COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Stretch44 »

My wife is a school teacher and she just received notice that her school will be closed from March 16th through April 3. The district also moved her spring break up to April 6 through April 10. Effectively she will be off for the next month. We had a trip planned to Disneyland with the kids during her spring break, but we have cancelled that. So, I won't be taking a holiday in April like I planned, but that can wait.

My office is small, we have 10 people in total. We are no longer doing in person client meetings, so everything will be by phone. I have not heard from the local Superior Court what is going to happen with hearings. I typically have a hearing or two every week. The law and motion calendar is filled with close to 100 people for each session so I assume something is going to happen.

Other than that, just the normal precautions of washing hands and personal hygiene.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Stretch44 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 pm
My office is small, we have 10 people in total. We are no longer doing in person client meetings, so everything will be by phone. I have not heard from the local Superior Court what is going to happen with hearings. I typically have a hearing or two every week. The law and motion calendar is filled with close to 100 people for each session so I assume something is going to happen.
Here, Dallas and Harris (where Houston is) counties have both continued all jury trials until at least April. I'm sure other counties will or already have followed.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Living in NYC here. The girlfriend and I were supposed to leave for a London and Amsterdam trip last night. I spent over 8 hours between Wednesday night after Trump's announcement and Thursday morning-midday on the phone trying to cancel everything. Luckily most of the money was recovered or credit was given. Just one Airbnb is up in the air so we shall see.
The streets in NYC are more quiet than usual. We just ate in Korean Town, which is usually full of people, and it was fairly empty given that most tourists are not and will not be here. Plus many are now being told to WFH so many are staying in.
My girlfriend and I both work in healthcare. Her being a nurse in a dermatologic oncology clinic and myself working in surgery, we cannot work from home. We both were off today (because of our previously schedule trip) but have given back our days off to work next week. So far business as usual in our healthcare work lives.
NYC under State of emergency but most things seem to be running as usual. Ride the subway earlier and it was more empty. Everyone being cautious about distance and touching people/hand rails. I went grocery shopping yesterday and, as in most places, TP, Lysol type products, and sanitizing things were all gone. Most of meats were being purchased and so was pasta and other popular items.
I secured enough ground turkey and stuff for a large chili. We already had a pretty good stock of noodles (perks of dating an Asian), and tuna. Plus I have a fresh giant tub of protein powder so if stuff gets really serious, we ready.

But in all actuality, many more people are probably infected than everyone realises. Very likely her and I have it, but really no way to know because we haven't shown symptoms and not everyone does. Especially in my demographic (young, healthy, active people).

Anyway, it'll be a beautiful weekend in NYC so I'll spend it in the park away from others just to be safe.

And I've thought about watches much less this past week. Only wearing one all week. So that's that.

Stay safe everyone. Wash your hands. Disinfect things. Stop eating your boogers.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Bbrou33 wrote:
Stay safe everyone. Wash your hands. Disinfect things. Stop eating your boogers.

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33
Wait, we aren’t supposed to eat our boogers? I understand not eating someone else’s boogers, and not eating your own poop, but I didn’t think that you could harm yourself eating your own boogers so long as they were fresh, just harvested specimens. Please let me know if I am mistaken here.
Rocat
MoT Member

Post by Rocat »

Here in Lexington SC across the river from where Rabirine lives the stores are bare of everything people buy in a panic. I'm slightly panicked only for the fact that I've no immune system. Or so the Doctors have told me from day one of my Kidney transplant 7 years ago. Funny enough though, my kids have gone through daycare and up to middle school without me getting sick even once since the transplant. I went to Publix to buy some hamburger to grill out tonight. They were completely out. I never thought that ground beef would end up as an emergency food item. But apparently it is. Who knew? Not I.

Talk about sports. I only watch F1 and I'm about as mad as I can be about them cancelling the races through to the end of May. I know that's selfish but Hell, that's the only sport I care about. Well that and the Tour de France. Crap! I bet that will get cancelled as well.

Speaking of a run on TP. This was my local WalMart this morning. I know people are desperate. Even the single ply TP is gone.
IMG_2507.JPG
59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

I find it hilarious that TP is such a hot commodity, so I'll just assume the hoarders think this disease causes diarrhea.

So anyone gets desperate I'll let this go for $50. [emoji1787][emoji23]Image
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

59yukon01 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:42 pm I find it hilarious that TP is such a hot commodity, so I'll just assume the hoarders think this disease causes diarrhea.

So anyone gets desperate I'll let this go for $50. [emoji1787][emoji23]Image

Sell enough of those and fund your next watch!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pmBut in all actuality, many more people are probably infected than everyone realises.
This x1000.

