Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Re: Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Post by Perdendosi »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:
PetWatch wrote:I have read of past problems with the older STP movements that I thought would have been corrected by now. Hopefully these are just a few rare defects. Fossil Group claims they do all their manufacturing in their Swiss plants or are obtained from local suppliers (manufacturers?) and are assembled on site in Switzerland with the help of robotic automation.

Maybe they need to tighten their QC.

Article from which I gathered this info, interesting read, from A Blog to Watch:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/visit-stp- ... nswer-eta/
Yes that's true. But I've been talking to Fossil and Zodiac and they have a repair center in Texas as well which supposedly can repair the stp movements. That's where mine is being sent at least. They said if they can't fix it or replace it I will get a credit for the MSRP of the watch. So $995 USD.
Wow. That's amazing.

BTW everybody ALL automatic watches have overwind protection--theres a clutch that disengages the winding mechanism when the mainspring is fully wound (either by the rotor or the crown). If not, the rotor would overwind the movement just by every day wear on your wrist!

You never have to worry about overwinding an automatic watch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 pm
PetWatch wrote:I have read of past problems with the older STP movements that I thought would have been corrected by now. Hopefully these are just a few rare defects. Fossil Group claims they do all their manufacturing in their Swiss plants or are obtained from local suppliers (manufacturers?) and are assembled on site in Switzerland with the help of robotic automation.

Article from which I gathered this info, interesting read, from A Blog to Watch:

Yes that's true. But I've been talking to Fossil and Zodiac and they have a repair center in Texas as well which supposedly can repair the stp movements. That's where mine is being sent at least. They said if they can't fix it or replace it I will get a credit for the MSRP of the watch. So $995 USD.
Good to know they service in Texas. That's a very impressive offer that demonstrates they stand behind their products above and beyond normal expectations. Certainly adds to my confidence in the brand, since I like some of their styles and will consider other purchases.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I just sent my Zodiac off with my local Fossil store. It was pretty funny seeing their reaction to a "real" mechanical watch. The salesperson thought it was quartz when I was explaining it lol. Then I almost had a heart attack when they tried winding it up when it was already wound as much as possible and therefore couldn't wind any more without breaking a gear tooth.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:I just sent my Zodiac off with my local Fossil store. It was pretty funny seeing their reaction to a "real" mechanical watch. The salesperson thought it was quartz when I was explaining it lol. Then I almost had a heart attack when they tried winding it up when it was already wound as much as possible and therefore couldn't wind any more without breaking a gear tooth.
Just mailed mine off today. Doesn't surprise me about the Fossil store employees. Not everyone is a WIS though...

@watch_your_wristwatch

flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

So I didn't notice this thread before now. it's kind of depressing that you guys are all having issues. from what I know, STP movements are by and large more accurate than base ETA movements out of the box with no regulation. but i know everyones experiences will vary. my watch is still running great and only losing a few seconds daily (lost under 2 minutes in 3 weeks). i hope everyone's issues get resolved!

on a happier note, for anyone interested in a watch band that looks so good you'd think it was an OEM strap produced just for this watch... look no further than strapsco. the color matching is uncannily good, with a subtle darkish blue and a splash of orange just like on the dial. the leather is supple and comfortable, and the spring bars are even quick release for easy changes. the price is a meager $20 as well!

https://strapsco.com/product/perforated ... tch-strap/

Scruffy believes in this forum
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 pm

Good luck dude! My guess is that they will replace it. But being a bargain hunter I would probably prefer the cash. You could buy back the same watch plus a another nice piece or two.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

flypanam wrote:So I didn't notice this thread before now. it's kind of depressing that you guys are all having issues. from what I know, STP movements are by and large more accurate than base ETA movements out of the box with no regulation. but i know everyones experiences will vary. my watch is still running great and only losing a few seconds daily (lost under 2 minutes in 3 weeks). i hope everyone's issues get resolved!

on a happier note, for anyone interested in a watch band that looks so good you'd think it was an OEM strap produced just for this watch... look no further than strapsco. the color matching is uncannily good, with a subtle darkish blue and a splash of orange just like on the dial. the leather is supple and comfortable, and the spring bars are even quick release for easy changes. the price is a meager $20 as well!

https://strapsco.com/product/perforated ... tch-strap/

That strap matches perfectly... Great combo!

