We're Moving!

Click for more info.

PerpetuaL Watches - R01 mini review

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
pgcity
MoT Member

PerpetuaL Watches - R01 mini review

Post by pgcity »

My original post on deal is here http://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php? ... ual#p17880

After the order was made, I emailed Alex Lee on stating a lower value for customs purposes if possible when shipping. He attached an invoice value of USD 30 and I was not charged by customs. A few days after that I emailed to ask on the size of taper at the deployant buckle. 24 hours later and without a response, I emailed again to which he promptly replied. It is 20mm at the lugs, tapering to 18mm at the buckle. He also mentioned that he's run out of the watch box and will be sending that in a few weeks after sending the watch. I will update thIs post when it arrives.

He also posted a short instruction manual on using the watch in the email.

The instructions are as follows:

"Regulator R-01/02
2 positions of the crown, 1 & 2
position 1 - winding position
position 2 - Hour/ Minute Hands setting (no stop seconds feature)
Time Discrepancy*
The Regulator R-01/02’s movement caliber (ST1711) the Hour hand is driven indirectly. When the Hour/Minute hands are setting/adjusting backwards, the Hour hand will appear to be losing 15-20 minutes, but just within 10 minutes later the Hour hand will resume its proper order. To avoid such discrepancy appearance, it is recommended to set the time in clockwise direction."

The watch arrived well packed with bubble wrap and plenty of blue stickers on the case and buckle to avoid scratches but in a plastic food container. Yes not pretty but works. A warranty card is included too. The caseback has simple Geneva stripes with the PerpetuaL logo on it with similar logo on crown. I think that's a nice touch. The leather strap is of decent quality and thickness so doesn't feel cheap. It is imprinted with "Perpetual" and "Cuir Veritable" text on the underside. I will be taking it to a watch shop to get the buckle positioned better for my wrist .I couldn't figure that out.

As this is my first regulator watch, reading the time took a while. 10mins before the hour, the hour hand is dead center on the hour mark till about 1 or 2 mins past the hour when it moves slightly beyond it. Another quirk is at 1.01, 2.05 etc when the hour and minute hand overlap. As a dress watch it's gorgeous but it does make you appreciate regular dial/digital watches for ease of reading time. I'm sure I will get used to it soon enough.

The star of the show of course is the beautiful cream dial. As this is also my first watch with a chinese movement so will see the accuracy in next few days. Overall happy with purchase so far. Some pictures posted below.
Last edited by pgcity on Fri May 17, 2019 5:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
pgcity
MoT Member

Re: PerpetuaL Watches - R02

Post by pgcity »

more pictures
pgcity
MoT Member

Re: PerpetuaL Watches - R02

Post by pgcity »

and a few more
pgcity
MoT Member

Re: PerpetuaL Watches - R01 mini review

Post by pgcity »

figured out the buckle. Just need to pop open and insert the pin into the desired strap hole.
A few negatives on the watch:
1. The supplied strap is short on my 7in wrist as it's listed as 75/115mm on the site. If watch is worn slightly tighter, the butterfly clasp pins do bite into the wrist.
2. Winding the crown is smooth, however there is noise which sounds to me very much like winding up a spring. I also would have liked the onion crown to have been a little bit bigger.
3. The rotor is slightly noisy when the watch is shaken. Using this video as reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a92gdLlsjfs it's between Rodina and Ik Coloring. That would be the 2nd and 3rd watch in the video.
4. There is a grey/white plastic shroud holding the entire movement surrounding the case if you view the caseback through an angle. It would have been better if was painted black perhaps.

Pictures on issues above attached below.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

Update: As it's been a little over a month now and am still happy with the watch. It runs approx 7-8 seconds fast per day. On the issue of the box which was to be shipped a few weeks from purchase, I have not received it yet. I emailed the owner(Alex) for an update yesterday and received the following reply.

"The boxes aren't acquired yet.The primary purpose of the box is to secure & protect the watch for the shipping.Could I offer you an alternate option ? US$10.00 refund (via PayPal).to conclude your order."

I've asked for an ETA instead of a refund so will update this thread when I receive a reply.
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

Update: I've emailed roughly once a month since June so after 3 emails( 3 months) on the status of the box, he finally has new boxes but they are just plain paper packaging with no logo. He mentioned customer requested with logo and if I was willing to wait, he will send it. Told him the old box looked nicer and preferred that instead. Anyway I took on his offer of USD 10 and concluded the order.

Anyway, the watches are back on pre-sale and scheduled to be shipped in January 2020 if anyone is interested. Any I will post pictures of my watch in case anyone is interested as the pictures above were corrupted.