We're Moving!

Click for more info.

What Would You Like To See?

Having an issue with the site, or with posting? Create a thread and someone will help as soon as possible.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: What Would You Like To See?

Post by yinzburgher »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:06 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 pm Is there any way to add a "First Unread Post" link for each thread? I seem to remember there was one but it went away.....or maybe I'm misremembering. Would others use this or just me? Too redundant with a "new posts" link already available? Thanks.
Clicking the lit speach bubbles will take you to the first unread post in that thread.

Screenshot_20190919-210434.png
Thank you. I don't know how I didn't know that lol. 🤦‍♂️ Next question......Are there any add-ons to save or bookmark specific posts? If so, it might be something I would use occasionally.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Hey [mention]ManOnTime[/mention], is it possible to move the logout button in the top toolbar? Especially on mobile, I accidentally click on that instead of the notification button more times than I like to admit. If it could be left of the help button, or even just left of profile button at least, that would help.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:26 am Hey @ManOnTime, is it possible to move the logout button in the top toolbar? Especially on mobile, I accidentally click on that instead of the notification button more times than I like to admit. If it could be left of the help button, or even just left of profile button at least, that would help.
I do that all the time. It should be possible, I'll look into it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

More of an aside, and the topic didn't seem to be worth having its own thread: While this thread was a good idea, the number of stale codes (including last year's holiday codes) and lack of recent codes suggest it might be time to rethink it.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:20 am
yinzburgher wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 am---- Similar to WUS, I would like to see a thread where I could post eBay auctions. However I'm afraid I would be the only one who uses it and I know most people are more interested in seeing the sales subforum grow and succeed.

I don't see why that can't be done now. See the recent Vintage Watch and Accessory Deals thread for example.
Hey MoT/mods. I probably wasn't so clear here about what I had in mind. I'm wondering if it would be ok to post links for items I am auctioning on ebay. Is that something that is OK to post in the sales subforum or would it be best to have a seperate ebay section or neither? I'm thinking about something like the subforum at this link HERE. Basically I'm listing a whole bunch of watches for auction on ebay and would like to alert other forum members that they are available for bidding. Any thoughts are appreciated.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

An eBay sales section is something I obviously overlooked when making this place.

I'll correct that tomorrow, I'm about to hit the sack for the night.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Hey [mention]yinzburgher[/mention] and everyone else, an eBay Listings section has been added. :D

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Just a minor housekeeping suggestion here. These threads and this new section:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=570
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=896
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1453
viewforum.php?f=35&sid=ca49bff5c2d0bf95435de51e5b6a284e

Seems like they'd fit better under "Watch Talk" than "Chatter," if I understand correctly that "Chatter" is supposed to be where non-horological discussions go on. Kinda confusing to have board-topical stuff bleeding over into the off-topic section. Also makes it harder to find a specific thread sometimes. Or maybe I am just misunderstanding the intent.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:58 pm Just a minor housekeeping suggestion here. These threads and this new section:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=570
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=896
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1453
viewforum.php?f=35&sid=ca49bff5c2d0bf95435de51e5b6a284e

Seems like they'd fit better under "Watch Talk" than "Chatter," if I understand correctly that "Chatter" is supposed to be where non-horological discussions go on. Kinda confusing to have board-topical stuff bleeding over into the off-topic section. Also makes it harder to find a specific thread sometimes. Or maybe I am just misunderstanding the intent.

You're correct on three of four. I've straightened things up.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

I wanted to share some thoughts regarding the chatter which frequently happens in the HUISABH thread. I understand that there's a certain desire to have this thread be an enumeration of deals rather than a discussion. I get that, especially if you subscribe to the thread only to be pinged a million times about the CW site not working. On the flip side, because this isn't a computer-generated list of deals, it's only human to want to have "in-context”, follow-on conversations. The same things come up after any major deals:
- positive/negative experiences with the vendor
- “my watch just came in, check it out"
- observations about the watch ("there are no alignment issues, do think this Seiko is fake?")
- order status ("my order is delayed", "did you get yours yet?", "canceled", etc)

Yes, there are threads where all of those would fit, but it's rather unnatural to fragment what amounts to a single experience of "buying a watch from a deal" into a smattering of disparate threads...provide status here, review vendor there, show off your watch in yet another place, so on and so forth.

I think from the perspective of discovering and consuming content, having a structure in place makes a lot of sense. For example if I’m thinking of purchasing from a particular vendor, it’s nice to have a designated "Retailer Reviews" section. If however you want to discuss anything pertaining to a posted deal, be it the watch itself, vendor, or your experience, having to compartmentalize your thoughts into separate forums/threads is quite tedious and frankly disincentivizes communication.