@watch_your_wristwatch

Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Got an email from FedEx a few minutes ago that my package is on its way from Texas from the repair center. However...No email from Fossil Group telling me any news about what was completed or anything. Maybe give them a call tomorrow??!

@watch_your_wristwatch

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Watch your Wristwatch wrote:Got an email from FedEx a few minutes ago that my package is on its way from Texas from the repair center. However...No email from Fossil Group telling me any news about what was completed or anything. Maybe give them a call tomorrow??!

@watch_your_wristwatch
That's faster than I would have expected. But I think mine was more broken than yours. Mine was supposed to be 6-9 weeks. Haven't heard anything since.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

I'm thinking maybe they just regulated the movement and replaced the crown? (hopefully)

@watch_your_wristwatch

Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

So.... Got my Jetomatic today back from the repair center at around 11am this morning. Was super happy I got it back but wanted to start measuring the time again to check the movement and it gained a whopping 97 seconds in an 8 hour time span. I took my watch off to check the caseback and noticed that my rotor is no longer free spinning. Great!!!! At this point I'm so freaking done with this damn watch. Never been so disappointed in a watch before and wonder how big of a pain this is going to be. Should I request a refund (if they'll even do that) or get it repaired AGAIN. Ugh

@watch_your_wristwatch

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Watch your Wristwatch wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 pm So.... Got my Jetomatic today back from the repair center at around 11am this morning. Was super happy I got it back but wanted to start measuring the time again to check the movement and it gained a whopping 97 seconds in an 8 hour time span. I took my watch off to check the caseback and noticed that my rotor is no longer free spinning. Great!!!! At this point I'm so freaking done with this damn watch. Never been so disappointed in a watch before and wonder how big of a pain this is going to be. Should I request a refund (if they'll even do that) or get it repaired AGAIN. Ugh

@watch_your_wristwatch
I'm not sure I would trust them to repair it if they didn't properly test it before returning it to you. What I would probably do is check it one more time to be certain it's timekeeping is off. Assuming the same results, I would be asking for a replacement or refund.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

yinzburgher wrote:
Watch your Wristwatch wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 pm So.... Got my Jetomatic today back from the repair center at around 11am this morning. Was super happy I got it back but wanted to start measuring the time again to check the movement and it gained a whopping 97 seconds in an 8 hour time span. I took my watch off to check the caseback and noticed that my rotor is no longer free spinning. Great!!!! At this point I'm so freaking done with this damn watch. Never been so disappointed in a watch before and wonder how big of a pain this is going to be. Should I request a refund (if they'll even do that) or get it repaired AGAIN. Ugh

@watch_your_wristwatch
I'm not sure I would trust them to repair it if they didn't properly test it before returning it to you. What I would probably do is check it one more time to be certain it's timekeeping is off. Assuming the same results, I would be asking for a replacement or refund.
I was in the process of starting fresh and giving it another 24 hours to test again until I saw that my rotor was stuck.

@watch_your_wristwatch

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Darn that's not good to hear. Makes me worried about the state of my watch... If I were you I'd request either a full refund, or credit of the MSRP value of it.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Watch your Wristwatch wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 pm
yinzburgher wrote:

@watch_your_wristwatch
I was in the process of starting fresh and giving it another 24 hours to test again until I saw that my rotor was stuck.

@watch_your_wristwatch
Aaahhh, sorry that kinda eliminates rechecking the timekeeping. I don't think I would want that same watch back unless it went to a watchmaker you knew was competent. Hopefully they can replace it or refund you. Good luck with it.