We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Vacation watch strategy

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Vacation watch strategy

Post by watchpalooza »

The watch roll...
206E409D-077A-4002-9FD6-61B7739CA88A.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

One or two is how I usually do it. Two is about perfect in my mind; for me it'd be a diver (probably my Steinhart Ocean Premium 500) and something a bit more refined, like my Junghans Max Bill or vintage Seiko 6309-8239. If I had a Hamilton Khaki King like I've been wanting for a while, that + a diver would be a perfect travel set, honestly almost perfect 2 watch collection.
mconlonx

Post by mconlonx »

One watch. Last thing I want on vacation is another worry--what watch to wear, will the other one be safe, what if I lose it somehow?

For most of the travel I do, on the USA east coast, in the same time zone, whatever watch is a favorite GADA watch will get the nod. Sinn 556A was the go-to, until I sold it just recently.

Right now, I'm in Estonia, and although shortly planning to see what a local shop has to offer for vintage Russian watches, only brought one:
20190705_082854.jpg
Seiko SBQJ017, bought used, in less than mint condition specifically so it would not be dear enough or too expensive to travel with. "True" GMT with hour hand time zone adjustment, perpetual calendar, Ti/sapphire, HEQ movement, 100wr... perfect travel watch, in my opinion.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

mconlonx wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:28 am One watch. Last thing I want on vacation is another worry--what watch to wear, will the other one be safe, what if I lose it somehow?

For most of the travel I do, on the USA east coast, in the same time zone, whatever watch is a favorite GADA watch will get the nod. Sinn 556A was the go-to, until I sold it just recently.

Right now, I'm in Estonia, and although shortly planning to see what a local shop has to offer for vintage Russian watches, only brought one:

20190705_082854.jpg

Seiko SBQJ017, bought used, in less than mint condition specifically so it would not be dear enough or too expensive to travel with. "True" GMT with hour hand time zone adjustment, perpetual calendar, Ti/sapphire, HEQ movement, 100wr... perfect travel watch, in my opinion.
That is a really attractive and high-function watch. Only thing that holds me back is the kinetic movement, I've heard you really have to wear them a lot to keep them charged.
mconlonx

Post by mconlonx »

cortman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:37 am
That is a really attractive and high-function watch. Only thing that holds me back is the kinetic movement, I've heard you really have to wear them a lot to keep them charged.
Not Kinetic, straight up quartz with supposed 10 year battery life. I hear the reset procedure for the perpetual calendar at battery change is a PITA, but I should be good for a while.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

mconlonx wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:13 pm
cortman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:37 am
Not Kinetic, straight up quartz with supposed 10 year battery life. I hear the reset procedure for the perpetual calendar at battery change is a PITA, but I should be good for a while.
Oh wow I mistook it, that makes it even more attractive. I'm going to look into that one.
mconlonx

Post by mconlonx »

Good luck. Not too common, discontinued back in the late 00s as far as I know. The black dial SBQJ015 is also pretty sweet. Also search by movement, 8f56.