We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

I'm curious to see who else jumped on the recent Zodiac deals, or perhaps already owns one. I bought a Jetomatic, here's a few photos I took:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Re: Got a Zodiac? Post it here!

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

Love the Jetomatic so far. Only complaints are I wish there would have been applied indicies to give the dial a little more depth and the factory strap is garbage.
What accuracy numbers is everyone getting? ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

I have no idea on my accuracy since I have only been wearing it for a day, but I will report back on it in a few days. And I agree the factory strap is awful, took it off after less than an hour of owning it. The movement is gorgeous though.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:I have no idea on my accuracy since I have only been wearing it for a day, but I will report back on it in a few days. And I agree the factory strap is awful, took it off after less than an hour of owning it. The movement is gorgeous though.
The movement really makes me feel like I should have jumped on it. Beautiful!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Dub Rubb wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:I have no idea on my accuracy since I have only been wearing it for a day, but I will report back on it in a few days. And I agree the factory strap is awful, took it off after less than an hour of owning it. The movement is gorgeous though.

Yeah it's not too often you find a decorated movement with a blued screw finish and swan neck system under even $1000. Funny thing is that this stp3-13 is their higher end movement than what's in most of their other watches, yet this Jetomatic was the cheapest deal.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:

Yeah it's not too often you find a decorated movement with a blued screw finish and swan neck system under even $1000. Funny thing is that this stp3-13 is their higher end movement than what's in most of their other watches, yet this Jetomatic was the cheapest deal.
It's one of the only pieces I've purchased that I didn't go back and forth on whether to buy it or not. I'm a sucker for blue dials and especially love the orange markers and second hand. Just very well executed.

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Loving mine. The movement sealed the deal for me. While I am not a fan of flat dials, and this is basically one, the ease of legibility, the orange hour marker outlines, basically the whole dial design creates a distinct and nice touch to the typical pilot style dial. Wore it about a week, don't recall the exact accuracy, it was around + or - 6 SPD. I don't really pay attention to this until after I have worn it for a month.

Here is mine with a little lume glow.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

PetWatch wrote:Loving mine. The movement sealed the deal for me. While I am not a fan of flat dials, and this is basically one, the ease of legibility, the orange hour marker outlines, basically the whole dial design creates a distinct and nice touch to the typical pilot style dial. Wore it about a week, don't recall the exact accuracy, it was around + or - 6 SPD. I don't really pay attention to this until after I have worn it for a month.

Here is mine with a little lume glow.

I agree with the dial being flat. I can't help but wonder what it would look like with raised indices. But I understand they did it flat so it would be the same as the original Jetomatic.

I actually like the flat dial with the orange borders around the indices. It looks pretty interesting from an angle
AceRimmer
MoT Member

Post by AceRimmer »

I jumped on the Jetomatic. I figured that I could always resell it if I thought the dial looked flat.

The good news is that I like the dial. The bad news is that winding the watch feels "gritty" instead of smooth. Winding the watch also moves the rotor! Trying to decide if I should return it or send it to Fossil for repairs... Anyone have experience with Fossil warranty work?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

AceRimmer wrote:I jumped on the Jetomatic. I figured that I could always resell it if I thought the dial looked flat.

The good news is that I like the dial. The bad news is that winding the watch feels "gritty" instead of smooth. Winding the watch also moves the rotor! Trying to decide if I should return it or send it to Fossil for repairs... Anyone have experience with Fossil warranty work?
Yes I just wound mine. I see what you mean about the gritty feeling, not the greatest action but I've felt worse on my Sea-Gull watches. And for mine winding it moves the rotor as well but not proportional to the rotations I apply. If that makes sense.

Does anyone know if it has protection against over winding?
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:
AceRimmer wrote:I jumped on the Jetomatic. I figured that I could always resell it if I thought the dial looked flat.

Yes I just wound mine. I see what you mean about the gritty feeling, not the greatest action but I've felt worse on my Sea-Gull watches. And for mine winding it moves the rotor as well but not proportional to the rotations I apply. If that makes sense.

Man I'm gonna have to check mine now when I get home. I cannot find an answer about the over winding protection anywhere on the webs, or much other than a spec sheet from STP about the movement.

Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Jdanefrantz wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:

Man I'm gonna have to check mine now when I get home. I cannot find an answer about the over winding protection anywhere on the webs, or much other than a spec sheet from STP about the movement.

Feels weird to quote myself but I emailed STP directly with those questions about the rotor winding when hand wound and if there's overwind protection. I'll report back if I get a response from them.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Jdanefrantz wrote:
Jdanefrantz wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:Yes I just wound mine. I see what you mean about the gritty feeling, not the greatest action but I've felt worse on my Sea-Gull watches. And for mine winding it moves the rotor as well but not proportional to the rotations I apply. If that makes sense.

Feels weird to quote myself but I emailed STP directly with those questions about the rotor winding when hand wound and if there's overwind protection. I'll report back if I get a response from them.

Might as well ask about the warranty card too and watchstation :D
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:
Jdanefrantz wrote:
Jdanefrantz wrote:Man I'm gonna have to check mine now when I get home. I cannot find an answer about the over winding protection anywhere on the webs, or much other than a spec sheet from STP about the movement.

Might as well ask about the warranty card too and watchstation :D
Crap! I should have!

PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:42 pm

I agree with this, certainly not smooth but not gritty either, somewhere in between. My rotor does not spin when winding but does move a little sometimes. These movements are based on the ETA 2824-2, lots of info on these with basically two camps, one says don't hand wind much because some parts are prone to wear, the other camp says it doesn't matter much. Mixed opinion on over winding protection too. I also found that the rotor turning when winding is likely due to faulty lubrication on the reverse wheels, a simple fix. Some of these watches may not have been properly lubricated to start out and may have been sitting for a long time.

I wind my auto's slowly, usually no more than 10-15 turns (some only give it a couple turns to get it moving) and let them fully wind automatically on the wrist, then reset the time later the next day if necessary.
Last edited by PetWatch on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.