We're Moving!

Click for more info.

MoT Forum Watch: Cincinnati Watch Co or Others

All your KickStarter, Indiegogo, etc watch and watch accessory project threads can be found here.

Moderator: TheJohnP

Should MoT take Cincinnati Watch Company's offer to help create a forum watch?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Yes, based on the new Cincinnatus!
77%
Yes, based on the Pilot (only limited amount available)!
11%
Yes, but it should be bespoke even though it would be significantly more expensive!
5%
No! I'd rather see it produced by... (Leave comment in thread.)
7%

Total votes: 88
NeedWatch12Step
MoT Member

Re: MoT Forum Watch: Cincinnati Watch Co or Others

Post by NeedWatch12Step »

I’m in - and yeah, I’d also like cathedral hands.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Perhaps we could replace the top text with Man On Time

Then, the bottom could just say 2020 or something of the sort? Furthermore, this could be suggestive the forum has 2020 vision when it comes to finding deals/bargains.

On the back we could have our usernames engraved?

Regardless, I would suggest a 50% upfront payment (not refundable) and the remaining 50% when the watch is ready to ship (perhaps before engraving in case of members who bail out).

Just my thoughts.

Edit: I'm not very picky, just throwing my thoughts out.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
tinpusher
MoT Member

Post by tinpusher »

I voted for the field watch but would like to see the dial be quite a bit different than their current setup. I don't want to seem like we just replaced one line of text or something simple. I'd like the watch to stand on its own feet and be similar but plenty different.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Any style's fine, as long as it has the complete specs, operations manual, and company mission statement printed in full on the dial.

In Comic Sans.
bogray57
MoT Member

Post by bogray57 »

Field watch with standard dial, cathedral hands, logo + motto (Going Broke Saving Money) on the back...maybe numbered if possible? ###/### to give it some exclusivity? Thanks CincinnatiWatchCo!
Rabirnie
MoT Member

MoT Forum Watch: Cincinnati Watch Co or Others

Post by Rabirnie »

Idea for the dial text, use MoT for the brand with the O being the clock and then on the lower half of the dial let’s use something like Legion or Ambassador or anything along those lines to distinguish the watch and the folks who help make this place so great.

Also, big fan of the cathedral hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:34 am Any style's fine, as long as it has the complete specs, operations manual, and company mission statement printed in full on the dial.

In Comic Sans.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

I voted for the pilot. I'm so sorry I missed the preorder and distribution. [mention]CincinnatiWatchCo[/mention] , I don't suppose you have any more of those in blue sitting around (even if they were demos or the like) that you'd be willing to sell? I rarely find spots in my collection for pilot watches, but holy cow this one is special. (I also think that doing the pilot LE would be cool, because I'm guessing that there aren't going to be a ton of us going in on the project, so the ~50 pc max seems about right.)

All that said It looks like the field watch is going to be the winner. While I really like the Cincinnatus, and I'm not sure a MOT-based Cincinnatus will be for me. I just have to have a date window on my watches, and I just don't end up wearing field watches. Maybe I could be persuaded, but. As others have said, I don't think there should be any obvious MoT branding on the dial, other than maybe something like "ManOnTime Edition" or "MoT Ltd. Ed." at the bottom. (The clock logo would look REALLY cool on the crown, even though I'm sure that would be an expensive upgrade.) And unless we're going pilot, I think we should do whatever it takes to keep the price below $300 USD.

If the pilot doesn't come to fruition, and you go with the field, I'll stay tuned. :)
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
IKEEPGOODTIME
MoT Member

Post by IKEEPGOODTIME »

lots of good ideas here!

one of my current favorite fielsd watch styles is this

really almost anything from the WWW era

-- Enjoy your time
IG: ikeepgoodtime
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I think that for a first ‘produced’ forum watch that having something that is customized is the right first step.

If we went full on with custom everything then we would get bogged down in details and ceaseless back and forth. There is a reason that designing by committee is a bad idea; we would need a designer on the project to make that work.

I would also be fine with a custom dial that could be put into an Invicta. Mine are good, but I have problems making them, sourcing reasonably priced blank dials and that sort of thing. I still want to try to have some dials printed on PCB, but I have a lot of stuff to do before that gets done.

