Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

PetWatch wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:42 pm
AceRimmer wrote:I jumped on the Jetomatic. I figured that I could always resell it if I thought the dial looked flat.

The good news is that I like the dial. The bad news is that winding the watch feels "gritty" instead of smooth. Winding the watch also moves the rotor! Trying to decide if I should return it or send it to Fossil for repairs... Anyone have experience with Fossil warranty work?
Yes I just wound mine. I see what you mean about the gritty feeling, not the greatest action but I've felt worse on my Sea-Gull watches. And for mine winding it moves the rotor as well but not proportional to the rotations I apply. If that makes sense.

Does anyone know if it has protection against over winding?
I agree with this, certainly not smooth but not gritty either, somewhere in between. My rotor does not spin when winding but does move a little sometimes. These movements are based on the ETA 2824-2, lots of info on these with basically two camps, one says don't hand wind much because some parts are prone to wear, the other camp says it doesn't matter much. Mixed opinion on over winding protection too. I also found that the rotor turning when winding is likely due to faulty lubrication on the reverse wheels, a simple fix. Some of these watches may not have been properly lubricated to start out and may have been sitting for a long time.

I wind mine auto's slowly, usually no more than 10-15 turns (some only give it a couple turns to get it moving) and let them fully wind automatically on the wrist, then reset the time later the next day if necessary.
I agree with the rotor movement on mine. It's not a full turn it just moved a bit. I will probably just hand wind mine a bit but mostly just move it to wind it.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
AceRimmer
MoT Member

Post by AceRimmer »

I'm definitely not over winding it. The "gritty" sensation happens even with the first wind.

I'm curious why no one else is thinking about sending it in to be serviced? Isn't this a problem that will get worse with time?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

AceRimmer wrote:I'm definitely not over winding it. The "gritty" sensation happens even with the first wind.

I'm curious why no one else is thinking about sending it in to be serviced? Isn't this a problem that will get worse with time?
Not necessarily a problem. Sometimes movements just wind "rough". If you've ever had a Sea-Gull movement you'll know what I mean. I don't think it's actually doing any harm to the movement even though it feels like it is. But nonetheless it never hurts to ask zodiac or watchstation directly about it (zodiac is probably more helpful).
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

When I wound mine this morning, it's not silky smooth but its definitely not gritty. My rotor quivers slightly when I hand wind it but that's it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Jdanefrantz wrote:When I wound mine this morning, it's not silky smooth but its definitely not gritty. My rotor quivers slightly when I hand wind it but that's it.

Yeah that's exactly how I would describe mine is. I don't think it's worth sending in for repair yet, but who knows maybe it is supposed to be smoother. Every movement in my watches is different, my Sea-Gull ST16 is very rough, my sw200s are extremely smooth, my eta2824 is pretty smooth, my 6r15 is similar to the 2824, my 4r36 is also about the same. To me the stp3-13 falls somewhere between the ST16 and the 6r15. Not as good as an ETA 2824 for winding, but nowhere near as gritty as an ST16.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

I tell you one thing that has been bugging me about the Jetomatic is screwing the crown back in without changing the date. I mean I've owned a lot of different watches with screw down crowns and have never had this problem. My accuracy is really concerning me too. I've been running over + 30 s/d for a week and today was right at 59 s/d. Im thinking it's time to send it in.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Jdanefrantz wrote:I tell you one thing that has been bugging me about the Jetomatic is screwing the crown back in without changing the date. I mean I've owned a lot of different watches with screw down crowns and have never had this problem. My accuracy is really concerning me too. I've been running over + 30 s/d for a week and today was right at 59 s/d. Im thinking it's time to send it in.

Yeah that sounds like a problem to me. I haven't been paying too close attention to the accuracy on mine but I haven't had to set the time since the 25th or 26th. And I didn't notice anything about the date changing when screwing the crown down.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Jdanefrantz wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:48 pm I tell you one thing that has been bugging me about the Jetomatic is screwing the crown back in without changing the date. I mean I've owned a lot of different watches with screw down crowns and have never had this problem. My accuracy is really concerning me too. I've been running over + 30 s/d for a week and today was right at 59 s/d. Im thinking it's time to send it in.

