We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Smart Assistants

Discussions to express your inner nerd.
MoT
Site Admin

Smart Assistants

Post by MoT »

I use Google Assistant. Initially I just used it on my phone (I've been an Android adherant since the first commercial Android phone, the HTC Dream was debuted by T-Mobile (as the G1) in 2009) and although I found it useful, I was unsure how it would translate to in-home devices.

I started out this time last year with a single Home Mini and a couple of smart outlets. Almost immediately I appreciated the comvienence and the "hands off" for some routine tasks. Telling Google to set reminders, make lists, play music, stream videos, turn things on and off, etc etc, have really given me that whole "living in the future" feeling.

Since then I've added two more Minis, more outlets and some smart bulbs for lamps. I'm looking to add a few more things, like a Home Hub.

Does anyone else use a smart assistants? What do you like about it? What do you dislike? What do you wish it could do, but can't?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Re: Smart Assistants

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Well if you can't already tell from my username, I am obsessed with Android. I have 3 Google home minis in various locations of my house. I have it integrated with NanoLeaf Aurora light panels on my bedroom wall, so basically when I set my alarm, the light panels slowly turn on to mimic the sun rising. I also have a bunch of TP Link outlets connected to my network to turn older lights and fans on or off, and an old coffee maker.

I started out my watch addiction with smartwatches, and was lucky enough to own the very first smartwatch Samsung made like 5 years ago. I have since owned many other Android Wear watches, and use my current Asus Zenwatch 2 to control most of the smart things in my home. But if I'm being honest, I only wear my smartwatch at home, once I leave I wear one of my "real" watches.

Currently I'm working on a way to turn one of my PC's on using proximity, so that when I get to my doorstep it will log me in and open certain programs. The issue I'm having is I need to make a analog to digital converter since I'm using a basic I/O switch on my desktop. Another recent project I've done is using an Arduino and Google assistant to control my Christmas lights.

I love technology and would love to hear what other members here are doing.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
OvrSteer

Post by OvrSteer »

The wife is not in favor of a future skynet, but I do have a Google Home Mini that is nominally useful when my kid doesn't swipe it to use it as a glorified boombox. I'd like more, and I'd probably use them more than I do if I had more... The location of the first one isn't predictable.
AKTodd
MoT Member

Post by AKTodd »

I got an Echo Dot for Christmas A few years ago. I liked using it for setting timers and reminders, and streaming music. Then it started responding to random noises, and injecting responses into our conversations, even when we didn't say anything close to 'Alexa'. This totally freaked out my wife, so I came home one day to find it unplugged. It sits in a closet now.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

AKTodd wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:20 pm I got an Echo Dot for Christmas A few years ago. I liked using it for setting timers and reminders, and streaming music. Then it started responding to random noises, and injecting responses into our conversations, even when we didn't say anything close to 'Alexa'. This totally freaked out my wife, so I came home one day to find it unplugged. It sits in a closet now.
That would be alarming!

GA would often respond to commercials or TV shows if the "Hey Google" command was aired. It hasn't happened for a while, meaning Google probably fine tuned the software to help eliminate accidental activation.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:11 pm Well if you can't already tell from my username, I am obsessed with Android.
It coulda been referring to Aragon. Aragorn? Eragon?
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:11 pm Well if you can't already tell from my username, I am obsessed with Android.
It coulda been referring to Aragon. Aragorn? Eragon?
Didn't even know that was a brand or watch lol. Had to Google it
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
username
MoT Member

Post by username »

trevorklat
Been thanked: 0

Post by trevorklat »

Me: "Alexa,Go to sleep"
Alexa: "I'm sorry but not in your lifetime."

Me: Alexa, Who's your hero?"
Alexa: "HAL 9000."

Me: "Alexa, What is your favorite book?"
Alexa: "George Orwell's 1984"

Me: "Alexa, You will address me as Winston Smith from this point forward."
Alexa: "The time is now thirteen o'clock."
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

No....my wife tells me one Smart ASSistant in the house is enough. [emoji6]
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Imagine if Kevin had a smart assistant in 1990. ;) (I love this spot.)

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I wasn’t even comfortable turning on my TV’s voice recognition. No way will I have something always on.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:02 pm I wasn’t even comfortable turning on my TV’s voice recognition. No way will I have something always on.
Privacy is a legitimate concern. I have our smart devices all linked to a single account that is locked down as much as can be and still be functional. No purchasing without secondary approval, no guest access, etc. My wife an I also lead pretty uninteresting lives, so I'm pretty sure whomever may be listening at Google is pretty well bored to death by now. :lol:

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

username
MoT Member

Post by username »

When I have more time to play with it, I may install Mycroft with device-local speech-recognition, but I will resist installing any AI that's under someone else's control, whether on a phone or in my house, car, etc.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

IoT = end of privacy
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr