car insurance deals?

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

car insurance deals?

Post by BostonCharlie »

My car insurance went up 27% over the last year. No accidents or claims -- same old cars. My agent says it's the best deal she can find. My policy is presently with Safeco.

Any suggestions for deals on insurance? I will shop around and report if I find anything interesting.

Oh, and my home insurance went up 31% Any help there would also be appreciated, lol.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: car insurance deals?

Post by BostonCharlie »

So far, AAA and State Farm charge the same as Safeco for the same coverage. Playing with the coverage options from AAA, I could reduce my premium by 29% if I reduced my liability coverage by 80%. Not. a. deal.
TagTime
MoT Member

Post by TagTime »

For years I was with Geico and had a good deal with them. But in the last year they have gone up considerably. When they again raised the premium I got a very good quote from NJM for car and home and switched.

I think that after several years they almost force us to shop around and switch.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Allstate had been cheapest for us for a number of years. But then we had to sue them after the 2021 freeze. We're now with USAA and it's more expensive but hopefully they are not assholes if we have a claim.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Robotaz
MoT Member

car insurance deals?

Post by Robotaz »

Boourns wrote:Allstate had been cheapest for us for a number of years. But then we had to sue them after the 2021 freeze. We're now with USAA and it's more expensive but hopefully they are not assholes if we have a claim.
I had lightning hit a Spectrum cable in the yard, run into my house because Spectrum contractor did not bond service to ground, and once in the house fry everything from the back side. Surge protectors on the front end and useless.

USAA was beyond good. I believe they are by far the best with customer service, but they aren’t cheap in TN or CO so we have not had them since we left KY. In 2004-2008 timeframe Safeco was cheapest in TN and USAA was close. Moved to KY and everything doubled except Allstate. Stayed with them there.

CO for whatever reason, State Farm was cheapest and best.

Now back in TN I’m with progressive on home and auto and it was cheap to add umbrella that covers everything including watches.

Point is, until you go through one bruising rabbit hole to really figure out your state’s conditions at this moment, you’re throwing darts behind you. I just had a body shop owner say he’d get away from Progressive if possible, so my fix is apparently now only temporary.

It takes work. Good luck. And make sure a broker does the dirty work.

PSA: MAKE SURE YOUR SERVICES INTO THE HOME ARE PROPERLY BONDED TO GROUND!!!
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Geico is raising our rates 25%. As with others, no accidents, no claims, perfect history. It's just the nature of the game. I always shop around for insurance when there is even a hint of a rate hike, and I have no problem jumping ship.

It looks like a member deal through PenFed or Mrs.MoT's union will be our best bet at keeping the rates at what they currently are. If you or your significant other is a union member, or if you belong to a credit union, check out their member benefits. Insurance is usually one of them.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody