We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Osteoman
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by Osteoman »

M111 wrote:
Osteoman wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:59 pm
M111 wrote:My turquoise dial Karon arrived from Maranez' Chinese New Year Sale. I sold a red jasper version to buy this one. I love the blue. In the right light, you can also see the natural cracks running through the turquoise which is way cool! It is huge, but I don't really care. It is one of my swimming pool watches.

maranez1.jpg

It also has the unreal Maranez lume!

maranez2.jpg
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this watch but it's beautiful. Is it bronze? I've started my own bronze collection and like the look of that a lot.

Wear it in good health.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thank you! The turquoise is very nice. They actually have several natural stone dial versions. The case is brass though, not bronze. You can see all their watches at maranez.com, but unfortunately, the 20% off sale is over. Still, they are not too expensive even at regular price.
Thank you for the information. I will check it out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I bit on the beat-up $25 G-Shock deal I posted after Poshmark gave me a $1 shipping promo for signing up. I have long admired this module, and I figured if the bezel and strap were a waste I could swap bodies with my Tron square (here) when I wanted to change things up. Plus I wanted to see just how hard it is to clean up a G.

Here was the original deal. I asked, and she said the crystal had no scratches. The white skid marks are paint or something stuck on the watch -- whatever happened, the G stood up better than its adversary:
[img]https://di2ponv0v5otw.cloudfront.net/po ... 1373b7.jpg[/img]

It arrived looking just like this. The inside of the strap was grimy from regular use (as expected from the photos). I googled around and read lots of suggestions for how to clean a G -- didn't find a consensus. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I didn't worry too much about it.

I removed the strap and bezel and scrubbed them with a tooth brush in dish soap & water. The white marks were tough. Experimenting a bit, I found that they came off best by scrubbing them with side of a toothpick in the soap & water: I used the side of the soapy toothpick and scrubbed perpendicular to its grain. It worked fast, too. Funny.

Next I tried soaking and scrubbing these in an ammonia solution -- nothing gained by that.

Next I soaked and scrubbed these in a strong bleach solution as recommended by konax. That worked a treat. The letters on the bezel brightened up (they were bad) and the grime inside the strap (which is porous) actually cleared up. The strap is still worn, but the grime is (almost) gone (but there's no help for the keeper -- maybe I'll soak the strap some more). The shiny 'G-Lide' finish seems unaffected by this hours-long soak (some folks online warned against using bleach on G straps/bezels). After the bleach treatment I washed them with soap & water and gave them a good rinse.

I washed the spring bars and bezel screws in rubbing alcohol so that they would dry fast.

I'm surprised how well it turned out:
IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3087.JPG
I hope I'm always this lucky with my experiments!
M111
MoT Member

Post by M111 »

Ok, I was skeptical, but I bit on the $332 Technomarine 7750 Black Reef Chrono from Watchgooroo on eBay.

I should not have been! This is a hell of a watch. I used to have a Tag Heuer Aquaracer CAJ2110. This is every bit its match! Let me repeat, this is every bit the match of a watch that retailed for around $3000! The only differences are that this is one tenth that price, and I like it better!

I can't believe these are still available, and if you like chunky chronos, you are a fool if you don't get one before they are gone. I wish I could get the red one too, honestly, but I can't right now!
IMG_20190225_125256112~2.jpg
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Vostok Komandirskie 41mm Automatic 200m GMT/Dual Time Watch 650539

I never owned a Vostok before but started to notice that more Vostoks were using all stainless steel cases and bezels (rather than chrome plating) so I started browsing and found this model. Despite its Komandirskie designation, it has an Amphibia case and 200m WR with a screw-down crown. It is one of the more affordable options available for an automatic GMT watch. It does not have an independently adjusted hour hand or GMT hand. Both hands move together when setting and keeping time, on a 12 hour rotation for the hour hand and a 24 hour rotation for the GMT hand. A second time zone is tracked using the rotating 24 hour bezel. It is bi-directional with no clicks but it does tend to stay in place. It has an offset seconds sub-dial and no date. See the youtube review (although his watch has a weird-looking bezel) and Meranom's site for more details. Anyway, I'm loving this watch and I think it's a great value. It may not be a true GMT but it effectively tracks a second time so it's basically an automatic GMT for less than $80 on ebay or Meranom.

