MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: MoT's Watch Deal Forum Watches

Post by Sporkboy »

ImageImageImage
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:Also got the Nakzen Pagodas in. Confirmed sapphire crystal.

39mm case and nearly all dial coming in at 33.5mm. Applied indices came off and now I need to design something that will play well with them...

Well, it looks like I have a watch that can house an MoT dial!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:

39mm case and nearly all dial coming in at 33.5mm. Applied indices came off and now I need to design something that will play well with them...

Once I have the design tested and final, I can send you some decals. Not sure how much extra work it will be, but it could potentially be a nifty MoT watch.
Halaku
MoT Member

Post by Halaku »

Sporkboy wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:

Once I have the design tested and final, I can send you some decals. Not sure how much extra work it will be, but it could potentially be a nifty MoT watch.
I have a cpl of those too from the prime day sale ... awaiting MOT dials .. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Still struggling to get a good solid black, but I did uncover more printer settings today.

These guys are slowly starting to multiply.
Letting these run over the weekend and will try and give them away on Monday.

I am definitely not going to want to do this for more than one dial, but I started to play with lume paste.
ImageImage

Minimally, it would be time consuming. More likely it would be a nightmare to do this without a proper setup. That would be cost prohibitive at my hobby level.
Edit:
ImageImage
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

I was able to find approximately 40 dials for you in 28.5mm, and another 35 or so square and tank dials that could be interesting. I am trying to get to the post office today, but it may not happen.
Attachments
0F5EE658-F7E3-44BA-8AE2-ED7410A8277D.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:I was able to find approximately 40 dials for you in 28.5mm, and another 35 or so square and tank dials that could be interesting. I am trying to get to the post office today, but it may not happen.
That is amazing. I am not sure what I could do with the square and tank dials though. I could do some dial and lume experiments though as they are a handy size.

No rush on sending those though as I was able to get 10 x 38.5 mm dials off of Etsy thanks to a tip from Yinzburgher. This dial design is third in the queue, and I have what to get started. They will be put to good use though.

Thank you so much for your generosity.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Here is one of the Etsy dials. No registration notch at 3. Feet are about the halfway point at 4 and 8, though with no registration point I would clip the feet and dial dots would need to be used. ImageImage

Still, these should work for you brave modders out there.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

OK. First watch is in the PIF thread. The second one I am posting here. If someone wants to make MoT a donation of anything in excess of $15, then I will send this to you within the USA. Post here to reserve it and I will send it after confirmation of the donation comes through via MoT.

ImageImage
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:OK. First watch is in the PIF thread. The second one I am posting here. If someone wants to make MoT a donation of anything in excess of $15, then I will send this to you within the USA. Post here to reserve it and I will send it after confirmation of the donation comes through via MoT.

ImageImage
Great job dude! Really cool of you to do this. Right now, I am in no position to add more watches to the collection. However, once those dials come around and the perfect storm of an 8926 for under $50, I will be in. I really love all that it represents and just how cool this community is.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Thanks DR. I am happy to contribute in a way that makes sense on my end (creatively). I don’t know how many of these I will make available this way, so we will see how it goes.

These aren’t fancy watches or anything, but it is a start. The 8926 compatible dials should come together relatively quickly as I have some dials already and alignment of the decal is less of an issue since the feet have to come off anyway. The material cost and shipping are also insignificant compared to even the base Nixon that I used. That means that I can ship more of these more easily to those that do mods. Those might be available on a donate what you like model.

I am guessing that this will be a black dial only unless I hear people wanting white or some other color. As a long term dream, I would like to do a full lume dial. This would require
1. Sourcing some clear water slide decal sheets that would work well with a laser printer.
2. Laying down an even and thin layer of lume. The lume can be pretty thin and self levels, but it is a pretty distinct color that may not jive with most people. There is a blue tinted lume by the same company that I may try some day.

I would like to have a lumed indices version available, but being able to do that isn’t working out yet. I do have lume powder that I could provide in small quantities to those that wanted to mix their own paste and take a crack at it, but I don’t think many would take me up on that offer as the time it takes to get good at it is non-trivial.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Somehow this looks way more black in the picture than I’m real life. I would be happy if it was actually this black. One more thing to try before settling on black enough.

ImageImage

Rough 32.5mm MoT dial and glow blank along with a primed 8926 dial.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

[mention]Sporkboy[/mention], a few things. First, the finished white dial watches look absolutely dynamite, well done. Next, +1 for a full lume dial, especially at 28.5mm. Also, excuse my ignorance on this bc I'm not up to speed 100% on your process for printing dial decals. But are you able to easily upsize or downsize the decal to fit any size watch? I ask bc I really want to try to find a 38 or 40mm no date quartz Mondaine to mod with one of your white MoT dials. I really think that dial and handset would look 🔥🔥🔥 together. I also found some cheap $20 homages but the hands aren't real thick like the Mondaine. Let me know what you think.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

yinzburgher wrote:[mention]Sporkboy[/mention], a few things. First, the finished white dial watches look absolutely dynamite, well done. Next, +1 for a full lume dial, especially at 28.5mm. Also, excuse my ignorance on this bc I'm not up to speed 100% on your process for printing dial decals. But are you able to easily upsize or downsize the decal to fit any size watch? I ask bc I really want to try to find a 38 or 40mm no date quartz Mondaine to mod with one of your white MoT dials. I really think that dial and handset would look [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91] together. I also found some cheap $20 homages but the hands aren't real thick like the Mondaine. Let me know what you think.
I am glad that you like the dial. I think that the main problem is the handset. I went through designing the dial with the Expedition I as inspiration and ended up with something closer to a Sinn without knowing it. Maybe a similar handset might work.

ImageImage
Any full lume dial would need to be for an automatic watch as quartz tends not to have clearance for the added height of the lume. 28.5mm are the only dials I have a current angle on/demand for, so that is the size that they would be. It also fits my Invicta, so there is that as well.

I can easily scale the design up or down, so if you find a homage and a handset that you like then I can provide the decal for you. I had an automatic homage a while back, but it had a date and the second hand wasn’t quite right. You will probably need to source the handset apart from the watch. Since you would need to take the hands off anyway, it could be the right opportunity to put on some more appropriate hands.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Put this one together and it is looking pretty good.

I did some comparisons with my sloppy dial lume (bubbles and no base coat) against Lorus Lumibrite. Not too far off there, so it is promising. If the clearance is good then it just might work.

Just for fun I slapped on a decal over this. It blocked a bit of light, but not as much as I had feared. It also charges through the decal!

Ideally the clear decals are the way to go, but...