Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2019

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2019

Post by watchpalooza »

danktrees wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm
VCheng wrote:
danktrees wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:42 am Thanks, I think they had two left, i bought one and someone else looks to have taken the other
I was on the fence but couldn't find real pic of the watch from users. Share some pics when it arrives if you can. I think many are interested to see how it looks in real. Thanks.
I'm not super impressed by the watch now that I have it. The dial is nice but the rest of the watch feels cheap. The bracelet is not very good, picks up fingerprints super easily and something seems off with the weight. It's also fairly loose with a lot of play between each link. The clasp isn't very nice either so it makes the watch feel cheap. The way that the screws and pins are used to adjust the bracelet is stupid as well.

As for the case it's finished the same way as the bracelet so it picks up lots of fingerprints and smudges. I've had nicer PVD watches that I would rate higher. The finish is more of a grey colour, not even close to black. I wasn't expecting it to be vantablack or anything but this is a bit disappointing.

It's keeping very good time, within 2 second after a day so far which is definitely a plus. Winding the watch isn't super smooth, you can feel the gears turning while you wind it. This isn't a terrible issue but it's unimpressive. Combined with the rest of the watch it just doesn't say luxury to me. It's not great when I prefer the look of the computer rendered image on Ashford over the look of the actual watch in real life as it's usually the other way around.

This is not a watch I would consider buying at Ashford's regular discounted price of 1149 and certainly not anywhere near the full MSRP from an AD or something. The only saving grace is the dial (the look of which is subjective) and timekeeping, otherwise this watch not worth owning as there are better options available imo.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. Copied to a mini review in the Review section here
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
pgcity
MoT Member

Post by pgcity »

Reveal number 8. Looks like sold out. Link here https://www.stowa.de/en/Antea+Klassik+3 ... +offer.htm

Update: Looks like available again.
st8.jpg
Last edited by pgcity on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
danktrees
MoT Member

Post by danktrees »

TimePeace wrote:
danktrees wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm
VCheng wrote:
I was on the fence but couldn't find real pic of the watch from users. Share some pics when it arrives if you can. I think many are interested to see how it looks in real. Thanks.
I'm not super impressed by the watch now that I have it. The dial is nice but the rest of the watch feels cheap. The bracelet is not very good, picks up fingerprints super easily and something seems off with the weight. It's also fairly loose with a lot of play between each link. The clasp isn't very nice either so it makes the watch feel cheap. The way that the screws and pins are used to adjust the bracelet is stupid as well.

As for the case it's finished the same way as the bracelet so it picks up lots of fingerprints and smudges. I've had nicer PVD watches that I would rate higher. The finish is more of a grey colour, not even close to black. I wasn't expecting it to be vantablack or anything but this is a bit disappointing.

It's keeping very good time, within 2 second after a day so far which is definitely a plus. Winding the watch isn't super smooth, you can feel the gears turning while you wind it. This isn't a terrible issue but it's unimpressive. Combined with the rest of the watch it just doesn't say luxury to me. It's not great when I prefer the look of the computer rendered image on Ashford over the look of the actual watch in real life as it's usually the other way around.

This is not a watch I would consider buying at Ashford's regular discounted price of 1149 and certainly not anywhere near the full MSRP from an AD or something. The only saving grace is the dial (the look of which is subjective) and timekeeping, otherwise this watch not worth owning as there are better options available imo.
Sorry to hear that. Usually KonTikis get excellent reviews for quality. Perhaps switching out the bracelet for a nice strap would temper the disappointment.

Based on the remaining quality, was it still worth the $642 though?
This will be my last comment on this watch since this isn't the correct thread for it. Any other questions please pm me.

I suppose it's not terrible at this price but I was holding it to a higher standard since it's normally much higher priced even when it's discounted from a grey dealer. I was expecting this to be a good/great deal and it's basically just passable at best. The play in the bracelet makes it rattle when you're handling it which makes it feel and sound super cheap.

With this in mind I would say that there are better options so this watch probably isn't worth it even at this price. For example, I think cward, davosa, steinharts, Hamilton, squale (just to name a few) put out a better product at a better price.

I know we all kind of laugh at how cward always have sales that diminish the value of their watches but the watches themselves actually feel like quality and perform well.

The only reasons I can think of to own this watch are if you like the dial and have to have it or if you just want a kontiki of some sort. Otherwise this watch brings nothing impressive to the table.
feltharg
MoT Member

Post by feltharg »

I have literarly recieved mine minutes before you have posted this!
I followed BDs lead and bought some cheap gift cards. Then spent my ToM credit on this. It was also 20 percent off from similar 2k price, plus the 20 percent on the giftcard..

Net to me was $1308 including tax and shipping. (unfortunatelly didnt use cashback...)