Assuming I'm not totally off and others share these sentiments, I'd like to put forward a few ideas:

- An official HUISABH-meta thread. A scenic frontage road to the deal superhighway that is the official HUISABH thread. Laxer rules on what's considered “off-topic banter". Any prolonged chatter on HUISABH can be "taken to meta". Maybe repurpose "Deals Talk"?

- If a single "meta" thread is too unstructured, how about a designated section for HUISABH deal breakout threads? We sort of have that now, but it's very informal. Someone (mod, OP, or someone else) creates a thread and diverts conversation there. If the concept was a bit more formalized I think it would have a wider adoption.
Living a comeback montage.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

peskydonut wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:40 pm I wanted to share some thoughts regarding the chatter which frequently happens in the HUISABH thread. I understand that there's a certain desire to have this thread be an enumeration of deals rather than a discussion. I get that, especially if you subscribe to the thread only to be pinged a million times about the CW site not working. On the flip side, because this isn't a computer-generated list of deals, it's only human to want to have "in-context”, follow-on conversations. The same things come up after any major deals:
- observations about the watch ("there are no alignment issues, do think this Seiko is fake?")
- order status ("my order is delayed", "did you get yours yet?", "canceled", etc)

Yes, there are threads where all of those would fit, but it's rather unnatural to fragment what amounts to a single experience of "buying a watch from a deal" into a smattering of disparate threads...provide status here, review vendor there, show off your watch in yet another place, so on and so forth.

I think from the perspective of discovering and consuming content, having a structure in place makes a lot of sense. For example if I’m thinking of purchasing from a particular vendor, it’s nice to have a designated "Retailer Reviews" section. If however you want to discuss anything pertaining to a posted deal, be it the watch itself, vendor, or your experience, having to compartmentalize your thoughts into separate forums/threads is quite tedious and frankly disincentivizes communication.

Assuming I'm not totally off and others share these sentiments, I'd like to put forward a few ideas:

- An official HUISABH-meta thread. A scenic frontage road to the deal superhighway that is the official HUISABH thread. Laxer rules on what's considered “off-topic banter". Any prolonged chatter on HUISABH can be "taken to meta". Maybe repurpose "Deals Talk"?

- If a single "meta" thread is too unstructured, how about a designated section for HUISABH deal breakout threads? We sort of have that now, but it's very informal. Someone (mod, OP, or someone else) creates a thread and diverts conversation there. If the concept was a bit more formalized I think it would have a wider adoption.
Thanks for the feedback.
First I'll caveat that these are my thoughts and opinions and not putting on my "Mod" hat.

I get that people like to add to the discussion, add to a debate, share what excites them, and that is fine.
When it seems to start getting out of hand, then you see one of us put in a gentle reminder of why we are all here and on the main HUISBAH thread...deals.

When you see that there is a new post in that thread, what do you want to see?
Is it two - three pages of people having issues buying a Christopher Ward or an actual deal that you might want to buy?
(Honestly, I will be SO happy when the C.Ward Daily Deals are over.)

As far as "in-context”, follow-on conversations, unless someone has something to add about a recently posted deal, that topic can (and should) be included in another existing thread on the forum. Otherwise, how is it really helping anyone with the current deals being shared?

For instance, In my opinion, there is absolutely NO reason to show off a new watch in the main thread. Only reason I can even imagine it being "on topic," is the watch is still in stock and deal is still active or potentially better. But if it was bought off a deal a week or so prior, how does that help anyone else? Especially when we have a very active Show Off Your New Watch thread.

And if folks want to just chat about watches, we do have a Discord channel for that, which really doesn't get much use as it should.

I guess I am not really following how your suggestions would play out.
Could you possibly explain them in a little more detail?
I know Matt, Steve, and I are open to changes if it improves things.

Ultimately, we want to make this place as enjoyable as possible for everyone.
I guess I did end up putting my "Mod" hat back on at some point. :/
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:14 pm
peskydonut wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:40 pm I wanted to share some thoughts regarding the chatter which frequently happens in the HUISABH thread. I understand that there's a certain desire to have this thread be an enumeration of deals rather than a discussion. I get that, especially if you subscribe to the thread only to be pinged a million times about the CW site not working. On the flip side, because this isn't a computer-generated list of deals, it's only human to want to have "in-context”, follow-on conversations. The same things come up after any major deals:

Thanks for the feedback.
First I'll caveat that these are my thoughts and opinions and not putting on my "Mod" hat.

I get that people like to add to the discussion, add to a debate, share what excites them, and that is fine.
When it seems to start getting out of hand, then you see one of us put in a gentle reminder of why we are all here and on the main HUISBAH thread...deals.

