How many watches do YOU think is a good amount for a collection?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

How many watches do YOU think is a good amount for a collection?

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

Lately I've been wondering what the ideal watch collection size would be. In my head I say 3: dress watch, casual watch, tool watch. But when I look at my collection and try to see which I would sell, I'm at a loss because I love them all for different reasons.

I didn't actually know how many watches I owned until I counted them all yesterday. Turns out I'm at 51 right now, and I've spent much more than I dare to admit. I feel ashamed because I have maybe 20 that haven't been worn in over 6 months, but some I just can't bring myself to sell. Maybe I just need to start selling slowly to get the ball rolling.

I think realistically I could get mine down to 20 and be happy... Maybe.

What do you guys think the number is for your collection?
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: How many watches do YOU think is a good amount for a collection?

Post by Dub Rubb »

I'd personally say about 10-15. Yes you could have one of every type of watch, but most of us gravitate towards one type of watch. Yet we want variety. I wear a diver almost every day for work, but I love to alternate between them. Same with my sport or dressy watches. We as watch people like variety.

12 would be my number. Time to cut out about 30 lol.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

gormless
MoT Member

Post by gormless »

I'm having the same dilemma Android.

My current collection is about 22, and that sounds ridiculous when I type it. I used to scoff at my friend when I asked if he had more watches than days of the week but I'm down a rabbit hole I can't get out of myself.

I've been wanting to trim the collection for a while, but like you said, I'm always able to find a reason to keep the watch. I've had some listed for a while with no takers, mainly because I think I would get more utility and pleasure out of the watch than the amount of cash others are currently willing to pay for it.

Sometimes I think seriously about just getting a few luxury pieces of the like you mentioned, but I still can't bring myself to do.

SOTC:
Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
Seiko Co ktail time SARB065
Casio G-shock Rangeman GW-9400BJ
Helm Vanuatu
Seiko Turtle SRP775
Bulova Lunar Pilot
Seiko Sumo SBDC033
Victorinox Infantry Vintage 241375
Glycine Combat 6 Classic GL0101
JeanRichard Aquascope Hokusai
Nodus Retrospect I Nebula Blue
Alpina Alpiner Chronograph AL750X4E6
Steinhart Nav-B Uhr 44 Vintage Titan-a-muster
LTM 62MAS clone
Mondaine stop2go Gottardo
Ventus Black Kite B-03
Zelos Mako v1 Bronze meteorite
Zelos Horizons GMT Aventurine
Casio World Timer AE-1200WHD-1A
Seiko SBDC053
BOLDR Expedition Eiger
Orient Neo 70's WV0041TX

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

gormless wrote:I'm having the same dilemma Android.

My current collection is about 22, and that sounds ridiculous when I type it. I used to scoff at my friend when I asked if he had more watches than days of the week but I'm down a rabbit hole I can't get out of myself.

I've been wanting to trim the collection for a while, but like you said, I'm always able to find a reason to keep the watch. I've had some listed for a while with no takers, mainly because I think I would get more utility and pleasure out of the watch than the amount of cash others are currently willing to pay for it.

Sometimes I think seriously about just getting a few luxury pieces of the like you mentioned, but I still can't bring myself to do.

SOTC:
Helm Vanuatu
Seiko Turtle SRP775
Bulova Lunar Pilot
Seiko Sumo SBDC033
LTM 62MAS clone
Ventus Black Kite B-03
Seiko SBDC053
BOLDR Expedition Eiger
Orient Neo 70's WV0041TX

IMO, just stop where you are. You have a very nice and diverse collection. It's honestly one of those collections to be inspired by. Not much overlap, lots of variety and great quality pieces. You are KILLING it dude!
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

gormless
MoT Member

Post by gormless »

Dub Rubb wrote:
gormless wrote:I'm having the same dilemma Android.

