We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

ManOnTime wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:59 am
yinzburgher wrote: Oh wow......this looks great! As expected the blue lume isn't quite as bright as the green but then again the green has exceeded all expectations for brightness to begin with. I really like both but I do favor the "sleeper" white dial to the green color when not aglow. Very nice work.
I think that I like the full lume blue dial better due to the less off-color hue that it gives. I have red green color blindness, and pictures are pictures so you guys will need to have these in hand to evaluate.

Still not happy with the luming process.

I wonder if [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] has access to a light meter. The blue and green could be the same brightness, but because of the way the human eye percieves the wavelengths, the blue may look not as bright.
It looks like it is a science fiction prop from the 70’s, but yes I have one. Now I just need to find a fresh 9V battery.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

Did some testing. These are at different time points, so the ratios are what are important as they should all dim together the same % of their initial brightness as time goes on. Brigtness units are candles per square meter.

Blue/Green/50-50
1.2/1.9/1.8
1.0/1.5,1.4

Roughly, the blue is 2/3 as bright as the green. Oddly enough, mixing 50-50 changes the color quite a bit, but doesn't drop the brightness down 50% from the green benchmark. That is currious, but it means we could go for a blue green that is brighter than the blue itself. How blue can it be before the brightness really takes a dive? I have no idea. I need to bring in my small scale for this I think as I have just been eyeballing it. I guess I could just 3D print a small spoon and do it by volume. That's rough, but should get us in the right ballpark.

I am having a lot of fun with you guys on this project.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK, I was able to sand down the dial to ~0.4mm layer of lume. A bit of edge chipping, but I think I can avoid that in the future. Sanded down to 2000 grit and then used poly watch. Removing 50% of the lume reduced the brightness by ~50%. Go figure.

The lume was looking darker in some spots until I hit it with some polywatch, so that is a bit of the secret sauce here. Going to write up the steps needed and post maybe tomorrow. I will see how repeatable the luming steps are and then hopefully I can get some dials out to you guys.

I will need to pull out my Lorus Lumibrite to do a compare against the blue.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I charged my benchmark Lorus ‘Lumibrite’ and the dial that I sanded down to a 0.4mm layer of lume and the results are acceptable to me.

The green is brighter off the bat, by about a third. Within a minute it dims greatly and the two are equally bright. Since blue is usually not as bright as the green I deem this to be acceptable.

Freshly charged
~1 min
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

More color experiments. I really like the 4:1 ratio here as it feels a little less ‘electric’ than the pure blue. What say ye?

4:1 mix of blue:green vs pure blue

1:0, 4:1, 4:3, 0:1 blue:green
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 pm More color experiments. I really like the 4:1 ratio here as it feels a little less ‘electric’ than the pure blue. What say ye?

I find myself preferring either 4:1 or 4:3
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Sporkboy wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 pm More color experiments. I really like the 4:1 ratio here as it feels a little less ‘electric’ than the pure blue. What say ye?

Ditto.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I would like to award 1 million sporkpoints to Dub Rubb for the great idea of mixing the lume colors.
Sporkpoints have no value and I don’t keep track of them.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:56 pm
TheJohnP wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Ditto.
Same
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

They all look great. I'd be excited to get any of those color dials. Once again if forced to pick, I'm saying full blue or maybe 4:1. I don't love that the blue can't be charged with a standard flashlight/torch but I do love that the uncharged blue lume dial is completely white.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:

They all look great. I'd be excited to get any of those color dials. Once again if forced to pick, I'm saying full blue or maybe 4:1. I don't love that the blue can't be charged with a standard flashlight/torch but I do love that the uncharged blue lume dial is completely white.
The charging issue has to do with the various wavelengths. AFAIK Green is closer to the middle of our visible spectrum and is used in artificial lights that are ‘white’, where blue isn’t usually in there. I will link to a post about it later.

If there is some green, then it would charge in regular lights. How much, I don’t know. We shall see.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:I would like to award 1 million sporkpoints to Dub Rubb for the great idea of mixing the lume colors.
I am Scrooge McDuckin' it in Spork points right now!!! Honestly, I was just curious, but I am REALLY impressed with the results. Well done, and it is just different enough from all the full greens and full blues out there to make it exceptionally cool!! I am seriously impressed with how far you have progressed and how effing cool these dials are turning out. Huge props to you my man, I love it.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:
Sporkboy wrote:I would like to award 1 million sporkpoints to Dub Rubb for the great idea of mixing the lume colors.
I am Scrooge McDuckin' it in Spork points right now!!! Honestly, I was just curious, but I am REALLY impressed with the results. Well done, and it is just different enough from all the full greens and full blues out there to make it exceptionally cool!! I am seriously impressed with how far you have progressed and how effing cool these dials are turning out. Huge props to you my man, I love it.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
This is why great ideas rarely happen in a vacuum. Just bouncing an idea off of each other and throwing out random thoughts can give some really great results. I only have he one brain and I hadn’t thought about mixing the colors at all.

Sometimes the right spark can set off an ‘idea fire’ and collaborations like this project are a great example of what can happen. We all have areas of expertise, and while I have the final decision power, I hope that I have been respectful of everyone’s ideas, fairly evaluated them and used or dismissed them based upon what was the best idea to fit the overall vision for the dial(s).

I really enjoy being a member of this community and it is the jumping in with thoughts and ideas that makes a place or project something special.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

It isn’t as bad as I had feared and you can charge the blue somewhat with a torch or office lights. Not as bright as with UV, but it should work OK. It is hard to show how bright it actually is, so real world testimony and benchmark comparisons will be the best way forward.

I am going to print some more decals today and see if I can get a blue full lumed dial up and running.
With the UV Charge:
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Epic fail today. Was all read for another clear coat when I set a tray right on the dial and put some nice scratches on it.
ImageImage