When you see that there is a new post in that thread, what do you want to see?
Is it two - three pages of people having issues buying a Christopher Ward or an actual deal that you might want to buy?
(Honestly, I will be SO happy when the C.Ward Daily Deals are over.)

As far as "in-context”, follow-on conversations, unless someone has something to add about a recently posted deal, that topic can (and should) be included in another existing thread on the forum. Otherwise, how is it really helping anyone with the current deals being shared?

For instance, In my opinion, there is absolutely NO reason to show off a new watch in the main thread. Only reason I can even imagine it being "on topic," is the watch is still in stock and deal is still active or potentially better. But if it was bought off a deal a week or so prior, how does that help anyone else? Especially when we have a very active Show Off Your New Watch thread.

And if folks want to just chat about watches, we do have a Discord channel for that, which really doesn't get much use as it should.

I guess I am not really following how your suggestions would play out.
Could you possibly explain them in a little more detail?
I know Matt, Steve, and I are open to changes if it improves things.

Ultimately, we want to make this place as enjoyable as possible for everyone.
I guess I did end up putting my "Mod" hat back on at some point. :/
To be clear, I am not lobbying for more discussion in the main thread; in fact I'm proposing the opposite.

CW posts may be annoying and plentiful, but they directly relate to a deal. Not the posting of a deal, but someone actually trying to make use of the deal- as in trying to buy a watch through CW's awful site, getting frustrated, seeing if anyone else is having luck (maybe they have some suggestion on how to get it to work). Same with the Invictastores deal. People were waiting for shipment, some had them canceled some got a thrashed box. Same for the Jet deal, same for Massgenie, etc, etc. Most, if not all of those got their own threads and rightfully so.

Basically all I'm proposing is this:

1. We acknowledge that these are normal conversations in relation to the deals (I think this is already the case)
2. Formalize how/where these conversations should happen and clearly communicate that out in order to set everyone's expectations. A single meta thread could be one place for such discussions. Having a designated place for people to create "breakout" discussion threads would be another way to organize conversations related to specific deals. The point is, providing a landing pad for those conversations and guiding people towards using those places.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Apologies if this reads like nonsense, I am quite tired.
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

Not super familiar with phpBB on a technical level, but here's a pie in the sky idea...

What if there was a "Discuss this deal" button you could click next to a deal to start a separate thread in a designated place. In the newly created thread, first post would embed (or quote) the original deal from the HUISABH thread. Back on the HUISABH deal there would automatically appear a link from the deal post to the newly created discussion thread.

Again, please stop me if I'm solving a problem that nobody is having. This is a common affliction in my profession.

EDIT: For starters, maybe the "Discuss this deal" is just a link to a Discord channel.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Hi [mention]peskydonut[/mention] and thank you for taking the time to submit your ideas here. We are always focused on continuous improvement to make this community as great as can be for our members, and appreciate your active involvement.

We strive to keep the deals thread as usable as possible for its intended purposes. These are:
  1. to be a place for members to report / share deals and
  2. to be a tool for members to quickly be alerted of and take advantage of deals (either via alerts when a deal is posted or by providing a list of deals that they can quickly scroll through to take advantage).
We allow some amount of chatter and discussion and only “moderate” gently when it begins to adversely affect usability for these purposes (i.e., members receiving multiple alerts for non-deals, having to scroll through half pages of chatter, etc). We try to encourage members to spawn conversations in other topic-specific threads (either existing or start their own) or as [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] suggested, to use the Discord channel. We prefer members to be a larger part in the community we host (not just the deals thread). These other threads can always be linked from deal posts to allow other members to jump in and join the conversation.

We are under some technical limitations regarding use of metadata or conversation threading (we are unable to support functionality like most email programs now offer to group posts and collapse/expand as embedded conversation threads). It is also not possible to trigger alerts based on metadata to differentiate between a deal and non-deal posts so that members could configure them to only receive a “buzz” on their phone when an actual deal is posted. This functionality is only configurable at the thread level.

As a result, I do not believe we will change our overall approach here. I do like very much the suggestion of a button to allow spawning a new thread / bringing members to one that is already started for a deal post. This would be a “poor man’s“ way to replicate the functionality of conversation threading and give the best of both worlds. However, I do not know if it is technically achievable with phpBB. It is something i will suggest that we look into further.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
peskydonut
MoT Member

Post by peskydonut »

[mention]watchpalooza[/mention], [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] Thank you both for the thoughtful responses. Both followups include an explanation for why the deals thread is not ideal for a ton of discussion. My suggestions were in support of that goal. This is what I was trying to get across: "people want to have conversations, here are some ways you can help them have those conversations elsewhere, freeing up the HUISABH for deals." I won't belabor the point much more.