SOTC:
Helm Vanuatu
Seiko Turtle SRP775
Bulova Lunar Pilot
Seiko Sumo SBDC033
LTM 62MAS clone
Ventus Black Kite B-03
Seiko SBDC053
BOLDR Expedition Eiger
Orient Neo 70's WV0041TX

IMO, just stop where you are. You have a very nice and diverse collection. It's honestly one of those collections to be inspired by. Not much overlap, lots of variety and great quality pieces. You are KILLING it dude!
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Thanks Dubb. That means a lot coming from you. I still dream of a Speedy Pro and/or IWC Pilot's Chronograph one day.
Even though I think I have too many Seikos, I am clamouring for a PADI Samurai.
I need more discipline! Some of the watches don't get the love they deserve.

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Dub Rubb wrote:I'd personally say about 10-15. Yes you could have one of every type of watch, but most of us gravitate towards one type of watch. Yet we want variety. I wear a diver almost every day for work, but I love to alternate between them. Same with my sport or dressy watches. We as watch people like variety.

12 would be my number. Time to cut out about 30 lol.

I thought of those exact numbers when I read the question. 10-15 with possibly 12 being ideal. Maybe because that's about how many I have right now but I know a few I'd like to replace for "upgrades".
I think several I have now would stay in the final collection though.
Who knows. I guess I'll see when I get there but for sure ever number will be different for everyone.
But 15 look pretty good on my dresser right now! (Not including the 2 Casio and 1 smart watch in the drawer!)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I am going to say 15-20. I have a 12 watch watch box, and a 3 watch roll. I think it is time to make a bigger watch roll.

I have 4 watches of sentimental value, so I may need a 4 watch box just for those. Those 4 are:
Rolex OP Air King (Father-in-laws)
Seiko Bullhead (Father’s, needs repair)
Timex Ironman (model worn in junior high school)
1979 Timex RR-style (birth year)

I like the variety, and I am currently building my 12 watch box to be the watches I like best. I have an emphasis on field watches.

Sadly, I have way more watches than I need. Mostly from eBay fix-it lots and early Timex mods. Those are mod stock and many are just waiting for cleaning and a battery before going to the local boyscout troop.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

I've always wanted to ask Yankeexpress how many watches he owns but never had the nerve to ask.

So Yankeexpress how many watches in your collection?

I'm at about 20 but having a 15 year old sonwho likes watches gives me a chance to buy and give, but now his 6 piece Wolf watch case is full the $38 Timex Batman GMT filled his case.
ossamanity
MoT Member

Post by ossamanity »

tjcdas wrote:I've always wanted to ask Yankeexpress how many watches he owns but never had the nerve to ask.

So Yankeexpress how many watches in your collection?

I'm at about 20 but having a 15 year old sonwho likes watches gives me a chance to buy and give, but now his 6 piece Wolf watch case is full the $38 Timex Batman GMT filled his case.
Lol. Idk why but when I started reading I was pretty sure his name would be mentioned in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 10122 times

This is my cartoon bubble that Yankeexpress even has to use the tub for watch storage. :D
atdegs
MoT Member

Post by atdegs »

My ideal is three. Generally a GADA, a dress watch, and a beater/diver.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I don't know what my ideal is. I think I'd probably start needing to think about trimming at 20 or 25. I try to buy very deliberately, and have been training myself over time to buy the watch because I love it and will wear it, not because it's a good deal or something everyone likes.
I currently have 9, and that's the most I've ever had. I can't think of any of them that I'd be really happy to sell, I truly like all of them and rotate them regularly.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I would love to say 5, but I always seem to have 8-12. I try to keep only watches I wear, and after about 10 that gets hard.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

I'd have to say in the 10-15 range. I feel any more and it'd get hard to wear them all. I have 12 right now and have a hard time wearing them all. That said, I have like five watches I really want and can't think of any I'd get rid of. Haha, what a dilemma.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Last edited by Stretch44 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

If I was advising or recommending to someone else, I would suggest a collection around 10-12 max. Whatever fills up a standard box.

For me personally, I would say no more than 50. Which I'll have to check, but sure I'm over at this point.

30 would probably be ideal, so you could just about wear a different watch every day of the month.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find