We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Best TV Show

Have a favorite band? Book? Movie? Discuss everything entertainment here.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Best TV Show

Post by watchpalooza »

Staying in this evening in Sweden. Flipped on the TV and came across the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld...classic.

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
ibus
MoT Member

Post by ibus »

My best of the best list: I don't think I've seen any listed so far. Might be wrong [emoji3]

Animal Kingdom. Stop it every 5 mins to work out what on earth might happen next.

The Bureau (France w/ subtitles). Real spys drive a clapped out Renault. So tense.

Preacher. An acquired taste but hilarious once you get wtf is going on.

Fauda (Israel w/subtitles). A revelation for both Israelis and Palestinians as well as for me. Sweaty palms.

Babylon Berlin. (Germany w/ subtitles) Flawed plot, but so much STYLE.

4 Blocks (Germany w/ subtitles). Gritty immigrant focused drama. Brutal and honest.

Beat (Germany w/ subtitles). A DJ is persuaded to help the intelligence service.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

rejio
Has thanked: 0

Post by rejio »

I liked Chernobyl a lot
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

i vote for this show. Strong characters, great music and Forest Whitaker is always great.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Can't help it. Whenever I hear or read "Forest Whitaker", this is what I think of. Rhymesayers/MN hip hop fans will know what I'm talking about.

Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I've just watched The Spy on Netflix.

A fantastic 6 part drama based on a true story of Eli Cohen, an unlikely Mossad agent who arguably became one of the most notable spies in history.

Don't be put off by Sacha Baron Cohen in this, he plays a fantastic part. The first two episodes are slower than the final four, but it's all about setting the scene. There is some excellent cinematography and lovely touches throughout, hopefully you'll spot some of the more special ones.

One of the best things I've watched in a long long time.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80178151

pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

ManOnTime wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:43 am Can't help it. Whenever I hear or read "Forest Whitaker", this is what I think of. Rhymesayers/MN hip hop fans will know what I'm talking about.

Thank you. Never heard of him before. A quote from the article below

"There are a few people I admire and he's one of them. He embodies what that song was about. You don't look at Forest Whitaker and go, "Damn, I wish I was like him. He's no Denzel Washington but he mastered his craft. He used the way he looks as a tool and he's successful because of who he is as a person. He showed em all"

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/brother ... uted_truth

I wonder if Forest Whitaker heard of him and the song.

The live version is just as interesting
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

Mandalorian is very good in my opinion even with a baby Yoda. Although they could have chosen a different McGuffin.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Rocat wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:36 am McGuffin.
I had to look up this term. Not something I imagined I would learn from a watch forum. 8-)
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:36 pm
Rocat wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:36 am McGuffin.
I had to look up this term. Not something I imagined I would learn from a watch forum. 8-)
Technically, a McGuffin is something that the audience or the characters never know what it is. Like in Ronin, a briefcase they have to get but don't know what's in it is the McGuffin. That is an excellent movie.

I used the wrong term for the Baby Yoda. But either way it has put him on a Path that he would have never taken. Personally I think it would have been better anything other than a Baby Yoda.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Animal Mother wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:31 pm
Rocat wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:35 pm It's official. After one episode of the Amazon series "The Boys", I'm hooked. Karl Urban is hilarious.

theboys.jpg
It's really good. Dark, silly and funny.
I agree. Great series. Can't wait for season 2.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Finished The Witcher on Netflix last night.

I have not read the books. I have not played the games. But I generally read and watch all kinds of fantasy. I was eager to watch it based on the hype.

My brother and I watched the first episode together on Friday night. Neither of us felt engaged by it (he is not a fantasy fan). The first episode did not make me very interested in any of the characters.

I decided to keep going. The more I watched over the last couple of days, the better it got. By the end, I could understand why the fans are fighting with reviewers about the poor ratings it gets. Watching 1 or 2 episodes of it, which is what some reviewers are doing, is like watching 20 minutes of a movie or reading 30 pages of a 200-page book and trying to review it. This series is more than the sum of its parts. Admittedly, the writing and directing is a little uneven at times. Some special effects might be underwhelming if that's your thing. But overall, I thought it came together well. I'd give it an 8.5 for the overall story and acting, with the caveat that I like fantasy.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

El Rey has a marathon today for Firefly.
Fantastic reminder of how good this show was.
And a great way to start off the new year.

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

1) Witcher is awesome for sure
2) Early adopter on The Boys
3) Watchmen......dear god on so many levels of awesome
4) 6 Underground.....better than I thought it would be
5) Lost in Space - first season was watchable....I’ve watched 2 episodes of season two and it’s just OK. I keep telling myself that S2 of House of Cards wasn’t awesome either (or was it S3)
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

CVP33 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:50 pm 1) Witcher is awesome for sure
2) Early adopter on The Boys
3) Watchmen......dear god on so many levels of awesome
4) 6 Underground.....better than I thought it would be
5) Lost in Space - first season was watchable....I’ve watched 2 episodes of season two and it’s just OK. I keep telling myself that S2 of House of Cards wasn’t awesome either (or was it S3)
LOS Season 2 gets better as it goes. The first few episodes of season 2 seem more of an ode to Irwin Allen and the original series with the family facing disaster of the week adventures in space. I thought it got better as the season progressed with the building of an ongoing narrative with a longer story arc. Although I am really biased about this series. I was born in 1965, and I watched Lost in Space over and over again from about the ages of 4 to 10 years old. So I get a kick out of watching even the worst episodes in the two seasons. :D