We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Post your mods here!

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Re: Post your mods here!

Post by Bbrou33 »

Mod in progress. Hands and dial on. Damn that second hand is a big ol B!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Dub Rubb wrote:I have an insert that would fit that was supposed to be gray, but I find it has a very purplish tint to it. I have to go dig it out of storage, but the purple hue was why I didnt use it. I will try to find and and capture the color in pics for you. If you like it, it's yours.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Appreciate it man!
I think I decided to switch to a smooth bezel from Murphy MFG!
But if you find the insert, I'd love to see it. May still use it

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

It's not perfect. I really messed up the case removing the brand and crown guards. Couldn't keep the file or case straight. I think I can fix the branding side but u need more coarse sandpaper.
Oh well. I look at the top all the time anyway and not the sides. Plus it gives it character!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

I like it [mention]Bbrou33[/mention]! Nice job. That will be a super versatile watch too. NATO, leather, rubber, canvas, whatever. As far as the unbranded side, you could clean it up and either polish it or brush it but you could just leave it as is too. There's nobody saying you can't have a scratched or scuffed watch. And even though the crown side isn't symmetrical with the other side, the top and bottom of that side are symmetrical so it still looks good. Enjoy it man!

Speaking of scratches and scuffs, there is a WUS member that put up a pretty cool post about how he put an aged/patina finish on his black PVD Seiko 5 SNZG17. I think the watch looks cool and the post is worth a look. I posted the aged IP full metal square in the deals thread the other day where a few people chimed in with their opinion. I resisted giving very of mine in response bc I like it to stick to deals but the truth is a really like the look of that G-Shock. I just don't think it's worth the $450 premium over the standard black finish. And of course there is the Laco Erbstück Fliegers which have been severely beat to hell by hand before they are ever purchased. I certainly won't be buying one but I still think it's kind of a cool "mod".

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/exper ... 01265.html

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Bbrou33 wrote:It's not perfect. I really messed up the case removing the brand and crown guards. Couldn't keep the file or case straight. I think I can fix the branding side but u need more coarse sandpaper.
Oh well. I look at the top all the time anyway and not the sides. Plus it gives it character!

Like Yinzburgher said, you can leave it as is for some character or easily polish it out. I would suggest using a rotary tool to speed up the process. Put the case in a vice or case holder and have at it with a sanding drum, going in the same direction. Then hand sand from 400 grit to 600 to 800 to 1000 to 1500 to 2000. Then either stop there for a nice brushed look or hit it with the polishing wheel on the rotary with a little metal polish and shine it up!

Great job, and you were very ambitious going straight into removing crown guards! Bad ass!!!

Also, really digging that handset, especially the seconds hand.

Last edited by Dub Rubb on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

I held mine in place with this thing. Case holder I believe? I dunno, but it kept it nice and stationary.ImageImageImage

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Bbrou33 wrote:It's not perfect. I really messed up the case removing the brand and crown guards. Couldn't keep the file or case straight. I think I can fix the branding side but u need more coarse sandpaper.

I love that bezel, it feels better to me than the dive bezel. I checked the Murphy Mfg site and they are currently out, so I will need to get on their list so that I can get one for my MoT 8926 mod. Thanks for posting this.
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Sporkboy wrote:

I love that bezel, it feels better to me than the dive bezel. I checked the Murphy Mfg site and they are currently out, so I will need to get on their list so that I can get one for my MoT 8926 mod. Thanks for posting this.
He's currently making a few small batches at a time. I was on the waiting list for mine for a little over a month or so. He's a great guy that makes great products and will have it shipped out quick when available

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Not a technical mod, but put my Direnzo on the WatchGecko Shaldon bracelet and didn't know where else to show it off.

20190805_212012~2.jpg
20190805_212104~2.jpg
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

TheJohnP wrote:Not a technical mod, but put my Direnzo on the WatchGecko Shaldon bracelet and didn't know where else to show it off.

20190805_212012~2.jpg
20190805_212104~2.jpg
That looks AWESOME!!! One of the few times where a straight endlink bracelet just works perfectly. Well done!! How do you like the watch? I was really tempted by these.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Dub Rubb wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:50 pm
TheJohnP wrote:Not a technical mod, but put my Direnzo on the WatchGecko Shaldon bracelet and didn't know where else to show it off.

20190805_212012~2.jpg
20190805_212104~2.jpg
That looks AWESOME!!! One of the few times where a straight endlink bracelet just works perfectly. Well done!! How do you like the watch? I was really tempted by these.

I like the Direnzo a lot.
Wears really comfortable but has a nice solid weight to it.
The concave dial keeps you interested.

Feel it wears slightly larger than the 41mm suggests, but not overly large.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post your mods here!

Post by Sporkboy »

Bbrou33 wrote:
Sporkboy wrote:

He's currently making a few small batches at a time. I was on the waiting list for mine for a little over a month or so. He's a great guy that makes great products and will have it shipped out quick when available

I contacted Dave and was able to place an order for a bezel. Very hands on in making sure the right part is selected. Seems like a really good guy. This will go onto my MoT lume dial watch. Now to source some nice black hands (and by nice I mean cheap).
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

This thread has been quiet lately. These aren't all the mods that I own but they are the three Seiko mods that I wear the most. I'm looking forward to an upcoming Invicta 8926 mod and I've also been considering using one of Sporkboy's MOT full lume dials in a Vostok rather than a Seiko or 8926......can't decide.

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

yinzburgher wrote:This thread has been quiet lately. These aren't all the mods that I own but they are the three Seiko mods that I wear the most. I'm looking forward to an upcoming Invicta 8926 mod and I've also been considering using one of Sporkboy's MOT full lume dials in a Vostok rather than a Seiko or 8926......can't decide.

I love that Dagaz explorer!! It's perfect. Here is what I have been up to lately, mod wise at least.

The gilt dial is an Alpha case with an ETA 2824-2, random bracelet(Esslinger maybe?) and some wild ass hands from One Second Closer.

The second is just a dial swap into a SARB033. Far more difficult than I expected. The movement holders are screwed into the movement and the stock dial and chapter ring come out as one piece, and are attached to each other. A little patience with an exacto got them separated, and even more patience with dial dots got the chapter ring set and aligned.
ImageImageImageImage

yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Dub Rubb wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:42 pm I love that Dagaz explorer!! It's perfect. Here is what I have been up to lately, mod wise at least.

The gilt dial is an Alpha case with an ETA 2824-2, random bracelet(Esslinger maybe?) and some wild ass hands from One Second Closer.

The second is just a dial swap into a SARB033. Far more difficult than I expected. The movement holders are screwed into the movement and the stock dial and chapter ring come out as one piece, and are attached to each other. A little patience with an exacto got them separated, and even more patience with dial dots got the chapter ring set and aligned.
ImageImageImageImage

Thanks! Both of yours look great. That handset is crazy.....I've never seen it before. And I'm a sucker for a gilt dial. I would be a little more nervous about modding an ETA but might have to give it a shot some day. And I doubt I'll ever mod my SARB033 or 035 but I like seeing what other people do with them. I think this Seiko SARB037 Datejust mod below looks interesting. Not my watch or pic.