We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Amazon ads not appearing in (some) Firefox PC browsers (Windows & Linux)

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Amazon ads not appearing in (some) Firefox PC browsers (Windows & Linux)

Post by BostonCharlie »

This is an upshot of my posts in the chat. Seems that the things I can't see in my browser are Amazon ads like this:
amazon_ad.jpg
The above ad is from this deal post:
http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?p=8548#p8548

I run Firefox on Linux and have the NoScript javascript blocker add-on. Regardless of my NoScript settings -- or even if I disable it -- the ad never shows for me.

I was able to take the above screenshot from another Linux/Firefox machine, so the culprit would seem to be my browser configuration. But then I asked my son to take a look using his Win10/Firefox setup, and he couldn't see it either (he doesn't run NoScript).

The thing that really throws me, though, is that the URL for the above Amazon ad (that I could see on my alt. machine) shows an empty "tag" field. So if these ads are supposed to monetize traffic, I don't see how they could be working.

PS- I think it's bizarre that Amazon keeps revoking MoT's affiliate credentials.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Amazon ads not appearing in (some) Firefox PC browsers (Windows & Linux)

Post by MoT »

I'm at a loss on this one.

They show up for me on any device I use running Chrome. My guess is it's something to do with Firefox's rendering engine. Since I'm not a programmer, that guess is the most 'help' I can give.

I hate that not all users can have the same experience with their browser of choice.

PS: I don't get the affiliate thing either. I may try again, we'll see.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I somehow missed that you were setting this up. Can you post the affiliate tag or a link someplace so that I can make it my default?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

ManOnTime wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:13 pm I'm at a loss on this one.

They show up for me on any device I use running Chrome. My guess is it's something to do with Firefox's rendering engine. Since I'm not a programmer, that guess is the most 'help' I can give.

I hate that not all users can have the same experience with their browser of choice.

PS: I don't get the affiliate thing either. I may try again, we'll see.
Thanks for looking into it.

When I inspect the code I see the iframe and its src url. When I copy that url into the address bar the ad appears. I fooled around with the browser's element inspector w/o any luck. I'll fool with it more as I have time.