How do you feel about polishing a watch?

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.

Polish or Don't Polish

OK to polish a used, farily recent model.
42%
Don't polish a used, fairly recent model.
No votes
OK to polish a vintage watch.
17%
Don't polish a vintage watch.
42%

Total votes: 12
PetWatch
MoT Member

How do you feel about polishing a watch?

Post by PetWatch »

I think I have made up my mind on this. Polishing is fine when it comes to a used but fairly new watch in order to bring it back to a like new wearable condition. But when used crosses the undefined line into vintage, polishing detracts from its historically authentic fine aged vintage qualities, much like an aged fine wine. It is different, it is not so much valued for its like new condition, but for what it now has to offer. I would extend this to NOS (New Old Stock), which may appear brand new, but isn't. It's original, in a like new or almost like new state of preservation.

This is not to say a vintage watch shouldn't be polished or modified, those are legitimate personal preferences. It is just that it is not in an authentic, original vintage state, that I think is the most important preservation quality, definitely one of the the key qualities, most valued by collectors.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: How do you feel about polishing a watch?

Post by watchpalooza »

Great question. I think most here will agree that the general rule of thumb is not to polish vintage pieces which are acquired for the purpose of collecting. Part of this has to do with the high number of over-polished pieces where an amount of metal has been removed and altered / destroyed sharp edges, brushed finishes, etc. The other part has to do with losing some of the charm and appeal of a piece that comes from it showing signs of having had a life. From a collectible perspective, such watches are less desirable and generally less valuable. This last point depends largely on the individual piece and its story. As an example, I would never polish a field watch or a trench watch as there is a lot of value placed on their history and this is supported by their signs of wear.

That being said, it is possible to polish a watch smartly, without diminishing value...and this is where there may be more of a grey area. From light polishing to careful restoration, there are those who do this well. Even in the case of a watch obtained for collecting, smart polishing can be done without diminishing its value...Again depending on the individual piece and its story.

And finally, there is much greater freedom for watches obtained for wear/use and not solely as collectibles. Here smart polishing is more widely acceptable, even in the case of a vintage piece (still some consideration should be given to the individual piece and its story). As an example, I recently polished the watch below with a Cape Cod cloth for regular wear. Likely in doing so I have increased its sellable value. Important to note that I did so without overdoing it, making sure not to alter profile or alter any edges or finishing.
324AF11A-0307-4A73-8A2E-363FE99D2E16.jpeg
648E7DD0-DE7D-49B0-B863-F30B59BB0A2C.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

On one hand I grew up in a family of antique dealers, that side of me says to gently clean if needed, but to keep it original for the next person to decide what they want to do with it. You don’t want to remove the ‘patina’. Note that wrist cheese is not patina.

On the other hand, I have a utilitarian streak a mile wide that says it is your object and you should do with it what makes you happy. If you want a shiny watch all the time and you want to spend your time keeping it that way then knock yourself out.

If you plan on the watch being permanently in your collection, then keeping it polished adds to its story by removing the scratches. You spend time rubbing and polishing and looking at the watch. If that helps you build a relationship with that watch and your child remembers the smell of the polish while you polished your watch on the first of the month then that may be a powerful part of that watches story.

If the watch has significant resale value then as long as you know that you are reducing the value of the watch and are OK with that the. Do as you please.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

A small amount of polishing doesn't bother me. A good job will just clean up light, unnecessary distractions from the shape and design of the watch. Bad makes it look shiny, and, well, overpolished. Turns the lines and shapes into a rounded over glob.
cheddar
MoT Member

Post by cheddar »

cortman wrote:A small amount of polishing doesn't bother me. A good job will just clean up light, unnecessary distractions from the shape and design of the watch. Bad makes it look shiny, and, well, overpolished. Turns the lines and shapes into a rounded over glob.
This is kind of where I’m getting to. I use a Cape Cod occasionally to shine up a couple of my scratch-prone watches, but I always avoid the edges and really don’t like the muddled look of a scuff that’s been polished but not removed.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Forgot to mention, NEVER polish a gold plated watch, and also be careful with base metal watches. Even light polishing can damage, thin or remove altogether the plating.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

The poll question is such that I my vote is that it's OK to polish your watch. It's OK to replace a crystal, etc. I prefer to maintain the usefulness of my tools.

That said, as have others, if the watch is highly collectable, and you intend to sell it, it's probably best to leave the finish as it was when you acquired it.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

In regards to vintage, a watch may be in such an overall condition of decay, or have significant damage that makes it look like junk with little value to it, either as a piece to wear or collect. In this case a quality restoration will enhance its value.

I think watchpalooza's pics are a good example of what to me is an acceptably desirable vintage state and a clearly over polished state, which is fine for someone looking to wear it in a closer to new condition.

Polishing or not will affect its monetary value, up or down, depending on intended market and prevalent market(s) conditions at the time, which can and do vary over time. Something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk