Timex DataLink (Data Link, Data-Link) Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Timex DataLink (Data Link, Data-Link) Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

It looks like I have infected a couple members with the desire to obtain a Timex DataLink watch. Here is a thread to discuss acquisitions, programming attempts and any information we find useful about these cool and quirky digital watches from Timex.
7AA9FEF3-6AA6-422E-A0E6-AD395CDF8D21.jpeg
This watch is the DataLink 150. This model has spent time on the ISS, making it one of the most affordable space watches that you can find. This example was $9USD shipped on eBay. The DataLink line is one of the few watches approved for spaceflight by NASA. This was thanks to its ability to be programmed with a day’s worth of alarms via a computer.

This is achieved using that circle at 12, which is an optical sensor. Flashes of light from a CRT or USB LED adapter are used to send data to the watch. It is one way communication, but it is still pretty cool given that these watches came out in the mid 90’s.

These are quirky watches that some consider a very early smart watch, so this thread might be moved to the Smart Watch section.

Since CRT monitors and the USB adapters are a bit light on the ground, some have been able to reverse engineer the flashes and use Arduino microcontrollers to program their watches.
650E9E31-4E79-4BA9-ACAC-C01712E15354.jpeg
A version of the DataLink watch was released under the IronMan line and came in a handful of colors (red, yellow, orange, purple, ???). This version adds a 50-lap chronograph and 5 programmable countdown timers.

The example above was found on eBay in lightly used condition with a $15USD buy it now option.

It should be noted that the lugs on these are 19mm.
Last edited by Sporkboy on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Timex DataLink (Data Link, Data-Link) Watches

Post by MoT »

I've been wanting one for years, just finally bit and purchased one.

Here's an interesting link regarding programming: http://feryance.com/timex-datalink/
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Post by Guyinwatch »

Mine just arrived, but i haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. Glad I found this thread.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Guyinwatch wrote:Mine just arrived, but i haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. Glad I found this thread.
What model did you end up getting? I know Split-Time has the same orange one as me.

Some models have anniversary alerts (and something else), while the Ironman versions get chrono and countdown timers.
Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Post by Guyinwatch »

Here's my little guy.
20200615_151947_HDR.jpg
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

There is a really good resource for figuring out DataLink ref. #s and it is a WIS thread. There are some great catalog pictures and Lots of info about which models were used on which missions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums.wat ... ml%3famp=1
Guyinwatch
MoT Member

Post by Guyinwatch »

Sporkboy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:27 pm There is a really good resource for figuring out DataLink ref. #s and it is a WIS thread. There are some great catalog pictures and Lots of info about which models were used on which missions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums.wat ... ml%3famp=1
I'm seeing those bracelet models and its like my toes are right at the edge and I'm looking straight down into the watch abyss :shock:
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

If watches don’t float your boat, there are other devices that were compatible with the data through light system used by Timex. This includes a calculator-like Rolodex and a ‘talking electronic companion’
B8B780EF-44C2-48CC-BEB9-13BC25982D8C.jpeg
B8B780EF-44C2-48CC-BEB9-13BC25982D8C.jpeg (291.86 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
61B0863C-2EBE-4234-9852-A0461CD32FCF.jpeg
61B0863C-2EBE-4234-9852-A0461CD32FCF.jpeg (306.27 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

My DataLink is the same model as [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] 's but it not nearly as pristine. I have ordered a black and orange Timex rubber strap for it. I hope it works. If it doesn't I will keep looking and may ask for help. Mine is on a single pass nato right now, which works but doesn't quite feel right.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

B5959672-FDEA-48F6-95EA-E8A1DAD4B2C4.jpeg
If the Timex DataLink line isn’t enough 90’s for you, how about we add a beeper to the package? Timex teamed up with Motarolla to produce the Beepwear and Beepwear Pro. The pro model is also a Data Link watch.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Ahhh, this is much better! My rubber Ironman strap arrived today. I paid about $15 for this watch and it came on a well used non-original strap that I wasn't going to use. I've had this on a single pass nato since the day the watch arrived.

I am interested in the NASA history of these watches. It was very interesting to read some of the dialog from the International Space Station Expedition 1 crew regarding the use of the watches and how much they depend on them.

However, as someone who has been into running for a few years, part of me has been more interested in what timing tech used to be like. I have known that we are spoiled by what we have today. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 235 everyday. As much as I would like to upgrade, it does everything that I need and has never let me down. All that to say that I took the DataLink for a run last weekend. Without geeking out on running metrics, the number one thing that I noticed was how difficult this watch was to read while running. That isn't really a criticism...just an observation and an appreciation for what we have today. Also, the nato was going to have to go :lol:.

I didn't check all the reference numbers, etc. for this band. It does the trick. My intention is to keep an eye open for a watch in better shape.

I think the DataLink will go on a Father's Day run in the morning 8-) .

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Split-Time wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:45 pm Ahhh, this is much better! My rubber Ironman strap arrived today. I paid about $15 for this watch and it came on a well used non-original strap that I wasn't going to use. I've had this on a single pass nato since the day the watch arrived.

I am interested in the NASA history of these watches. It was very interesting to read some of the dialog from the International Space Station Expedition 1 crew regarding the use of the watches and how much they depend on them.

However, as someone who has been into running for a few years, part of me has been more interested in what timing tech used to be like. I have known that we are spoiled by what we have today. I wear a Garmin Forerunner 235 everyday. As much as I would like to upgrade, it does everything that I need and has never let me down. All that to say that I took the DataLink for a run last weekend. Without geeking out on running metrics, the number one thing that I noticed was how difficult this watch was to read while running. That isn't really a criticism...just an observation and an appreciation for what we have today. Also, the nato was going to have to go :lol:.

I didn't check all the reference numbers, etc. for this band. It does the trick. My intention is to keep an eye open for a watch in better shape.

This looks like the band for the 8-lap Iron Man. Good to know it fits this model. Did you have problems getting the band on? With the non-Iron Man Data Link I couldn’t get one of the pieces to fit.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Sporkboy wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:49 am
Split-Time wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:45 pm Ahhh, this is much better! My rubber Ironman strap arrived today. I paid about $15 for this watch and it came on a well used non-original strap that I wasn't going to use. I've had this on a single pass nato since the day the watch arrived.

This looks like the band for the 8-lap Iron Man. Good to know it fits this model. Did you have problems getting the band on? With the non-Iron Man Data Link I couldn’t get one of the pieces to fit.
No trouble at all. Fits perfect. You can see that the band has some notches. When I saw that I thought, "you should have paid more attention when you ordered," but it works just fine.