Help Needed Finding PC Sport/Dive Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Help Needed Finding PC Sport/Dive Watch

Post by Sporkboy »

I need some help in guiding my brother to some options that are out of my comfort zone, and I hope you can help.

My brother is currently has, amongst other watches, a deep blue daynight PC and a Luminox that he really likes.

He’d like to get another PC sport/dive watch in this vein, and he would also like to buy an entry level ‘luxury’ watch. The luxury part gives me pause and I think that he is skipping over a lot of solid brands that could offer a better experience/value.

The only watch he is currently looking at is the Breitling Colt Skyracer.
It is interesting, but my gut tells me that it is too much money for a plastic watch. I have read up on it, but it doesn’t do it for me. For that kind of money, I would need to be really impressed. Of course, it isn’t me who is looking at this watch so please let me know if you have or have seen this watch in person and know that my gut reaction is misinformed.

If you know of any other brands/watches that he should look at I would greatly appreciate the help here.

<$1,600 USD
~45mm
-Sport/Dive
-PC or possibly Titanium or blackened hardened something???
-Luxury (If something is amazing, he may budge)

I sent him to Sinn, but didn’t have anything in particular in mind. Marathon might work, but lacks the luxury touch. Maybe a full lume dial would spice things up. I am open to suggestions, even from right field.

I know that I am missing something here, but I can’t quite see it. Thank you for your thoughts.
Last edited by Sporkboy on Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boourns
MoT Member

Re: Help Needed Finding PC Sport/Dive Watch

Post by Boourns »

This probably isn't "luxury" but the Magrette Moana Pacific had that vibe. There's a titanium version for preorder:
https://www.magrette.com/shop/354290679 ... =370040261
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Sporkboy wrote:I need some help in guiding my brother to some options that are out of my comfort zone, and I hope you can help.

My brother is currently has, amongst other watches, a deep blue daynight PC and a Luminox that he really likes.

He’d like to get another PC sport/dive watch in this vein, and he would also like to buy an entry level ‘luxury’ watch. The luxury part gives me pause and I think that he is skipping over a lot of solid brands that could offer a better experience/value.

The only watch he is currently looking at is the Breitling Colt Skyracer.
It is interesting, but my gut tells me that it is too much money for a plastic watch. I have read up on it, but it doesn’t do it for me. For that kind of money, I would need to be really impressed. Of course, it isn’t me who is looking at this watch so please let me know if you have or have seen this watch in person and know that my gut reaction is misinformed.

If you know of any other brands/watches that he should look at I would greatly appreciate the help here.

<$1,600 USD
~45mm
-Sport/Dive
-PC or possibly Titanium or blackened hardened something???
-Luxury (If something is amazing, he may budge)

I sent him to Sinn, but didn’t have anything in particular in mind. Marathon might work, but lacks the luxury touch. Maybe a full lume dial would spice things up. I am open to suggestions, even from right field.

I know that I am missing something here, but I can’t quite see it. Thank you for your thoughts.
I was going to suggest Sinn. Love them and plan on getting my first soon.
Maybe a titanium Oris? Tissot? I think Hamilton does a pretty nice black titanium field khaki

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
wahlaoeh
MoT Member

Post by wahlaoeh »

Sinn 857 or an oris diver 65

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Other random ideas, mostly dive watches:
Seiko tuna

Chris Ward trident elite (Can you still get one?)

Halios Puck (not sure if these are still available from Halios)

Some kind of $1000 g shock?

Edit to add: TAG aquaracer or Formula 1. Both are quartz, so not necessarily the best values.

I wish that watch were 38mm?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

That's kind of a tough one but I'm sure we can come up with a few ideas. When someone wants a black plastic watch I would be way more likely to suggest my own plastic beater seen below than I would that Breitling. I thought it was crazy when Breitling came out with that watch but I guess they really were filling a void in the market. Does it need to be quartz?

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

There is of course Marathon like you mentioned.

There is the Victorinox Inox Carbon.

Isobrite maybe. This one is called the Valor.

Hanowa Swiss Military makes a few possibilities.

I know these aren't quite luxury but I'm still thinking.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thank you everybody! Great suggestions all around. I am going to dig into these.
Quartz is not a requirement.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:That's kind of a tough one but I'm sure we can come up with a few ideas. When someone wants a black plastic watch I would be way more likely to suggest my own plastic beater seen below than I would that Breitling. I thought it was crazy when Breitling came out with that watch but I guess they really were filling a void in the market. Does it need to be quartz?

That was the watch that I suggested when he mentioned the Skyracer. He did not comment on that at all. I actually almost bid on a watch lot that included one of these just to get some cheap mod stock and parts on hand. I wonder what he would have thought if I sent him one. [emoji23]
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Tissot T-Touch Titanium. I usually don't care for this watch but I really like how this black one looks.

I thought Bell & Ross might have more. Its probably still worth looking into. They are entry level luxury and they make a bunch of blacked-out watches but other than a really expensive CF watch I'm not seeing much that isn't steel. Anyway I feel like they might have something and I'm just not finding it.
synequano
MoT Member

Post by synequano »

Long shot but there’s carbotech panerais,the 661 can be had pre owned for around 5 times the initial budget...it’s light and scratch resistant but felt plasticky (IMO)

Otherwise,any analog gshock he likes? the latest carbon one looks quite nice...
AndyS
MoT Member

Post by AndyS »

Probably not "lux" enough, but I like my Citizen Promaster BN0195. Image
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I hadn’t considered a G for this as I don’t follow them. Thank you for the leads there.

The ProMasters are pretty good looking from the few I have seen on the subway. Quite impressive to me.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Boourns wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:29 am Edit to add: TAG aquaracer or Formula 1. Both are quartz, so not necessarily the best values.
This is a good suggestion. I completely forgot that this aquaracer nightdiver is titanium. They definitely meet the entry level luxury requirement. With some TAGs like blacked out F1s you have to be careful though bc they will be listed as titanium on a lot of retailer sites. But it is often a steel case with a titanium shell and then a PVD coating on top. Weird question but what does your brother have against steel? Does he just want something super lightweight?
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Probably not on his radar or want list, but this one came to mind.

Archimede Outdoor 41 Antimag Automatic Watch UA8241-A1

Currently $1,000 from WatchMann

https://www.watchmann.com/proddetail.ph ... -UA8241-A1

Screenshot_20190705-155646_Chrome.jpg
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find