Gorgeous, gorgeous watch, but crazy long lugs.
yinzburgher wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:50 pm Montblanc 1858 Automatic Chronograph - $1645 from Jomashop w/ code MB650

Plus 1% CB from RMN. Reference 117836. Product page here. 42mm. Montblanc Calibre MB 25.11 which is based on a Sellita SW500-1. Next closest price I see is Gemnation at $2000. Link below.

rlachcik
MoT Member

Post by rlachcik »

Ok, need a good deal guys!
Last watch I actually received was the Orient Star Retrograde, purchased from Creation Watches. I posted the deal here, very nice watch, good price. A fraction of what I would have paid for it back home in Canada (I am a snowbird).
I "bought" two Revue Thommens from Gemnation. You know how that went.
I "bought" two watches from Jet.com, even worse!!!! My credit card company has been wonderful in this dispute.
Anyways, I am still hopeful, I am an optimist at heart!
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

danktrees wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:38 am
The only reasons I can think of to own this watch are if you like the dial and have to have it or if you just want a kontiki of some sort. Otherwise this watch brings nothing impressive to the table.
Can you do a small review in the review forum with a few pics? There are not many real pics of this watch and it would help others in the future.
-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

rlachcik wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:12 am Ok, need a good deal guys!
Last watch I actually received was the Orient Star Retrograde, purchased from Creation Watches. I posted the deal here, very nice watch, good price. A fraction of what I would have paid for it back home in Canada (I am a snowbird).
I "bought" two watches from Jet.com, even worse!!!! My credit card company has been wonderful in this dispute.
Be patient, kind of good deals will come as Christmas is coming. For me, I plan to get one more watch, probably an Airman, and end this year.
VCheng
MoT Member

Post by VCheng »

Amazon has the Alpina Startimer for $479.

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Derek80 wrote:Seems like a decent price on Bulova Lunar Pilot Chrono (note, refurb) @ $169:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulova-Mens-96 ... 3371958819

Black PVD available for $154:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulova-Quartz- ... 3338903997
Thank you!
I picked up the pvd version while intoxicated last night!

Geaux Tigahs!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
testing123
MoT Member

Post by testing123 »

ToM has 25% credit today on everything, that's 25% not 25 per hundred. A couple of new watch sales since yesterday too
testing123
MoT Member

Post by testing123 »

Junghans 38mm Bauhaus with 2824 for 429.99 after 25% credit and before any sort of cash back (I would try TopCashBack, you might get lucky)

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/imp ... re-display
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (61.44 KiB) Viewed 2116 times
testing123
MoT Member

Post by testing123 »

362.49 AFTER store credit (469.99 up front) incl shipping for a store display Alpina Alpiner Black Dial. If you don't want a white date wheell at they have another one for 50 bucks more with a color matched date wheel at 3.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/imp ... re-display
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (69.37 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
zoysiamo
MoT Member

Post by zoysiamo »

First deal so I have to keep myself from writing NAD accidentally. Didn't see this posted already.

Tissot T-one automatic men's casual/dress watch on bracelet. Day-date ETA 2834-2 movement. Black and white dials available, also two-tone for $20 more.

$259 with coupon BF2TI60

Very good size: 38mm dia and 10mm thick.

https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-t-one-t ... 57-00.html

https://www.jomashop.com/tissot-t-one-t ... 37-00.html

I had trouble figuring out how to post an image. For those in a similar situation, the Google Image mobile link didn't work, I had to click (long-press) through to the actual image (in this case, from the Jomashop CDN). Then the formatting is like [ url = link to watch page][ img ] CDN image link [ /img ][ /url ] but without the spaces.
testing123
MoT Member

Post by testing123 »

There are 4 or 5 colorways of these watches I've never heard of 'Stranger Times', they have an internal bezel, sapphire, NH35, compressor styling, a 'hammered' dial, a badly placed date window and come on 'kevlar' straps, in case you take a bullet to the wrist. for about 160 bucks after store credit and shipping, before any cb, it may or may not be worth checking out. Don't take my word for it I have no idea, I found one softball review that wasn't terribly convincing, but if you want a large compressor style automatic with a sapphire crystal, here one is. 160 isn't bad but I'd put this in the alixpress category really, so not sure if it's worth that or not..they are listed at 279 on the website of the mfr, and Kmart actually has them listed at 479-549

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/str ... hark201611
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (89.23 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
testing123
MoT Member

Post by testing123 »

rlachcik wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:12 am Ok, need a good deal guys!
Last year AFTER christmas, seemed to me like the deals were at least as good as BF/Cyber Monday. Not as widespread, but they happened to be ones that interested me, I took it as overstock axing