All we're hearing about are the confirmed cases. There are undoubtedly 1,000s or 10s of thousands (or even more) infected people that are unknown and spreading the virus to others, and that is what frightens me the most.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

I work for a data and analytics company that also has offices in Beijing and Shanghai, and based on experience over there it's been decided to keep our US offices open, but to encourage people to work remotely. All corporate travel is now nixed unless it has executive-level approval on a case by case basis.

I'm in a high-risk group, so while I actually prefer working at the office, I'll be working remote for the time being. Can't say I'm terribly disappointed to miss my 60-mile daily roundtrip commute.

And of course, people here in California are completely losing their minds about toilet paper also:

This was the aisle at my local supermarket this afternoon. Personally, I figure if worse comes to worse, I've got a lot of political junk mail that piled up before the primary. ;-)

Tap. Talk. Buy a watch. Repeat.

59yukon01
MoT Member

Post by 59yukon01 »

Had to check out Kroger to see the havoc for myself. It wasn't crowded at all, but then again neither were the shelves. Really just needed dishwasher tabs, but yes when walking by the TP & paper towel aisle they were barren.

Though I'd also pick up a couple of necessities.

Last edited by 59yukon01 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:11 pm
Bbrou33 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pmBut in all actuality, many more people are probably infected than everyone realises.
This x1000.

All we're hearing about are the confirmed cases. There are undoubtedly 1,000s or 10s of thousands (or even more) infected people that are unknown and spreading the virus to others, and that is what frightens me the most.
This is unfortunately almost undoubtedly true. This is one of the most thorough explanations I have come across:
I wish that watch were 38mm?
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

I just went through the house and counted tp rolls: 28! That, and a lot of meat, pellets and whiskey.

Let the social distancing commence.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I'm a Registered Nurse. I've worked in Intensive Care Units since 2005. I work short-term (usually weeks to months) contracts at hospitals that need to increase their staffing for any number of reasons. I work with a few companies that specialize in what they call "rapid response" or "crisis" situations. I flew out to a COVID-19 "hot spot" in California on 3/4 to start a contract that will last through 3/21. After that I'll probably move on to another one. And then another......there's just no way of knowing how it's going to play out. Starting on Day 1, I've been taking care of patients that have tested positive for COVID-19 and some that have been ruled out for the virus. Today I did not have any COVID patients, so luckily I didn't have to wear my spacesuit and PAPR. Those patients are in a seperate part of the unit. I really hope this thing doesn't ramp up exponentially. This is a hospital with the finances/resources to deal with this but I'm observing in real time how this thing can tax the staff and the resources of a hospital. Not every hospital that I've worked at over the years will be up to the task. Most will not be as prepared as this one. It worries me a little bit.

I have plenty more to say but time for sleep. I also think you might want to check out the link below for simple instructions to make your own hand sanitizer. If you can't find the real stuff at reasonable prices in stores, you might as well buy rubbing alcohol before it becomes the next thing that is no longer available.

How to Make Your Own Hand Sanitizer
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Going into battle at the local Market Basket. Opens at 7, but they let you in a little early. Picked the DW-5600 for the task.

No rubbing alcohol last week, so we shall see. Otherwise it may be time to build a still.
pdsf
MoT Member

Post by pdsf »

I wear several professional hats. I am a forensic and clinical neuropsychologist and I also work in clinical trials. Business volume and processes have been affected because some sites are canceling research visits for older folks and/or patients don't want to come in (loss of potential data is a big deal for drug trials). I work remotely so I have already been inadvertently practicing social distancing, but none of my friends want to go out and do anything so I am going crazy at home.

I have not noticed any changes at the pool but I guess if you are out at 5:30am to swim on a regular basis, you won't let a little virus get in the way. Our community center continues to operate as usual. Notices have gone out to remind people to practice good hand hygiene and remember to wipe down equipment and weights, etc., after use.

Going to the supermarket early in the morning might be a good strategy as they usually restock overnight and were still restocking left, right and center when I was there earlier. Milk, hand sanitizers and toiler paper/paper towerl, etc., were still out though.

I second [mention]yinzburgher[/mention]'s suggestion to get rubbing alcohol. It's always good to have it around anyway. But really, hand washing is key for any time, not just during times like this. I see way too many people who don't wash their hands after doing their business in the bathroom - argh.

Re Epic - used it when I worked at a hospital. I appreciated its compatbility with Dragon Dictate.

Useful Q&A from WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... th-busters