MoT's Watch Deal Forum is the resource for watch and watch accessory deals sourced by enthusiasts like you. Click here to join today, and once logged in you'll be able to take part in great discussion and camaraderie about the hobby you love.

As a reminder, even though MoT's is a free site, we do rely on and accept donations to keep the lights on. These are completely voluntary and there is no obligation. Any donations go directly towards site operations and are greatly appreciated. Click here to donate today.

Amazon ads not appearing in (some) Firefox PC browsers (Windows & Linux)

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
BostonCharlie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 129 times

Amazon ads not appearing in (some) Firefox PC browsers (Windows & Linux)

Post by BostonCharlie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:04 pm

This is an upshot of my posts in the chat. Seems that the things I can't see in my browser are Amazon ads like this:
amazon_ad.jpg
amazon_ad.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 878 times
The above ad is from this deal post:
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=8548#p8548

I run Firefox on Linux and have the NoScript javascript blocker add-on. Regardless of my NoScript settings -- or even if I disable it -- the ad never shows for me.

I was able to take the above screenshot from another Linux/Firefox machine, so the culprit would seem to be my browser configuration. But then I asked my son to take a look using his Win10/Firefox setup, and he couldn't see it either (he doesn't run NoScript).

The thing that really throws me, though, is that the URL for the above Amazon ad (that I could see on my alt. machine) shows an empty "tag" field. So if these ads are supposed to monetize traffic, I don't see how they could be working.

PS- I think it's bizarre that Amazon keeps revoking MoT's affiliate credentials.
ManOnTime
Site Admin
Has liked: 367 times
Been liked: 1366 times

Re: Amazon ads not appearing in (some) Firefox PC browsers (Windows & Linux)

Post by ManOnTime » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:13 pm

I'm at a loss on this one.

They show up for me on any device I use running Chrome. My guess is it's something to do with Firefox's rendering engine. Since I'm not a programmer, that guess is the most 'help' I can give.

I hate that not all users can have the same experience with their browser of choice.

PS: I don't get the affiliate thing either. I may try again, we'll see.
Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
Sporkboy
Has liked: 491 times
Been liked: 874 times

Post by Sporkboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 am

I somehow missed that you were setting this up. Can you post the affiliate tag or a link someplace so that I can make it my default?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BostonCharlie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by BostonCharlie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 am

ManOnTime wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:13 pm
I'm at a loss on this one.

They show up for me on any device I use running Chrome. My guess is it's something to do with Firefox's rendering engine. Since I'm not a programmer, that guess is the most 'help' I can give.

I hate that not all users can have the same experience with their browser of choice.

PS: I don't get the affiliate thing either. I may try again, we'll see.
Thanks for looking into it.

When I inspect the code I see the iframe and its src url. When I copy that url into the address bar the ad appears. I fooled around with the browser's element inspector w/o any luck. I'll fool with it more as I have time.