We're Moving!

Click for more info.

LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Post by Dub Rubb »

First off, before someone calls me out, YES this is a blatant ripoff of the BSH thread, but hopefully catered more towards a wider variety of watches. And I consider the community here to be tight knit enough to be a brotherhood in it's own right. We all came here for a reason, and that is the love of a bargain! However, this place has become so much more than that.

One of my favorite parts of the BSH thread is the daily rules of compliance because they caused me to reach into the back of the watch box and wear watches I may not have worn in the name of compliance. I plan to do something similar here, with a couple twists. Some days will have multiple ways to comply.

Here goes:

Mod Monday - any watch that has been modded, even if it is just a strap change.

Timex Tuesday/Tool Watch Tuesday - pretty self explanatory.

Vintage Vednesday/Vostok Vednesday - we as a collective can decide what is considered vintage, but I was thinking at least 20 years old.

Two Crown Thursday/ NATO Thursday - you guessed it! Watches with 2 crowns(or more) or anything on a NATO strap.

Field Watch Friday - again, self explanatory.

Seiko Saturday - A classic not to be meddled with.

Signed Crown Sunday / Citizen Sunday- Show off those watches with Signed/engraved crowns.

There are also two other methods that will be considered ALWAYS compliant, No matter the day of the week.

1) Any watch posted alongside an adult beverage will always be considered compliant.

2) Any watch purchased from MoT's HUISABH thread will also always be considered compliant.

3) "Let it be compliant any timepiece accompanied by meat deliciously prepared by smoke or flame regardless of beast, cut or spice." AKA the Carnivore Rule.

4) Pet compliance. Any picture of your watch and pet together(bonus points if your pet is wearing the watch).

5) Great meal compliance. We are not all carnivores here, and there are some fantastic meals to be had that don't include meat. As long as you consider it to be a great meal, and your watch dial matches your veggie choice?(kidding) I hereby deem compliance. Bonus points on Veggie Vednesday.
Also, any of [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] (or anyone else's) MoT dials whenever they become readily available will always be compliant.

The main goal of this thread is to have fun and maybe wear some watches in your collection you may not otherwise. And just like the other thread there is only one rule.

In honor of a great member of the WRUW thread on F71 (Charles "Askofu" Wiggins)who has recently passed (more info here if you would like to read https://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php ... 629?page=1) the only rule will be to "be kind" as that is all he ever asked of everyone. So simple yet so effective.

That's it boys, now dig into your watch boxes and have some fun!

Bargain Hunters Unite!!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

—————
Edit by [mention]watchpalooza[/mention] to add the v2 rules posted by [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention]:
Time to shake it up!!!

I figured that since today marks the 2 year anniversary of the legion, what better time to throw this idea out there.

I propose that for the month of July we adopt a new set of compliance rules dubbed "Compliance V2". Ironman and I came up with some ideas, but we still have a few days to get some feedback on different ideas for the days and whatnot, but here is what we came up with so far:

Small Watch Sunday - doesn't have to be technically small, just on the small side of your collection

Magic Monday - whatever piece makes you happy to help with the passing of the weekend and being back at the office.

Tick Tick Tuesday - Quartz watches

Wild Card Wednesday - anything goes, the wilder the better, but everything is compliant

Tough Thursday - Watches that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

Fri-Dive - divers because divers are dope

Sultry Saturday/Sport Watch Saturday- dress/Sport watches only

I think this could be a fun way to keep things fresh, but since this is a democracy, I would love some feedback and also input if you have any ideas.

Cheers friends, and long live the Legion!!!
Last edited by Dub Rubb on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: BOBH (The Brotherhood of Bargain Hunters)

Post by Dub Rubb »

I sure am off to a good start here! My dumb self decides to start this on a Tuesday. I don't own a Timex and my only titanium watch is out getting a strap made. Thank goodness for beverage compliance!

8926 mod with a deliciously refreshing Blood Orange IPA from 21st Amendment brewing.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Wonderful thread idea [mention]Dub Rubb[/mention]! I look forward to participating when I can.

I know I've said this as nauseum, but I remain humbled at just how much of a community this place has grown to be. Of course it's all due to members such as yourself.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

I do it my way.

I wear what I want, when I want.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Great idea. I didn’t know that there were watch compliance rules on that thread. It was just so big and intimidating that I let it slide by. Great idea to bring the concept here though.

