We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Best TV Show

Have a favorite band? Book? Movie? Discuss everything entertainment here.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Best TV Show

Post by TheJohnP »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:47 am
FYI: Pratchett was publishing before Adams, so Pratchett was more likely Adams's influence. Although Adams got his start writing scripts for Monty Python, and then later scripts for Doctor Who and The Hitchhiker's Guide radio series (before the novel). So Adams's style of humor might only be Monty Python influenced. :D
Very familiar with both. :)
Met Douglas at a book signing once.
Sadly never had the opportunity to meet Terry.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

cel4145 wrote:
TheJohnP wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:18 am
Sporkboy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:20 am On the last episode of Good Omens on Prime. From the opening credits the work of Douglas Adams came to mind. If you are a fan of his work, you should check this out. Sadly Adams is no longer with us, but it is nice to see some of his style pass onto other writers.

Waiting until my large flatscreen gets back from the shop before watching this one.

And sadly, Terry Pratchett, who cowrote the book, also passed several years ago. Love his Discworld series.
FYI: Pratchett was publishing before Adams, so Pratchett was more likely Adams's influence. Although Adams got his start writing scripts for Monty Python, and then later scripts for Doctor Who and The Hitchhiker's Guide radio series (before the novel). So Adams's style of humor might only be Monty Python influenced. :D
That is fair enough. I am not familiar with Pratchett or Gaiman, so it looks like I have some catching up to do. I have read most of Adams though with The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul being my favorite. Any book recommendations as to where I should start?
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I'm watching Manhattan. It's about the Manhattan project and is really good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3231564/?ref_=tt_ov_inf
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Animal Mother wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:08 pm I'm watching Manhattan. It's about the Manhattan project and is really good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3231564/?ref_=tt_ov_inf
I loved this show a lot. Was REALLY sad when they didn't renew it for a third season.
Watched all of Chernobyl in like 2 days. Loved it.
Jack Ryan I thought was REALLY good.

The Office (US version) will always be my favorite show ever.

Saw Rick and Morty mentioned, incredible show. I'll throw Adventure Time in there as well with great animations.
Insta me: bbrou33
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I don't watch a whole lot of TV anymore, usually just the occasional movie. But one of my favorite TV shows of all time is "The Wire" from HBO. I highly highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

My wife and son are a little under the weather. My wife isolated herself in a bedroom this weekend and was looking for something to watch. How did I miss Parks and Recreation for ten years? She has me catching up so we can watch together. I haven’t laughed out loud this much in a long time!
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Split-Time wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 pm My wife and son are a little under the weather. My wife isolated herself in a bedroom this weekend and was looking for something to watch. How did I miss Parks and Recreation for ten years? She has me catching up so we can watch together. I haven’t laughed out loud this much in a long time!
Brilliant show. I loved it.

Have you seen The Office? Either UK or US version?
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Animal Mother wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:42 am
Split-Time wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 pm My wife and son are a little under the weather. My wife isolated herself in a bedroom this weekend and was looking for something to watch. How did I miss Parks and Recreation for ten years? She has me catching up so we can watch together. I haven’t laughed out loud this much in a long time!
Brilliant show. I loved it.

Have you seen The Office? Either UK or US version?
I have seen the US version and really enjoyed it. We should try the UK version. Since being married my wife and I have only found two TV shows that we have enjoyed watching together...Big Bang Theory and Breaking Bad. Opposite ends of the spectrum, I know. We also just don't have much time to watch TV or movies. In fact, we still haven't finished Big Bang. I think we have two episodes left on the DVR.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Been watching Deadwood. I know. I'm almost 15 years behind. But I didn't have HBO at the time and it's free Prime streaming from Amazon right now.

One of the best casts I've seen for a TV show, and it's really interesting seeing their interpretation of these historical characters. I'm really enjoying it. What a lawless time it was. But not for people who's sensibilities would not enjoy constant instances of sex and nudity (brothels are an integral part of the show) and heavy cursing throughout.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

My wife and I just finished Escape at Dannemora, with Benicio del Toro, Patricia Arquette, and Paul Dano. It's a 7-episode miniseries directed by Ben Stiller (that Ben Stiller) about an escape from an NY prison in 2015 I think. Available on Showtime (for free if that's part of your cable package) and Amazon.

It's really good if you are into those type of shows.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Boourns wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:28 pm My wife and I just finished Escape at Dannemora, with Benicio del Toro, Patricia Arquette, and Paul Dano. It's a 7-episode miniseries directed by Ben Stiller (that Ben Stiller) about an escape from an NY prison in 2015 I think. Available on Showtime (for free if that's part of your cable package) and Amazon.

It's really good if you are into those type of shows.
Completely forgot about wanting to watch that. Thanks for the reminder!
That happened a few months after I moved to NYC in 2015. Need to watch it
Insta me: bbrou33
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Really enjoyed Money Heist.

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I've been (re)watching Whose Line Is It Anyway. CW has the entire US version going back to season 1 online for free.

https://www.cwseed.com/shows/whose-line-is-it-anyway/
Living a comeback montage.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

It's official. After one episode of the Amazon series "The Boys", I'm hooked. Karl Urban is hilarious.
theboys.jpg
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Rocat wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:35 pm It's official. After one episode of the Amazon series "The Boys", I'm hooked. Karl Urban is hilarious.

theboys.jpg
It's really good. Dark, silly and funny.