We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by PetWatch »

It looks well proportioned. The numerals could be made slightly smaller but they're fine as is. Consider removing the Est altogether, more empty space would be fine there too, but that's the opposite of what you're asking for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

PetWatch wrote:It looks well proportioned. The numerals could be made slightly smaller but they're fine as is. Consider removing the Est altogether, more empty space would be fine there too, but that's the opposite of what you're asking for.

I think that by wanting to ‘fill up the dial’ I was thinking of a way to resolve the lack of balance between the text at 6 and 12.

The problem is that the 12 looks bigger than the 3 and 9 even though the font size is the same. On the 3 and 9, I aligned ether the hour indices at 2 and 4, and then picked the size accordingly. Because the numerals at 6 and 12 are going into the dial vertically, they go past their corresponding indices. I will have to check to see what other dials do here.

OK, so I have the 12 pushing way down and then the MoT text in there and it is feeling a bit crowded.

Removing the text at 6 is interesting, and I think it would work if I could get away with something smaller for the text at 12 (like Sinn), but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

I am glad the consensus is that it is well proportioned as We have worked to make it that way. I have looked at a lot of dials and have quite a few reference pics, but I still keep finding new design elements to be considered. I need to capture all of this in a post so it can be a reference to others. This post should be a good reference, but pulling out individual aspects and elaborating would probably be more helpful.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. As stated, I will center the text at 6, look at the 12/6 vs. 3/9 problem and then walk away from the design unless a glaring problem pops up.

Edit:
Actually, in thinking about this I realized that the 3/6/9/12 font is different from the 12/28/18 font. I picked the 6/12 text font separately to work with MoT vs. a favorite numeral font (Din). I will fix this and see how it looks.

You can see how the 1 and 2 currently differ.
ImageImage
Would this bother anyone? Probably not, but it cannot be unseen. Would it be a testament to my amateur designer status? Yes, but I am trying to improve, so if it doesn’t look completely wrong to change it to match then it should probably be done.

Can you mix fonts on a single line and still be OK visually? I think you can if the size and kerning match up and it is letters vs numbers and no characters repeat on both sides.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Previous version on the left, new one on the right.

I centered the text both at 12 and 6. I adjusted the spacing of numerals from the edge so that they are consistent. I couldn't get the two fonts to work together, so we are stuck with this unless I get better at this stuff suddenly.

I still have some dials to look at, but I think that this is an improvement. Does it address the concerns raised above?

Another is that Matt seems to have snuck in a logo onto the site. That will need to be another version later as I want to run with this design for now.

MoT_FC1vsFC2.png
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, going with the newly spaced layout, I've got more options.
Here is with the larger font and something a bit more in line with what others are doing. I may have gone a bit big, but I kind of dig it anyway. I may have been overcompensating for the lack of width on the font I chose.
12vs14_4Font.png
Here are options with the text at 6 removed.
Without6Text.png
As always, your thoughts are appreciated.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am OK, going with the newly spaced layout, I've got more options.
Here is with the larger font and something a bit more in line with what others are doing. I may have gone a bit big, but I kind of dig it anyway. I may have been overcompensating for the lack of width on the font I chose.
12vs14_4Font.png

Without6Text.png

Of these four, I am preferring BOTTOM LEFT.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

+1 for BOTTOM LEFT

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am OK, going with the newly spaced layout, I've got more options.
12vs14_4Font.png

Without6Text.png

Top left for me...what can I say...like the Est...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Well,OK. I am hearing that we like the big numerals. I will say that I am partial to them myself, so they will stay. There is likely to be an even split on the text at 6, so I will keep it for now, but it is easy to remove down the road for an alternate dial.

rich_in_the_lou
MoT Member

Post by rich_in_the_lou »

I like this one
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

12vs14_4Font.png

Without6Text.png

I think they all look good but forced to pick I'll say top left.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

BL, TL, BR would be my preference.

Not to throw another kink in but I think what may throw the balance off at this point is the angle at which the 6 and 9, long banked line, oppose each other, when you look for it. Nothing major, most wouldn't notice it unless it's pointed out, and it's fine with me.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

PetWatch wrote:BL, TL, BR would be my preference.

Not to throw another kink in but I think what may throw the balance off at this point is the angle at which the 6 and 9, long banked line, oppose each other, when you look for it. Nothing major, most wouldn't notice it unless it's pointed out, and it's fine with me.

I see it, but to me it doesn’t strike my brain as ‘something is amiss here and I can’t put my thumb on it’, which is what usually happens for me. However, now you have me looking at it. I will allow this bit of visual design wisdom to percolate for a while and see if it starts to bother me. For now I will let the font selection stand unless there is a huge outcry of protest.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I'm partial to either of the top two. I like the Est on the dial.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Big numeral EST would be my choice.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I wasn’t planning on any purchases for a while, but Yinzburgher came in with a generous contribution to the MoT dial cause that will provide for UV resin, a UV lamp (that should really speed up the luming process, and a container of blue lume!

Thank you Yinzburgher! It turns out he really wanted to see blue full lumed dials happen some time in the future. I am unsure as to how this will turn out, but I appreciate the help here.

The first run of lumed dials will be green as I know that those will work well. That will allow me to play with the blue and see if it is viable to offer as an option going forward (quite likely). Of course, Yinzburgher gets the first of the blue dials well in advance of them being generally available.