We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Vacation watch strategy

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
cheddar
MoT Member

Vacation watch strategy

Post by cheddar »

I leave for vacation next week and am struggling to decide on which watches to wear/take. Curious how others approach it.

I have it narrowed down to 5. Think I could get it down to 3, but feel like I shouldn't take more than 2. Gone for a week. Mostly hanging out with friends, with some sightseeing thrown in. Nothing particularly strenuous planned.

How do you approach watches for a week-long vacation?
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: Vacation watch strategy

Post by Dub Rubb »

I used to take a 3 watch roll plus one on the wrist, which had me covered for all bases. But after a recent scare of leaving said roll at the hotel and having it disappear(it didn't, Mrs. Dub Rubb just put it in a "safe" place when she unpacked my suitcase), I changed my mindset.

I went a week on my honeymoon with just 2 watches. . . and it was great. I took my NTH Nacken Renegade and my SARB065 on brown leather. NTH for the daily activities(swimming, snorkeling, drinking heavily, Mexican ATV excursions etc) and the CT for dinners out, nicer occasions, evening ****.

I think we would need to know more about what watches you have to bring, but I think a diver and a versatile "dressy" watch should have all your bases covered. I have considered wearing JUST my SARB033 and bringing a leather strap along with the bracelet.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

ImageImageImage
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Also, where are you going? I bought and modded an SKX011 specifically for a Hawaiian vacation because it had a "beach vibe" to it lol.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

Dub Rubb wrote:I used to take a 3 watch roll plus one on the wrist, which had me covered for all bases. But after a recent scare of leaving said roll at the hotel and having it disappear(it didn't, Mrs. Dub Rubb just put it in a "safe" place when she unpacked my suitcase), I changed my mindset.
This is kind of my concern. I have a 2-watch case and am considering whether to wear one on the flight in addition. Good: staying with friends. Bad: airports/planes seem like good ways to bang my watch up. And a trip seems like a good opportunity to misplace things.

Heading to DC, so lots of walking and photo ops. Want to take the Mido Patrimony, CW C65, and Hammy Navy Pioneer, but just not sure taking ~half my watches is a great idea, especially 3 of my 4 best. So toying with one or two of those + wear my Mako.

But on the other hand, I get my watches to wear and enjoy, and vacation is a prime time for that.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

cheddar wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:I used to take a 3 watch roll plus one on the wrist, which had me covered for all bases. But after a recent scare of leaving said roll at the hotel and having it disappear(it didn't, Mrs. Dub Rubb just put it in a "safe" place when she unpacked my suitcase), I changed my mindset.
This is kind of my concern. I have a 2-watch case and am considering whether to wear one on the flight in addition. Good: staying with friends. Bad: airports/planes seem like good ways to bang my watch up. And a trip seems like a good opportunity to misplace things.

Heading to DC, so lots of walking and photo ops. Want to take the Mido Patrimony, CW C65, and Hammy Navy Pioneer, but just not sure taking ~half my watches is a great idea, especially 3 of my 4 best. So toying with one or two of those + wear my Mako.

But on the other hand, I get my watches to wear and enjoy, and vacation is a prime time for that.
I usually take 3 watches when I travel lately. 2 in a roll, 1 on the wrist. Although I've broken that rule before.
I did learn last trip and others have pointed out in other threads, that bringing multiple straps can make 1 watch feel like 5 different watches. Which I think is a pretty smart idea. I'd rather lose a few NATO's rather than a few watches.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I usually take two -- the G shock and the Khaki Mechanical. This provides a good "beater" and then a versatile other watch. The G shock is good if I am doing anything near the water or hiking etc. The Hamilton is good everywhere else, even a nice-ish dinner if I bring a leather strap.

Haven't had the chance but if I were going to Europe or somewhere like that I'd also consider the GMT because time zones.

Sounds like you could get away with the Mako and either the CW or the Mido. Mako is your beater and the other is your versatile other watch.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

I usually take one watch, maximum two on vacation. The only reason I would take two is if I'm expecting outdoors adventure and a need to dress up. Otherwise, it's just a hassle to make sure they're safe when I leave the hotel. It's a good chance to remind myself how much I like that one watch.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Isn't generally a good idea to take stuff on vacation that you wouldn't be too upset to lose?
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:Isn't generally a good idea to take stuff on vacation that you wouldn't be too upset to lose?
Aye. That’s why I was curious how other watch-obsessed folks approach their watch obsession with their R&R trips. :) Thanks for the replies everyone.

If I still had a GMT the choice would be obvious.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I usually bring 3 or more and what I usually find is that 2 would have been plenty. However, I just went through your IG, and have decided that you should bring 3. You should bring the Hamilton UTC, the CW C65 and the Smiths. That will have you covered for all bases. Great collection BTW and I especially love that Smiths.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

yinzburgher wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:18 am I usually bring 3 or more and what I usually find is that 2 would have been plenty. However, I just went through your IG, and have decided that you should bring 3. You should bring the Hamilton UTC, the CW C65 and the Smiths. That will have you covered for all bases. Great collection BTW and I especially love that Smiths.
Haha, I sold the UTC and the Smiths to get the Patrimony. Otherwise I would have just taken the UTC. Thanks for checking out my IG and the kind words! (And tune in to the IG to see what made the cut for the trip, haha.) :)
atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

It may seem impossible, but I usually travel with a single watch. It just reduces risk. Which watch depends where I'm going. When I was in Italy I wore my Intra-matic the whole time. When I was in Costa Rica it was something water friendly. When I was in London I just had a Nomos Club I believe.
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

I've been trying to decide which watches I'll take with me on vacation later this summer, and I'm coming around to the idea of just wearing my Turtle and leaving the others safely locked up at home. Not that I have anything of tremendous value, but if I only have the one on my wrist, it'll reduce the worry.

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.

synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

Usually I just wear a single watch for a week long trip,recently went to Singapore and Bangkok and I wear my pam 375 day in day out,less worries about things missing during my trip...
barutanseijin

Post by barutanseijin »

I took 3: one was my father's Lecoultre because his memorial service was our first stop. I also took my orange Samurai because well, it's orange. The third was tough. I went with an SBDC053 fir the summery blue and because it fits my wrist well.