Which would you buy?

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Which would you buy?

Post by watchpalooza »

I have two offers open and can only buy one. What do you guys think? I have been wanting a tuna style watch, but a top grade ETA GMT Pepsi seems pretty irresistible. I have one more day to make up my mind.

1) Tuna diver, NH35, Ceramic insert, Dagaz 55 Fathoms dial - $255
AF4A25EB-3520-464F-9535-9C71763FA808.jpeg
5DA4737A-8A2D-4CD4-B2DC-7B3B0EC7CE6B.jpeg
F9CFB11F-AF42-4B41-9757-368F02A231A2.jpeg
84FB8696-6322-4DB4-B133-8E46302BAA6E.jpeg

2) Aramar GMT Master with Top Grade ETA 2893-2, Aluminum pepsi insert - $440
4B8DBD22-5B99-4226-A987-F0180CB9F576.jpeg
E5C76292-CA09-4468-9465-853D0A3E6B65.jpeg
21DF2F32-61D3-498E-A061-EA737CC3897B.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Which would you buy?

Post by yinzburgher »

Keep in mind my answer is based on my tastes and not yours, but I would go for the GMT in this case. I understand the appeal of the Tuna but it's just not really for me. Also, I would probably go for a original unmodded Seiko Tuna if I did want one. And while I normally don't chase homages, I like that the GMT took some Tudor and Rolex elements and came up with something that isn't a 1:1 copy. It looks really well executed actually. And you're getting a 2893 for a killer price. I can't think of any other micros offering a GMT at that price. Is it too late to add a poll?

Looking up more about Aramar, it appears they work with or get some help from Grovana/RT to develop and manufacture these.

https://www.aramar.nl/en/aramar-watches/g-38
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

yinzburgher wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:46 pm Keep in mind my answer is based on my tastes and not yours, but I would go for the GMT in this case. I understand the appeal of the Tuna but it's just not really for me. Also, I would probably go for a original unmodded Seiko Tuna if I did want one. And while I normally don't chase homages, I like that the GMT took some Tudor and Rolex elements and came up with something that isn't a 1:1 copy. It looks really well executed actually. And you're getting a 2893 for a killer price. I can't think of any other micros offering a GMT at that price. Is it too late to add a poll?

Looking up more about Aramar, it appears they work with or get some help from Grovana/RT to develop and manufacture these.

Thanks for taking the time to give your input. I had the same feeling about the Tuna...if I am gonna get one, I want one that is properly Seiko misaligned. It does seem to be a pretty good deal compared to the geniune Tunas I see, though I must admit to not being any kind of Seiko expert.

Maurice (owner) offered an even better deal on the Aramar, so I went with it. Pretty excited to add a 2893 to the collection, and my first Pepsi. Adding my second Aramar in a week. Funny thing, Aramar was discussed a lot at the other place back in 2013-14 as they were starting out. Maurice’s account is now banned there. Anyway, I will do reviews for both of my new Aramar’s in the weeks ahead...and hopefully Maurice will try another KS in 2020.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

For the record I'd have done the same thing for mostly the same reasons. I'd rather have a real tuna if I'm going that route.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
quincas
MoT Member

Which would you buy?

Post by quincas »

watchpalooza wrote:
yinzburgher wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:46 pm Keep in mind my answer is based on my tastes and not yours, but I would go for the GMT in this case. I understand the appeal of the Tuna but it's just not really for me. Also, I would probably go for a original unmodded Seiko Tuna if I did want one. And while I normally don't chase homages, I like that the GMT took some Tudor and Rolex elements and came up with something that isn't a 1:1 copy. It looks really well executed actually. And you're getting a 2893 for a killer price. I can't think of any other micros offering a GMT at that price. Is it too late to add a poll?

Thanks for taking the time to give your input. I had the same feeling about the Tuna...if I am gonna get one, I want one that is properly Seiko misaligned. It does seem to be a pretty good deal compared to the geniune Tunas I see, though I must admit to not being any kind of Seiko expert.

Maurice (owner) offered an even better deal on the Aramar, so I went with it. Pretty excited to add a 2893 to the collection, and my first Pepsi. Adding my second Aramar in a week. Funny thing, Aramar was discussed a lot at the other place back in 2013-14 as they were starting out. Maurice’s account is now banned there. Anyway, I will do reviews for both of my new Aramar’s in the weeks ahead...and hopefully Maurice will try another KS in 2020.
I think that’s a good choice. 2893 at 440 is great!

That tuna has got some identity crisis going on... FFF dial in a tuna case?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

I echo everyone else's thoughts. Not a huge Tuna fan but would get an actual tuna if I did. Much bigger fan of that GMT though. Especially at that price.
Insta me: bbrou33
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I knew the answer, but just needed a nudge to justify spending more. 🤓
Click Icon To Contact Me

MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

As usual I'm way late to the party. The Aramar is what I'd go for. It looks fantastic.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody