As a reminder, even though MoT's is a free site, we do rely on and accept donations to keep the lights on. These are completely voluntary and there is no obligation. Any donations go directly towards site operations and are greatly appreciated. Click here to donate today.
After the order was made, I emailed Alex Lee on stating a lower value for customs purposes if possible when shipping. He attached an invoice value of USD 30 and I was not charged by customs. A few days after that I emailed to ask on the size of taper at the deployant buckle. 24 hours later and without a response, I emailed again to which he promptly replied. It is 20mm at the lugs, tapering to 18mm at the buckle. He also mentioned that he's run out of the watch box and will be sending that in a few weeks after sending the watch. I will update thIs post when it arrives.
He also posted a short instruction manual on using the watch in the email.
The instructions are as follows:
2 positions of the crown, 1 & 2
position 1 - winding position
position 2 - Hour/ Minute Hands setting (no stop seconds feature)
The Regulator R-01/02’s movement caliber (ST1711) the Hour hand is driven indirectly. When the Hour/Minute hands are setting/adjusting backwards, the Hour hand will appear to be losing 15-20 minutes, but just within 10 minutes later the Hour hand will resume its proper order. To avoid such discrepancy appearance, it is recommended to set the time in clockwise direction."
The watch arrived well packed with bubble wrap and plenty of blue stickers on the case and buckle to avoid scratches but in a plastic food container. Yes not pretty but works. A warranty card is included too. The caseback has simple Geneva stripes with the PerpetuaL logo on it with similar logo on crown. I think that's a nice touch. The leather strap is of decent quality and thickness so doesn't feel cheap. It is imprinted with "Perpetual" and "Cuir Veritable" text on the underside. I will be taking it to a watch shop to get the buckle positioned better for my wrist .I couldn't figure that out.
As this is my first regulator watch, reading the time took a while. 10mins before the hour, the hour hand is dead center on the hour mark till about 1 or 2 mins past the hour when it moves slightly beyond it. Another quirk is at 1.01, 2.05 etc when the hour and minute hand overlap. As a dress watch it's gorgeous but it does make you appreciate regular dial/digital watches for ease of reading time. I'm sure I will get used to it soon enough.
The star of the show of course is the beautiful cream dial. As this is also my first watch with a chinese movement so will see the accuracy in next few days. Overall happy with purchase so far. Some pictures posted below.
A few negatives on the watch:
1. The supplied strap is short on my 7in wrist as it's listed as 75/115mm on the site. If watch is worn slightly tighter, the butterfly clasp pins do bite into the wrist.
2. Winding the crown is smooth, however there is noise which sounds to me very much like winding up a spring. I also would have liked the onion crown to have been a little bit bigger.
3. The rotor is slightly noisy when the watch is shaken. Using this video as reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a92gdLlsjfs it's between Rodina and Ik Coloring. That would be the 2nd and 3rd watch in the video.
4. There is a grey/white plastic shroud holding the entire movement surrounding the case if you view the caseback through an angle. It would have been better if was painted black perhaps.
Pictures on issues above attached below.
- IMG_20190517_214805.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 471 times
- IMG_20190517_213243.jpg (14.16 KiB) Viewed 471 times
- IMG_20190517_213119.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 471 times
- IMG_20190517_213022.jpg (8.75 KiB) Viewed 471 times
"The boxes aren't acquired yet.The primary purpose of the box is to secure & protect the watch for the shipping.Could I offer you an alternate option ? US$10.00 refund (via PayPal).to conclude your order."
I've asked for an ETA instead of a refund so will update this thread when I receive a reply.