I do have two thoughts.
1. ‘Brotherhood’ always rubbed me the wrong way as being gender biased. I know that isn’t the point of the thread, but I do know that we have some ladies here and I wouldn’t want them to be discouraged from joining in. I almost didn’t bring it up as the intention here is clearly community building. Likely I am over sensitive on this, but just want everyone to feel included.

2. Thank you for including my MoT dials as being compliant. I would like any MoT dials to be compliant (as I am sure they would be). I am just the first to do this and would like to encourage anyone else to try their hand at a custom MoT dial if they are so inclined.

OK, 2 minor quibbles with an overall amazing thread idea. Well done. It just so happens that I was compliant today.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:I do it my way.

I wear what I want, when I want.
Then you can be the defiant rebel who refuses to conform and post whatever watch your heart desires. The rules aren't hard and fast, aside from the Wiggins rule (be kind). Pretty much anything goes and the compliance is just a fun aspect to the thread, not the be all end all.

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:Great idea. I didn’t know that there were watch compliance rules on that thread. It was just so big and intimidating that I let it slide by. Great idea to bring the concept here though.

I do have two thoughts.
1. ‘Brotherhood’ always rubbed me the wrong way as being gender biased. I know that isn’t the point of the thread, but I do know that we have some ladies here and I wouldn’t want them to be discouraged from joining in. I almost didn’t bring it up as the intention here is clearly community building. Likely I am over sensitive on this, but just want everyone to feel included.

2. Thank you for including my MoT dials as being compliant. I would like any MoT dials to be compliant (as I am sure they would be). I am just the first to do this and would like to encourage anyone else to try their hand at a custom MoT dial if they are so inclined.

OK, 2 minor quibbles with an overall amazing thread idea. Well done. It just so happens that I was compliant today.
Thanks for the input! I am always open to suggestions.

As for #1, I am open for change, but "community of bargain hunters" or "group of bargain hunters" just doesn't have that ring to it. I am open to alternatives, we just need to find one that fits the bill. BHC maybe?!? The Bargain Hunters Collective? I dunno.

As for #2, yes, ALL MoT dials will be forever compliant, you just came to mind as being the first (but hopefully not only!) member taking on that task.

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

"Family" has a pretty inclusive vibe.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

ManOnTime wrote:"Family" has a pretty inclusive vibe.
I could get behind this.

Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

This should be fun. I think I can play for exactly one week then I will have to tap out. Only have one vintage, one titanium and I don’t drink as much as some of the brothers/family.

Time to start shopping for something with two crowns and another vintage! Thanks Dub! 8-)
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Split-Time wrote:This should be fun. I think I can play for exactly one week then I will have to tap out. Only have one vintage, one titanium and I don’t drink as much as some of the brothers/family.

Time to start shopping for something with two crowns and another vintage! Thanks Dub! 8-)
I guess I should be more clear. You dont need a new watch every day of the year! And feel free to mix and match (throw a NATO on Tuesday's Timex and you can double dip on Thursday etc). Even if it's the same watches every week. That's part of the fun! Also, remember that any watch purchased from a deal here is compliant no matter what day it is.

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Okay, some new names to pitch for what this group shall be called. I will set up a poll if need be. Feel free to add your own. Here is what I came up with. Feedback appreciated.

1) LBH The Legion of Bargain Hunters

2) WBCF Watch Bargain Crime Family ( since the deals are SO good it feels like crime)

3) WDM the Watch Deal Mob

4) WBF the Watch Bargain Family

5) NBH the Nexus of Bargain Hunters

Feel free to add more suggestions. Nothing is final. . .yet.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

BOBH (The Brotherhood of Bargain Hunters)

Post by Sporkboy »

Thank you Dub for taking the feedback as the gift it was intended to be. I will admit that brotherhood does have a ring to it.

Since the rules are more like guidelines I am assuming that any future watches featuring dials spawning from any MoT conversations will be compliant. Not that I am volunteering for another project before another one is finished, but just planting the seed out there. I will be writing up my techniques soon and posting them on the Watch mods section of this forum. That should definitely be a thing. I will have to think about that and put in a special request.

I love the one rule as well. I don’t think anyone here has a problem with that. It really is a tight knit group and I am proud to be a part of it.

Name Ideas:

Siblinghood of Watch Bargain Hunters
Loyal Order of the Watch Deal/Bargain (LOWD or LOWB).
Random Group of Strangers Bonding Over Watch Deals on the Internet
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I do like the Legion suggestion.

Here's another option:
Watch Deal Family

And a dumb one:
Committee Advocating Sale-priced Horology = CASH
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

So far I like the Loyal Order and the Legion ideas, keep em coming.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT