We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

Instead of taking over the watch mods thread, I figured that it was time to break this one out.

I have been busy utilizing cheap watches and water transfer decals in order to try to make some passable MoT watches. So far I have made 2 and I have more base watches on order. The current design is in flux and I am thinking about making it a fair deal chunkier since it is currently good, but feels a little light.
Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 1.17.19 PM.png

Special thanks goes to Boston Charlie for finding me the donor watch (Nixon Mod via Watchgooroo on eBay) and with some of the layout issues. Others have also provided feedback, which is greatly appreciated, I just wanted to single out BC as he's helped this move along.

I will add reference photos shortly.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by yinzburgher »

You mentioned in the mod thread that you don't really care for the hands on the white dial watch. I don't think they look bad but I imagine they would look better if they more closely matched the indices in color and width. Also, eastern arabic/indic numerals and "mot" in the hmt font would would make that janata 👌.

[img]https://4.imimg.com/data4/PI/OR/ANDROID ... 0x500.jpeg[/img]
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Did some work on the source files today, calibrated the printer and found some promising settings today. It is looking better, but any none 90 degree lines look jagged for the dark dial.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 7cdde0.jpg[/IMG]

I got my second batch of Nixon watches today.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... efb20f.jpg[/IMG]

I should note that almost everything about the dial design is up for discussion and critique. The only thing that has to be in the design is MoT or Man on Time for obvious reasons.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

How about the unofficial (or official?) forum motto on the dial: Going broke by saving money.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I think Sporkboy or SB Design or something similar to give credit where credit is due is reasonable.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:37 pm I think Sporkboy or SB Design or something similar to give credit where credit is due is reasonable.
MAKE THE SECOND HAND A TINY SPORK!
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:43 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:37 pm I think Sporkboy or SB Design or something similar to give credit where credit is due is reasonable.

:lol:

That would be awesome.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:

That would be awesome.
If I can do something unobtrusive within the limitations of my printer then I will do something for Sporkboy credit.

I have thought long and hard about how to make a spork second hand. So far I haven’t figured out a way to make it durable and easy to manufacture. I might make a small spinning spork in the middle, but I would love to have a second hand that terminated into a spork shape. I may be able to 3D print something that could be viable for a central spinner, but that is about all I have come up with.

Once I have a design I am happy with then I can send anyone interested a few decals (a couple of practice decals and a couple of good ones) so that they can make their own if they are interested.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Boourns wrote:How about the unofficial (or official?) forum motto on the dial: Going broke by saving money.
I tried it, but I haven’t put it on an actual dial yet.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 6dbbab.jpg[/IMG]
sistem_32
MoT Member

Post by sistem_32 »

Sporkboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm
ManOnTime wrote:

That would be awesome.
I have thought long and hard about how to make a spork second hand. So far I haven’t figured out a way to make it durable and easy to manufacture. I might make a small spinning spork in the middle, but I would love to have a second hand that terminated into a spork shape. I may be able to 3D print something that could be viable for a central spinner, but that is about all I have come up with.
What about a transparent disk with a spork printed on it? Something like the Zodiac Astrographic. I don't know if that would satisfy the weight/balance requirements though.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

sistem_32 wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm
ManOnTime wrote:

That would be awesome.
What about a transparent disk with a spork printed on it? Something like the Zodiac Astrographic. I don't know if that would satisfy the weight/balance requirements though.
That is a thought I hadn’t had before. Since it is quartz, and not a Rhonda model, a plastic disk could cause the movement to stall out. It is a possibility though.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I am loving this idea. If you make the dials available(once you are happy with the quality) I will break my WPAC commitment and buy another 8926 to accommodate it. If the dials will fit seiko movements that is.

Regardless, great work and I am loving the progress you are making. Every new iteration has been better than the previous! I will echo the sentiment about trying to get the MoT font closer to the original HMT font, but would buy one either way. Great project and initiative you have going on here. A freaking spork second hand would put this ish over the top though!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:I am loving this idea. If you make the dials available(once you are happy with the quality) I will break my WPAC commitment and buy another 8926 to accommodate it. If the dials will fit seiko movements that is.

Regardless, great work and I am loving the progress you are making. Every new iteration has been better than the previous! I will echo the sentiment about trying to get the MoT font closer to the original HMT font, but would buy one either way. Great project and initiative you have going on here. A freaking spork second hand would put this ish over the top though!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Once I figure out how to get everything to scale correctly, changing the size to accommodate any dial should be trivial to do. I do have one such dial that I am going to play with once I get things down with the Nixon Mod dial. Do note that I can provide decals, but it will take some work to get it on the dial.

Sad news on the HMT. The screw back caseback was loose to begin with and in removing it the threads slipped and it is now bound together. I am still trying to figure it out though.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I keep making progress, but I feel that I am not getting closer somehow. Anyway, here are the latest images, though anything looks bad if you zoom in enough. It may be that I just need to get one on a dial and see what it looks like cased.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... cebb93.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... fccb99.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 8f169a.jpg[/IMG]

I still get different print quality in different sections of the page-frustrating.