We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, if there are no objections, this is the dial that I am going to use for the first run of lumed dials. Most will be the going broke motto, but I will make an est. version for MoT and by request. Please comment, because once I start making them, they will likely be what you guys are going to get.
MoTLumeDial_1.0.png
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:53 pm OK, if there are no objections, this is the dial that I am going to use for the first run of lumed dials. Most will be the going broke motto, but I will make an est. version for MoT and by request. Please comment, because once I start making them, they will likely be what you guys are going to get.
MoTLumeDial_1.0.png
They look great to me!! I prefer the est. dial. Love reading your progress on this.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

They look fantastic!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thanks guys. I just hope you aren’t disappointed with the final dials. No timeline yet as I need to finalize the dial luming process. I will keep everyone posted.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I'm sure they're going to look great. You did a amazing job on the other dials. Just take your time.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

lol, this is one of the best organic growth topics I’ve seen. The history behind this is hilarious.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Robotaz wrote:lol, this is one of the best organic growth topics I’ve seen. The history behind this is hilarious.
I get the organic growth comment, but I am afraid that I am too close to the topic to see the hilarious history behind it. Can you enlighten me here?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Lumed the seconds hand and bezel. I need to get some of that blue lume powder on order...

Anyway, aside from a new dial that has the correct text, I think this is looking pretty good. Additional pictures will be posted on the lume thread.
ImageImage
Robotaz
MoT Member

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Robotaz »

Sporkboy wrote:
Robotaz wrote:lol, this is one of the best organic growth topics I’ve seen. The history behind this is hilarious.
I get the organic growth comment, but I am afraid that I am too close to the topic to see the hilarious history behind it. Can you enlighten me here?
The entire history of the forum, and now a branded watch, is hilarious when you think about a few butt-hurt mods at WUS. You sound a bit defensive. Really has nothing to do with you what I’m saying.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:29 am
Sporkboy wrote:
The entire history of the forum, and now a branded watch, is hilarious when you think about a few butt-hurt mods at WUS. You sound a bit defensive. Really has nothing to do with you what I’m saying.
Sorry, not defensive at all, just curious. We are all friendly here, so I didn't assume any ill intent at all. I just didn't understand where the humor came from. The thought did cross my mind that it had to do with the origin of the forum splitting off from WUS, so we are on the same page.

I agree that it is hilarious in that sense. I wonder how long it took WUS or BSH to have their first branded watch, let alone a full lume dial one.

If anyone knows of anyone else doing full lume dials at the hobby scale, please let me know. I know there is an eBay auction for a full lume dial watch with the text of your choice on it, but other than that, I don't know of anyone. I should probably wander over to the watchmaking section of WUS.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Tried a jig I made to get an even coat of lume on the dial and it nearly works. Each dial had a low area that is 0.1 mm lower than the rest (0.7mm vs 0.8mm) given that the dial is 0.4mm, that is 25% less lume on the low spots.

I am thinking that I need to apply extra lume and then sand down to a nice even surface. I did some brief sanding experiments, but the lume was greatly diminished. I am guessing that if I sanded it down fine enough that the lume power would not drop as much as it would be a clear vs. scratched up surface through which the light travels.

The short version is that I am not quite there yet.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

A big thank you goes out to @Watchpalooza for digging through his parts collection and sending me nearly 40 dials in the 28.5mm size. This should allow me to make a bunch of MoT dials. The current queue is 4, so these should last me a while.

Also included were a bunch of little rectangle dials that I can use for lume tests. That is nice because now I don’t have to remove the lume from a test to reclaim the dial (losing the reference work).

I am only showing a few of the dials, but there are lots of them.

Once again, I am impressed with the togetherness and generosity that exists in our little corner of the web.

Thank you @Watchpalooza!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

REALLY glad these finally got to you, and happy to support your madness! I like both the established and the going broke dials....exceptional work, my friend. I will be on the lookout for crowns and hands that may be of use to you.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

You know how vintage dials often used radium in the lume? I now have some 40 dials with radium.

Just to be safe, I took a few of the dials to the radiation safety officer I happen to know and I now have a Geiger counter, instructions and a special container with absorbent material for the disposal of the radium. Oh the things I do for you guys.

On the plus side, how many people have a Geiger counter as part of their watch repair kit?

My desk needs a tidy up, but I thought you guys would appreciate it. How many fun things can you spot?
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:51 pm You know how vintage dials often used radium in the lume? I now have some 40 dials with radium.

Just to be safe, I took a few of the dials to the radiation safety officer I happen to know and I now have a Geiger counter, instructions and a special container with absorbent material for the disposal of the radium. Oh the things I do for you guys.

On the plus side, how many people have a Geiger counter as part of their watch repair kit?
The brief history of radium in watchmaking is a very interesting one. It was actually used for many other applications, such as airplane instrument dials, and was only discarded after the grisly fate of the so called "Radium Girls" became apparent. At the time it was considered harmless at the very least, and many declared it a kind of wonder drug. It wasn't uncommon to treat such complaints as gout, arthritis, and rheumatism with a radium-infused beverage (all complete quackery, of course). If you want to learn more, check out this lecture by Kathleen McGivney.