We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Seals Watch Co.

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Seals Watch Co.

Post by Dub Rubb »

I was working out of town last week (El Dorado Hills, Ca) and did what most of us would do after work. Google "watch shops near me". The first place was a jewellery store with no watches, and the second result was Seals Watch Co. Now I had seen this microbrand before posted on WUS, but didn't think they had a store. Time to google more.

I find the website, and there is no address listed, just that they are based in EDH. I reach out via the link on the website and ask if they have a storefront or any retailers nearby, since I wanted to check out their watches in person (we all know how pics can make watches look great).

A couple hours later, I recieve an email from Michael, the man behind Seals. He tells me there is no storefront, but he would be glad to meet up and show me some of his watches. He suggested some local places to meet and and talk watches over some beers (that is an easy sell for me!) and one of the places was like 200' from my hotel!

We agree to meet up the next day and he brings some prototypes as well as some one offs along with things that are currently in production. We kicked back had some beers and talked watches for quite a while. He is really passionate about his watches and what goes into making them, but it never felt like a sales pitch. This isn't his job, just a side hobby born out of a love for Watches.

The finishing on these cannot be captured by my cheapo phone camera, but I can assure you, it is very well done. All in all, I ended up purchasing a one off model A on bracelet for a great price, and he even offered to throw in a second bracelet since the one it was on had some tiny scratches.

To sum it up, Michael is a really easy going guy with a passion for all things watches, and also a big beer guy, so obviously we got along. All of his watch models and their names have a story behind them too. I had way more fun spending a few hours this way than I would have if I had found the watch shop near me I was looking for. Now I know these aren't for everyone, but if you are ever in El Dorado Hills, give him a shout and check out his watches.

Thanks for making it this far, your reward is some pictures of never before seen prototypes and some current production models as well as the watch I picked up for myself.

Here is a link to his site for anyone interested in better pictures lol. https://seals-watches.com/

*I have no affiliation with seals watch co. Just had a great introduction to the brand through the owner and wanted to share here first.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Seals Watch Co.

Post by TheJohnP »

Was waiting for this story and did not disappoint! Thanks for sharing. I've seen Seals before, but haven't stayed on my radar. Glad to read he is a cool and passionate watch guy.

Reminds me of a time I was planning on staying overnight in High Point, NC and reached out to Fred from Bernhardt. He was willing to meet and show his watches, unfortunately I wasn't able to stay long enough to take him up on his generous offer.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Great story and nice watches! Seals has been on my radar for some time now.

You did tell him about us, right? Michael and Seals would be a great fit for our Brand Showcase.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
quincas
MoT Member

Post by quincas »

Thanks for the story Dub...
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Great story Dubb! Love some of those watches. Especially the one you picked up!
Sounds like a great way to spend a few hours. Hanging out, drinking beers, checking out cool watches. Living the dream!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Just a couple more pics I took recently. One cool little detail on this watch is the way they slightly beveled the endlinks and changed brushing direction to continue the shape of the case. Also, this is the only bracelet I own that tapers in both width and thickness. Pretty cool little details.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thank you for sharing this unique watch. It looks like the crown guard is a separately machined part that is actually screwed into the case. Nice to see that technique being used here, and to see some actual screws used for a mechanical connection vs. the fake screw heads that are regularly in fashion by some brands.

Could we get a picture of the caseback?