I don't know the rated accuracy for this STP movement but that seems definitely unacceptable, at least to me. No issue with date changing when screwing in the crown on mine. Let us know how things develop if you send it back.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Do Clebar's (Zodiac) count?

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Well it's a sad day. My Zodiac Jetomatic that I got 4 days ago stopped running 20 minutes ago...

I've wound it by hand as much as I can and it isn't doing anything, and I cannot wind it any further without breaking the movement. Shaking it to rotate the rotor is not doing anything either :(
This totally sucks because I love this watch. Now I gotta figure out how the hell to send it to Zodiac, even though it was purchased at Watchstation in the US, they didn't fill out the warranty card, and it was sent to me in Canada by a friend on their card... should be fun.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Well it's a sad day. My Zodiac Jetomatic that I got 4 days ago stopped running 20 minutes ago...

I've wound it by hand as much as I can and it isn't doing anything, and I cannot wind it any further without breaking the movement. Shaking it to rotate the rotor is not doing anything either :(
This totally sucks because I love this watch. Now I gotta figure out how the hell to send it to Zodiac, even though it was purchased at Watchstation in the US, they didn't fill out the warranty card, and it was sent to me in Canada by a friend on their card... should be fun.
Aww man I am sorry to hear that, that's going to be a tough return. They didn't stamp my warranty card either. I filed a warranty repair late last night and got a "repair request authorization #". They ask to send the form in and a copy of your online transaction to verify proof of purchase. I have a bad feeling they will be getting more than a few of these back. Makes you wonder why they went on sale.... I'd like to know if anyone who bought the Sea Wolf are having any issues. This is the first watch I have ever had to send in for warranty work.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Jdanefrantz wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Well it's a sad day. My Zodiac Jetomatic that I got 4 days ago stopped running 20 minutes ago...

Aww man I am sorry to hear that, that's going to be a tough return. They didn't stamp my warranty card either. I filed a warranty repair late last night and got a "repair request authorization #". They ask to send the form in and a copy of your online transaction to verify proof of purchase. I have a bad feeling they will be getting more than a few of these back. Makes you wonder why they went on sale.... I'd like to know if anyone who bought the Sea Wolf are having any issues. This is the first watch I have ever had to send in for warranty work.

Yeah exactly. I have owned over 45 watches, and this is the first I've had an issue with. I wonder how they'll deal with it since we have no stamped cards. Now I gotta try and get the receipt from my friend.
AceRimmer
MoT Member

Post by AceRimmer »

I've decided to return the Jetomatic. My decision was helped in part by the arrival of another blue dial watch.

I REALLY like Zodiac designs but I think the quality is lacking a bit. I had to return a Sea Wolf (bought on the bay) because of a hair on the dial. I also returned a Sea Dragon (bought from Watchstation) because it was difficult to get the crown to stop at the first position and the keeper on the strap was a slightly different color then the rest of the strap.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

I have read of past problems with the older STP movements that I thought would have been corrected by now. Hopefully these are just a few rare defects. Fossil Group claims they do all their manufacturing in their Swiss plants or are obtained from local suppliers (manufacturers?) and are assembled on site in Switzerland with the help of robotic automation.

Maybe they need to tighten their QC.

Article from which I gathered this info, interesting read, from A Blog to Watch:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/visit-stp- ... nswer-eta/
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

PetWatch wrote:I have read of past problems with the older STP movements that I thought would have been corrected by now. Hopefully these are just a few rare defects. Fossil Group claims they do all their manufacturing in their Swiss plants or are obtained from local suppliers (manufacturers?) and are assembled on site in Switzerland with the help of robotic automation.

Maybe they need to tighten their QC.

Article from which I gathered this info, interesting read, from A Blog to Watch:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/visit-stp- ... nswer-eta/
Yes that's true. But I've been talking to Fossil and Zodiac and they have a repair center in Texas as well which supposedly can repair the stp movements. That's where mine is being sent at least. They said if they can't fix it or replace it I will get a credit for the MSRP of the watch. So $995 USD.