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kZQAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg[/img]

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... 4e568b.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201903 ... aa45f3.jpg[/IMG]
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

This arrived today. It didn’t look quite right on the leather strap it came with, and after trying about 10 straps I decided it needed a bracelet. Found this unusual one in the box...and it seemed to have the same 70’s vibe. Took about an hour with the ultrasonic and toothbrush to clean out all the rave gunk and remove the extension links.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/24/V01k4Z.jpg[/img]
[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/24/V01MCd.jpg[/img]
[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/24/V01RT2.jpg[/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Another new arrival...vintage Certina KF330B (“military” watch). Here on Perlon.

[img]https://picr.me/i/2019/04/24/V0e6Fq.jpg[/img]
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Timex Ironman Triathlon T5K195, I think. I don't really know the name of this thing. Sometimes the reference is listed as T5K1959J. Sometimes other terms are thrown in there.....Shock 30, Original, Classic, Endure, whatever. Anyway I'm pleased with it. I'm really impressed with how solid and indestructible this thing feels. It's about a mm or 2 thicker than I would like but otherwise the size is perfect for me. I have a G-Shock DW5600 and I really like it but this thing is sturdier, easier to use, more legible. It has one of my favorite features in all of watchmaking -- Indiglo. And it costs about the same or slightly more than my square, $44ish. I got mine for $33 on ebay. I've heard the strap isn't quite so durable but I have no complaints so far. I would definitely recommend one of these if you're in the market for a tough digital watch, especially for working out/exercise.

ImageImageImage
Last edited by yinzburgher on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ffeingol
MoT Member

Post by ffeingol »

Crappy indoor picture (as it's been raining here all week). Got the stock strap removed and put in on this Perlon. Happy so far.

[img][/img]
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

cel4145 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 pm Just last night, I received this Davosa Race Legend speedy homage

PSX_20190111_160623.jpg
Lovely. Great to see another Davosa fan. :D
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Two new pick-ups to show here. This minty fresh Seiko Blue Alpinist SBP089 arrived today. I bought right here in the sales forum from [mention]Canyonary[/mention] for a great price. And a Longines Heritage 1969 L2.310.4 from ebay arrived a few days ago. Used with no box, no papers so I got it for less than a third of the retail price. Very happy with these.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... d20d49.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 97324b.jpg[/IMG]
Halaku
MoT Member

Post by Halaku »

This beauty arrived from the [emoji627] today
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201905 ... 4a2d5c.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Halaku wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm This beauty arrived from the [emoji627] today

You should have gotten the brighter blue one. :D
So many shades of blue, these photos don't even begin to portray the show this dial puts on. Sky blue, metallic blue, deep ocean blue. Oh, what the heck, Divine Blue.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Halaku
MoT Member

Post by Halaku »

PetWatch wrote:
Halaku wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm This beauty arrived from the [emoji627] today

You should have gotten the brighter blue one. :D
So many shades of blue, these photos don't even begin to portray the show this dial puts on. Sky blue, metallic blue, deep ocean blue. Oh, what the heck, Divine Blue.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
So very true ... all those beautiful blues , brings back memories of my sarb045 ....

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Just got this beauty in a trade. Full kit never worn. Comes with 2 NATO rally straps, very nice leather rally strap, Milanese strap, very nice watch tool, and a beautiful carry case. Very good weight and beautiful green in the Sun. No seconds have which I'll have to get used to but the Chrono seconds it's nice sweeping action with flyback. And internal rotating bezel for second time zone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Bbrou33 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am Just got this beauty in a trade. Full kit never worn. Comes with 2 NATO rally straps, very nice leather rally strap, Milanese strap, very nice watch tool, and a beautiful carry case. Very good weight and beautiful green in the Sun. No seconds have which I'll have to get used to but the Chrono seconds it's nice sweeping action with flyback. And internal rotating bezel for second time zone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Lovely! Stylistically very similar to the Tudor Heritage Chrono.