A field watch is great. I would prefer non-vintage lume as it is a new watch and if the lume darkens over time, that is fine, but I would like to watch that happen. If it was very lightly vintage, that would be OK I suppose. Cathedral hands are fine with me.

I love the idea of case back engraving. CWC’s name should be on either the dial, caseback or both. Definitely want MoT logo or text on the dial someplace. Someone mentioned a custom seconds hand, which would be cool, but I am guessing costly, especially since the logo has ‘floating’ elements in its center.

This could be really cool and it is great that CWC is willing to work with us here.
........….............................

On another front, a slim high accuracy quartz field watch would be dope.
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

I like the idea of just customizing the caseback, zero extra cost and time of redesigning the dial, quick, simple, and easy. Come up with few caseback designs and then vote done.

Cincinnati hit the ball out of the park with their field watch, any they were kind enough to lend their services, custom caseback, great watch dial and then a great MOT watch.
Sporkboy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:59 am I think that for a first ‘produced’ forum watch that having something that is customized is the right first step.

If we went full on with custom everything then we would get bogged down in details and ceaseless back and forth. There is a reason that designing by committee is a bad idea; we would need a designer on the project to make that work.

I would also be fine with a custom dial that could be put into an Invicta. Mine are good, but I have problems making them, sourcing reasonably priced blank dials and that sort of thing. I still want to try to have some dials printed on PCB, but I have a lot of stuff to do before that gets done.

A field watch is great. I would prefer non-vintage lume as it is a new watch and if the lume darkens over time, that is fine, but I would like to watch that happen. If it was very lightly vintage, that would be OK I suppose. Cathedral hands are fine with me.

I love the idea of case back engraving. CWC’s name should be on either the dial, caseback or both. Definitely want MoT logo or text on the dial someplace. Someone mentioned a custom seconds hand, which would be cool, but I am guessing costly, especially since the logo has ‘floating’ elements in its center.

This could be really cool and it is great that CWC is willing to work with us here.
........….............................

On another front, a slim high accuracy quartz field watch would be dope.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

My vote is for whatever Matt Ultimately decides will be the design. He will balance pleasing the community with what is pragmatic...I have full confidence. One idea I would suggest is keeping the top text with CWC, replacing the lower text with the MoT logo (with mask?), changing the handset, and then engraving the back. Seems like it would strike a good balance. I would also go for an MoT stamped crown, but this may require minimum order and therefore be impractical.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:05 pm My vote is for whatever Matt Ultimately decides will be the design. He will balance pleasing the community with what is pragmatic...I have full confidence. One idea I would suggest is keeping the top text with CWC, replacing the lower text with the MoT logo (with mask?), changing the handset, and then engraving the back. Seems like it would strike a good balance. I would also go for an MoT stamped crown, but this may require minimum order and therefore be impractical.
I agree with all of this.
Perdendosi
MoT Member

Post by Perdendosi »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:05 pm My vote is for whatever Matt Ultimately decides will be the design. He will balance pleasing the community with what is pragmatic...I have full confidence. One idea I would suggest is keeping the top text with CWC, replacing the lower text with the MoT logo (with mask?), changing the handset, and then engraving the back. Seems like it would strike a good balance. I would also go for an MoT stamped crown, but this may require minimum order and therefore be impractical.
Since I don't particularly care for the "Cincinnatus" name, and I think it would be fun to have a memento of the COVID year, I agree with this (though, again, I'm still on the fence since I don't usually like no-date watches).
- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
Current collection:

Baume & Mercier Capeland Chrono | Alpina Startimer Heritage GMT | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Hamtun H2 Meteroite | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Nacken Renegade | Direnzo DRZ-03 "Blood Moon" | Citizen Grand Classic | Nodus Sector Field | Seiko SSA409 "Honeycomb" Star Bar **** Time | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Great White Turtle | Manchester Watch Works (RIP) Equinox All-Lume Dial | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" | Casio AE1400WH-2AV
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

What about some dial text in black like MKII does? Might be a good compromise.