We're Moving!

Click for more info.

What podcasts are you listening to?

Have a favorite band? Book? Movie? Discuss everything entertainment here.
four20
MoT Member

What podcasts are you listening to?

Post by four20 »

I'm always looking for new ones. Bonus points for good serial fiction [emoji106]

Some of the daily/weekly shows I listen to-

The Tony Kornheiser Show
The Gist with Mike Pesca
Here's The Thing with Alec Baldwin
Black On The Air with Larry Wilmore
Marc Maron's WTF
Stay Tuned with Preet Bharara

Some fiction I've enjoyed-

Steal The Stars
The Bright Sessions
The Hyacinth Disaster
The Truth
Tumanbay

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: What podcasts are you listening to?

Post by Robotaz »

^^^ Do any of those daily ones stay out of politics? It seems these days nobody can resist, and it kills it for me.

I watch Joe Rogan on YouTube at work. Some episodes are great. Others, really boring.

@robotazky
four20
MoT Member

Post by four20 »

Robotaz wrote:^^^ Do any of those daily ones stay out of politics? It seems these days nobody can resist, and it kills it for me.

I watch Joe Rogan on YouTube at work. Some episodes are great. Others, really boring.

@robotazky
Maron is probably the least political . Depends on the guest. Kornheiser does delve into politics occasionally but it's very respectful discussion and middle of the road. I grew up outside of DC with a father in the press and a politically active mother, so you could call me a glutton for punishment

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I have a pretty long commute so I'm always looking for podcasts. Some I like:
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - if you're a history nerd you'll love it. Not political at all. Each episode is like 4 hours long.
  • Radiolab - 100+ episodes that teaches a theme each episode. Super interesting stories.
  • More Perfect - Radiolab's spinoff on the Supreme Court. If you're interested in the law/Supreme Court at all I highly recommend this one. It can touch on politics but only as it's relevant to the story/case. For instance the show on the 2d Amendment talks about the history of the NRA but not any commentary on present day.
  • In the Dark - only heard season 2 about a guy who's been tried for murder 6 times. Fascinating. Certainly the host believes this is an Injustice but it's not political.
  • Slow Burn - season 1 is about Nixon's impeachment and 2 is Clinton's. Obviously political but again in historical context. No doubt season 1 draws similarities to current day. Season 2 is more about how **** everyone on both sides was.
  • It Seemed Smart - this is a kind of silly one hosted by Spencer Hall of Everyday Should be Saturday. If you like college football you might know him. This pod is about crazy ways people cheat in sports. There's only about 6 episodes but it's pretty entertaining and not political at all.
Last edited by Boourns on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
four20
MoT Member

Post by four20 »

I've been listening to Radiolab for years. My father did some work with Robert Krulwich on a few Nightline shows back in the 90s (Krulwich is a bit prickly and would only work with my dad lol). More Perfect is a great listen, too. Jad is a great producer

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

four20 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:37 am Bonus points for good serial fiction [emoji106]
I enjoyed Alice Isn't Dead from Joseph Fink of Welcome to Night Vale (another fun podcast).
Living a comeback montage.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I'll just drop one recommendation in here, The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast. It's incredibly dry and absurd humor, and is a kind of parody show that never breaks character. It's by far my favorite, and not terribly well known I think.
Edit: just discovered the show has a Wikipedia pagenow. It's a better description of it than I can give. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_And_ ... rk_Podcast
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

cortman wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am I'll just drop one recommendation in here, The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast. It's incredibly dry and absurd humor, and is a kind of parody show that never breaks character. It's by far my favorite, and not terribly well known I think.
Edit: just discovered the show has a Wikipedia pagenow. It's a better description of it than I can give. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_And_ ... rk_Podcast
Sounds interesting is it on iHeart or Amazon Music?
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:53 pm
cortman wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am I'll just drop one recommendation in here, The Beef and Dairy Network Podcast. It's incredibly dry and absurd humor, and is a kind of parody show that never breaks character. It's by far my favorite, and not terribly well known I think.
Sounds interesting is it on iHeart or Amazon Music?
Don't know about either of those places, I just get it through the website or Pocket Casts on Android.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

"Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" at the moment.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

There are three I listen two regularly. They are light hearted and funny. The Parapod and the Off Menu are easy to binge on your commute or in bed over a week or so, the Oh No Ross & Carrie podcast has a serious number of episodes to catch up on.

Parapod - A comedy podcast that eschews the nonsense of the paranormal community with critical thinking and shouting. Two comedians, voice of reason Ian Boldsworth and gullible believer Barry Dodds debate the supernatural, mysteries and conspiracy theories, in a quest to establish the truth from the fantasy.

Off Menu Podcast - Comedians Ed Gamble and James Acaster invite special guests into their magical restaurant to each choose their favourite starter, main course, side dish, dessert and drink. Ever wanted to eat your dream meal? It's time to order Off Menu.

Oh No Ross & Carrie - the show where we don’t just report on fringe science, spirituality, and claims of the paranormal, but take part ourselves. Follow us as we join religions, undergo alternative treatments, seek out the paranormal, and always find the humor in life’s biggest mysteries. We show up - so you don’t have to. Every month we share a new investigation, along with occasional bonus interviews and updates.

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is pretty good. Some I remember enjoying were Jeff Goldblum, Stephen Colbert, Mila Kunis, Julia-Louis Dreyfus, Ben Schwartz & Thomas Middleditch, and Bill Hader.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
zoysiamo
MoT Member

Post by zoysiamo »

I mostly listen to political podcasts.
Right now, I'm listening to:
* Worst Year Ever - a humorous, cynical take on the 2020 elections.
* Behind the Bastards - how I found Worst Year Ever (they share a host). History of the worst people in the world, from a left perspective although they'll consider Stalin a bastard just as much as a right-wing despot.

And my favorite podcast:
* Citations Needed, which criticizes media although they touch on a lot of other issues. I wish they would go further beyond media criticism more often as it's so good as it is.

And something not political:
* Song Exploder, which interviews musicians on how they assembled a particular song. Some episodes are fascinating.
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

Jordan Harbinger Show - A very interesting person and is big on networking and how to expand your connections. He invites interesting guests, writers, actors, speakers, and many others.

Conan O'Brien Needs A Friend

Everyday Driver - Todd and Paul do two car debates based on the emails they get. They discuss which car the person should buy based on his/her needs and wants. They also have a TV show and a youtube channel.

Smoking Tire Podcast - Another laid back car podcast with interesting guests.

Used to listen to Gary Vee but fortunately, I'm over it now
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Two Broke Watch Snobs-
Dick jokes, cursing, talking to cats like they are people, The IT crowd, Star Wars, Ben Gibbard and great watch discussions. This is where I learned of the Raketa Big Zero and so much more. A great companion to the MoT blog. They often speak of their ‘watch family’, which is in keeping with the spirit of this forum. I didn’t know what you guys were called, but thanks to this podcast I know that you are my watch family. They also complain about watch internetdom being an unfriendly place, which is why they do things differently.

They have been at this since 2017, so I am still catching up. It is great to see how the two hosts are evolving as watch collectors and as people (getting married, moving, buying a place to live, existential crises, etc.) Another theme is collecting watches in a way that is true to you and cutting through Instagram culture.

I highly recommend this one.