use) some tools, like Fault Tree Analysis, which were created by NASA during the early manned spaceflight programs...so I often get sidetracked studying how NASA used the tools. One of my professors, who I consider a mentor, retired from pretty high up within NASA and I stay in pretty close contact with him. It's fascinating to get his technical and ethical opinions on the privatization of manned spaceflight, but he's not much of a watch man :lol: .

I'd like to meet your friend. I have been going to the Space and Rocket Center my entire life. My grandmother used to take me every week and at this point in my life I can't imagine that. We did have a membership at the time, and we have one for our family now, so it wasn't a money thing but a whole lot of time.

Huntsville is a fascinating place. Of the six houses immediately around me, at least on person in each house (including my wife) works in spaceflight, defense, or some other techy business.

It has been raining up here and the watch and I haven't been doing anything interesting other than working too much. We did try to get into something yesterday but were told to come back today...when I am supposed to be working. Stay tuned!
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Dub Rubb wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 pm

I am dying right now! He Looks like a straight card shark from WSOP and is kicking your ass to boot! You ain't never gonna see his poker face! Get him some headphones and its game over man.

I know :( . Worst part? It was about 6:30 in the morning.
Southern Bamboo

Post by Southern Bamboo »

Sounds good, next time I'm in H'ville I'll ping you and introduce you. She's really cool, AU engineer who does landing systems or chute deployment for the Mars lander.

She helped my daughter design her middle-school lunar lander project that the teacher dropped from a second story onto pavement, inside was a rover and an egg. The rover had to roll / not crack up on landing, and the egg had to be intact. You had a finite list of materials that you could use, and a finite amount.

Needless to say she kicked everyone's butts :-)

Something about a triangulated space frame using straws. The ones at Wendy's are the best, apparently!