Click for more info.

Projectors / Beamers vs TV

Discussions to express your inner nerd.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Projectors / Beamers vs TV

Post by watchpalooza »

Hi MoT members,

We are setting up a theater room and are considering a projector rather than a TV. It has been some years since I looked at projectors, and when I did they just were not able to compete with thebperformance of LCD TV’s. Does anyone have experience with these and what is needed to create a superior hi-res video quality / tracking experience? Are projectors now able to match the quality of LCD televisions, or is there still a performnce gap?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: Projectors / Beamers vs TV

Post by Robotaz »

I’ve gone to OLED tv. I bought an LG 65” in 2016 and just bought a 55” for my bedroom. Amazing TVs.

All OLED TVs use LG panels, so keep that in mind. It’s whether you like the electronics inside or not. Sony is too pricey just for its motion handling in an LG TV, in my opinion.

Projectors. They have always been DLP and I’m in the camp that sees the red/green/blue tearing across the screen. Something about my eye/brain coordination is in the top 1-5% or something. I just can’t do them. Plus, I don’t like the fade. They always look washed out to me, especially in comparison to OLED.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I am ruling out a projector based on multiple sources of feedback, including here. I will go for a TV, preferably one with a “game mode” to bypass as much processing as possible. How is OLED as far as tracking / lag?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

FTE wrote: How is OLED as far as tracking / lag?
I think it’s very smooth. It does take experimenting with the many settings.
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

I bought a Vizio 80" LCD for $1,900 2 years ago and never looked back. I can't get any farther back from the TV then 15' so it's really at the limit of what my room can hold. Way better than any projector obviously. Recently some 82" versions got to $2,500. Can't really justify the extra $600. Currently have 2 Panasonic 65" Plasma TV's and another 55" Vizio LCD. The Plasmas have the better picture, but not by much. The downside is they weight 150lbs. apiece and are loud in a quiet room.

On a side note, I just donated a 40" Panasonic 780p TV that was 12 years old. I paid........are you ready....$4,000 for it! LOL The only good news is it was still working perfectly.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

CVP33 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 pm I bought a Vizio 80" LCD for $1,900 2 years ago and never looked back. I can't get any farther back from the TV then 15' so it's really at the limit of what my room can hold. Way better than any projector obviously. Recently some 82" versions got to $2,500. Can't really justify the extra $600. Currently have 2 Panasonic 65" Plasma TV's and another 55" Vizio LCD. The Plasmas have the better picture, but not by much. The downside is they weight 150lbs. apiece and are loud in a quiet room.

On a side note, I just donated a 40" Panasonic 780p TV that was 12 years old. I paid........are you ready....$4,000 for it! LOL The only good news is it was still working perfectly.
We had a commercial grade Panasonic Plasma 65" for several years and you are right it outperformed a lot of the early LCD's...and weighed a ton! Anazing how much prices have come down across the board on TV's. Will take a look at the Vizios - thank you.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

FTE wrote:
CVP33 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 pm I bought a Vizio 80" LCD for $1,900 2 years ago and never looked back. I can't get any farther back from the TV then 15' so it's really at the limit of what my room can hold. Way better than any projector obviously. Recently some 82" versions got to $2,500. Can't really justify the extra $600. Currently have 2 Panasonic 65" Plasma TV's and another 55" Vizio LCD. The Plasmas have the better picture, but not by much. The downside is they weight 150lbs. apiece and are loud in a quiet room.

We had a commercial grade Panasonic Plasma 65" for several years and you are right it outperformed a lot of the early LCD's...and weighed a ton! Anazing how much prices have come down across the board on TV's. Will take a look at the Vizios - thank you.
If you get a Vizio, make sure it’s the monitor that has Dolby Vision. They cam out a couple years ago.

In fact, if you get any TV make sure it has Dolby Vision, not just HDR.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

FTE wrote:

Also, as a gamer, Vizios have some of the lowest input lag of any TV out there at any price point. I have been very happy with mine as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Dub Rubb wrote:
FTE wrote:

Also, as a gamer, Vizios have some of the lowest input lag of any TV out there at any price point. I have been very happy with mine as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
I’ve heard that.