We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Dorothyparker
MoT Member

Re: Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Post by Dorothyparker »

The Calame with the DD.
Named after the company’s founder, Ariste Calame. The case is thick (15mm) because it has a Swiss-made chronograph automatic, ETA 2824 Base and Dubois-Depraz 2020 Module, total 51 Jewels, 28800 vph.
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Bbrou33 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00 amThe spring bar that catches the clasp to hold it in place, also on occasion goes out too far, causing the clasp to get stuck closed.
Could you replace it with a shorter spring bar or would that risk the clasp failing the other way - falling apart unexpectedly?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Sussa wrote:
Bbrou33 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:00 amThe spring bar that catches the clasp to hold it in place, also on occasion goes out too far, causing the clasp to get stuck closed.
Could you replace it with a shorter spring bar or would that risk the clasp failing the other way - falling apart unexpectedly?
I was actually coming here to say that the problem had been "fixed".
I didn't really do anything other than continually open and close the clasp many times until it just wouldn't get stuck anymore. I think the little protruding ends of the bars, or the holes in the clasp, just weren't machined or finished just right. After causing a little wear on them now it holds it in place but releases like butter when it's supposed to!

However, after wearing it around the house and out in the wild one day, while I really like it, I don't think I love it. So it'll be going up for sale soon if anyone is interested.

In other Zodiac news, I'm still waiting to hear from the Fossil facility if the status of my jetomatic that I sent in.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 pm
Sussa wrote:
I was actually coming here to say that the problem had been "fixed".
I didn't really do anything other than continually open and close the clasp many times until it just wouldn't get stuck anymore. I think the little protruding ends of the bars, or the holes in the clasp, just weren't machined or finished just right. After causing a little wear on them now it holds it in place but releases like butter when it's supposed to!

However, after wearing it around the house and out in the wild one day, while I really like it, I don't think I love it. So it'll be going up for sale soon if anyone is interested.

In other Zodiac news, I'm still waiting to hear from the Fossil facility if the status of my jetomatic that I sent in.

That's good news. I read what was wrong with it a few times but couldn't figure out what you meant lol. Hopefully you hear something about the Jet-o-matic soon. I think I'm going to be letting go of a couple of my Zodiacs too. Not sure about this one. Still thinking about it. It'll be tough to let go but I probably should try to get down to just two.

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

BLACK FRIDAY '18 WATCH STATION JETOMATIC UPDATE!

So after spending 3ish weeks away, my Jetomatic was returned to me. I had no communication with the radiator center during this time so want sure what they were doing or fixing. According to their invoice under completed repairs "Movement" is listed so I'm hoping it's a brand new movement.
I'm happy to say that upon initial assessment, all issues appear to be fixed! The original crown not easily going back into the first position during screwdown and causing the date to change is fixed. The crown actually very satisfactorily clicks into all positions and back very nicely.
The newest issue with not being about to advance the hands while setting the time has also been fixed. I did a full 24 hour rotation and was scared the entire time. But it works!
Currently testing timing and making sure per reserve is in tact but the case back and movement look clean. Everything is checking out so fingers crossed that I finally have a solid working timepiece!

ImageImageImage

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 am BLACK FRIDAY '18 WATCH STATION JETOMATIC UPDATE!

So after spending 3ish weeks away, my Jetomatic was returned to me. I had no communication with the radiator center during this time so want sure what they were doing or fixing. According to their invoice under completed repairs "Movement" is listed so I'm hoping it's a brand new movement.
I'm happy to say that upon initial assessment, all issues appear to be fixed! The original crown not easily going back into the first position during screwdown and causing the date to change is fixed. The crown actually very satisfactorily clicks into all positions and back very nicely.
The newest issue with not being about to advance the hands while setting the time has also been fixed. I did a full 24 hour rotation and was scared the entire time. But it works!
Currently testing timing and making sure per reserve is in tact but the case back and movement look clean. Everything is checking out so fingers crossed that I finally have a solid working timepiece!

ImageImageImage

🤞 I really really really hope this works for you from now on. That's a great looking watch! I'm having thoughts to downsize my Zodiacs including my blue SSW but I'm afraid I would miss it and regret selling.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Bbrou33 wrote:BLACK FRIDAY '18 WATCH STATION JETOMATIC UPDATE!

ImageImageImage

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll send mine back for a third time lmao. Otherwise I'm just selling it
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:54 pm
Bbrou33 wrote:BLACK FRIDAY '18 WATCH STATION JETOMATIC UPDATE!

ImageImageImage

That's good to hear. Maybe I'll send mine back for a third time lmao. Otherwise I'm just selling it
I would send in for a third attempt if you really like the watch in hopes they may now have some spare movements. Maybe a new technician after all the complaints they must have received, or the tech just finished his apprenticeship and his bag of chips. I would explain your ordeal and request that it be thoroughly tested before being sent back to you. Good luck, cause that's what it seems to take when it comes to Zodiac.
BTerry2233
MoT Member

Post by BTerry2233 »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 am BLACK FRIDAY '18 WATCH STATION JETOMATIC UPDATE!

ImageImageImage

I recently sent my Super Sea Wolf in for repairs after holding off on doing so for ages. Contrary to my expectations service was quick and issues were fixed (like Bbrou33 only communication I received were that it had arrived & a message from Fedex that they had sent me a package)

Good to see Fossil / Zodiac have addressed their service department issues
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

BTerry2233 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:56 pm I recently sent my Super Sea Wolf in for repairs after holding off on doing so for ages. Contrary to my expectations service was quick and issues were fixed (like Bbrou33 only communication I received were that it had arrived & a message from Fedex that they had sent me a package)

Good to see Fossil / Zodiac have addressed their service department issues
Over in the SSW thread at WUS, a couple people said that the service center hired more skilled watchmakers. However I have no idea if that is actually reliable information. What was wrong with yours if I may ask?
BTerry2233
MoT Member

Post by BTerry2233 »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 pm
Over in the SSW thread at WUS, a couple people said that the service center hired more skilled watchmakers. However I have no idea if that is actually reliable information. What was wrong with yours if I may ask?
It was randomly stopping.. would start going again with a firm tap. Finally sent sent it after it started to slip gears when adjusting the time forward (just like Bbrou33 was experiencing)
After reading this thread I had prepared myself for a fight to get it fixed, but it was super painless..
I am curious whether they ending up fixing or just swapping out the movement, as its been much better/ accurate / smoother etc.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

BTerry2233 wrote:
yinzburgher wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 pm
It was randomly stopping.. would start going again with a firm tap. Finally sent sent it after it started to slip gears when adjusting the time forward (just like Bbrou33 was experiencing)
After reading this thread I had prepared myself for a fight to get it fixed, but it was super painless..
I am curious whether they ending up fixing or just swapping out the movement, as its been much better/ accurate / smoother etc.
I've been wondering the same thing. It honestly feels like a new watch as opposed to the first time I got it back. So I believe it's a new movement. Either way, so far I'm much happier this time around.

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

ZO9905 Sea Dragon

Lunarlovegood

Post by Lunarlovegood »

I have this beautiful Zodiac but have no idea what model it is or even how old it is. I haven't been able to find another one like it anywhere. Does someone here maybe have an idea?