We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by Robotaz »

Osteoman
MoT Member

Post by Osteoman »

Okay I just received a different Zelos! From the last bay discount.

I agree with the packaging. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

audiolab1

Post by audiolab1 »

Chunky but cool! A true bargain for $98 and even better it arrived in Canada with no additional fees owing. :)Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

audiolab1 wrote:Chunky but cool! A true bargain for $98 and even better it arrived in Canada with no additional fees owing. :)Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't agree more. I love the weight of it with the bracelet.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I can't imagine this one will become a keeper, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it while I have it. Snagged off of eBay.Image
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:18 pm I can't imagine this one will become a keeper, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it while I have it. Snagged off of eBay.
Always liked this watch...curious, what keeps you from holding onto it?
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

FTE wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:55 am
yinzburgher wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:18 pm I can't imagine this one will become a keeper, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it while I have it. Snagged off of eBay.
Nothing negative about the watch actually. I'll hold on to it for a while but I am very much a flipper. Flipping is very much a way for me to "have more" and "experience more" different watches for me. I have a certain few watches that I can imagine keeping for my lifetime but I doubt this will be one of them. I actually already own a very different Seaforth and have barely worn that one but I couldn't resist bidding on this one. I think other bidders stayed away because it didn't come with the pouch and only had one of the two straps. But that sort of stuff doesn't bother me too much so I got it for a pretty good price. And I'm a sucker for a deal. Also, due to the cost of servicing Swiss movements, hanging on to too many watches with Swiss movements seems very impractical to me. Unfortunately there is this game many of us play (myself included), in which we buy, and trade, and flip watches. But we prefer not to be the one stuck with the costs of servicing. It doesn't bother me at all to service the few Swiss watches that I plan to hold on to forever but for one like this, unless I get very attached, it makes more sense to me to enjoy it for a year and then flip it and experience something different. Hot potato. The burden of servicing gets passed to the next guy. For this reason, I actually like the idea of owning NH35 watches because I do the occasional mod and can just buy a movement for $30 and replace it myself if I need to. Many collectors wouldn't approve of these ideas. I'm not saying that they are right, but rather that they are just true for me. Also, I'm not opposed to microbrands and I have owned several. While there is often great value with microbrand watches, I've found that there is something about the history and heritage of my Hamilton watches (and others) that make them more likely to be long-term keepers for me. Additionally, this particular watch is probably not the most versatile one. There are other reasons but there is more reading here than you were looking for I'm sure. If your not opposed to microbrands, I would actually recommend a Halios. QC seemed to suffer slightly according to some with this last larger round of production but my experience was good. Great designs, good CS, quality material, and decent resale value.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

NY0040. I can't believe I've never owned this before. I imagine this is what I'll be wearing for the next few weeks.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

Picked up the Seiko Jade Monster from eBay during the recent 15% off discount eBay had.
PSX_20190107_113632.jpg
Reviewers are right about how great the sunburst effect is on the dial. And then the color change. More of a teal blue in certain light, and then the jade green comes out at other times. Just an all-around great looking watch.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

cel4145 wrote:Picked up the Seiko Jade Monster from eBay during the recent 15% off discount eBay had.
PSX_20190107_113632.jpg
Reviewers are right about how great the sunburst effect is on the dial. And then the color change. More of a teal blue in certain light, and then the jade green comes out at other times. Just an all-around great looking watch.
That's one of my favorite watches and I don't even regret paying retail for it.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

I'm trying not to buy anything so I can save up and get something around $1k, which would be a huge purchase for me when it comes to watches.

You guys aren't making it easy.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

ManOnTime wrote:I'm trying not to buy anything so I can save up and get something around $1k, which would be a huge purchase for me when it comes to watches.

You guys aren't making it easy.
Haha me too. I've resisted 6 purchases and it's only been 7 days into the new year!!
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:53 am
cel4145 wrote:Picked up the Seiko Jade Monster from eBay during the recent 15% off discount eBay had.

PSX_20190107_113632.jpg

That's one of my favorite watches and I don't even regret paying retail for it.
When I first heard about the increased cost of the 3rd generation Seiko Monsters over previous generations, I was a bit disappointed. The earlier watches had the more accessible price that allowed a wider range of collectors and allowed people to collect more. But I am very happy with the watch now that I have one. It is exceptional.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

Got this lobster from the deals thread for $160. Stupidly good watch for that money. I really like this watch and will definitely keep it.

AardyArr

Post by AardyArr »

yinzburgher wrote:
FTE wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:55 am
Nothing negative about the watch actually. I'll hold on to it for a while but I am very much a flipper. Flipping is very much a way for me to "have more" and "experience more" different watches for me. I have a certain few watches that I can imagine keeping for my lifetime but I doubt this will be one of them. I actually already own a very different Seaforth and have barely worn that one but I couldn't resist bidding on this one. I think other bidders stayed away because it didn't come with the pouch and only had one of the two straps. But that sort of stuff doesn't bother me too much so I got it for a pretty good price. And I'm a sucker for a deal. Also, due to the cost of servicing Swiss movements, hanging on to too many watches with Swiss movements seems very impractical to me. Unfortunately there is this game many of us play (myself included), in which we buy, and trade, and flip watches. But we prefer not to be the one stuck with the costs of servicing. It doesn't bother me at all to service the few Swiss watches that I plan to hold on to forever but for one like this, unless I get very attached, it makes more sense to me to enjoy it for a year and then flip it and experience something different. Hot potato. The burden of servicing gets passed to the next guy. For this reason, I actually like the idea of owning NH35 watches because I do the occasional mod and can just buy a movement for $30 and replace it myself if I need to. Many collectors wouldn't approve of these ideas. I'm not saying that they are right, but rather that they are just true for me. Also, I'm not opposed to microbrands and I have owned several. While there is often great value with microbrand watches, I've found that there is something about the history and heritage of my Hamilton watches (and others) that make them more likely to be long-term keepers for me. Additionally, this particular watch is probably not the most versatile one. There are other reasons but there is more reading here than you were looking for I'm sure. If your not opposed to microbrands, I would actually recommend a Halios. QC seemed to suffer slightly according to some with this last larger round of production but my experience was good. Great designs, good CS, quality material, and decent resale value.
I’m the same way when it comes to servicing and flipping. In my subconscious all my autos have a countdown timer, and when that timer runs out, I’ll be out money. I’d rather spend the money well before that on acquiring something different. (To be clear: I’ll tell a buyer if a watch needs servicing when I sell it).

I love anything with a 7s26 because you can just drop in a new movement when it goes bad. And quartz is growing on me. I had a Bulova Lobster die recently. Instead of worrying about the repair cost and the hassle of shipping it *somewhere*, I got on Amazon and ordered a set of squash balls and a new battery.