We're Moving!

Click for more info.

The Asbestos Outhouse

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

The Asbestos Outhouse

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Your official containment box to gripe, bitch, flame, mope, rant, vent yer spleen, and really let it all out.

I'll start things off with a flipping of the double bird, punctuated with emphatic swells and swoops like a conductor on acid fighting a swarm of particularly grumpy yellowjackets, directed at Mot for his concerted effort to drive us all to living on the filth of the streets with nothing but a cardboard box and a pile of the finest Swiss and Oriental technology to keep us warm!
MoT
Site Admin

Re: The Asbestos Outhouse

Post by MoT »

Fun idea for a thread. As long as we follow the Forum Guidelines, have at it.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I started going to the gym a few months ago. I've lost weight and gained muscle, but I still get winded going up the stairs (granted, two at a time, but still). If anything, I'm more winded than before. Like, dude. (Sorry, not enough energy for good spleen atm, lol.)
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

We humans have not changed at all in at least 2500 years. Dip into Livy's History of Rome and you'll recognize the people and events -- they are the same as today's. It's uncanny. And it's not the author reinterpreting things -- he was a Roman citizen during the early empire. We live longer; we have more luxuries (air conditioning!); poverty and disease are in overall decline. But, as humans, we are essentially unchanged. That isn't what bugs me. What stuns me is that we mistake material progress for human progress. News flash: 5G is not going to elevate humanity. It will just give us new and faster ways to fritter away our short time on this planet.
deckeda
MoT Member

Post by deckeda »

MAAHHH THE FRENCH! wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 pm Your official containment box to gripe, bitch, flame, mope, rant, vent yer spleen, and really let it all out.

I'll start things off with a flipping of the double bird, punctuated with emphatic swells and swoops like a conductor on acid fighting a swarm of particularly grumpy yellowjackets, directed at Mot for his concerted effort to drive us all to living on the filth of the streets with nothing but a cardboard box and a pile of the finest Swiss and Oriental technology to keep us warm!
Apropos of nothing, here are the two VigLink links for "double bird" and "cardboard box." I mean, I just had to know, you know? No?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cardboard%2B ... nkCode=ur2

I don't know why I posted this, and so therefore, have created my own "WTF was that?" scenario. You're welcome.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Quartz is a nasty mistress (apologies to Heinlein). (Updated. Previous pinup watch here.)

MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

deckeda wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:28 pm Apropos of nothing, here are the two VigLink links for "double bird" and "cardboard box." I mean, I just had to know, you know? No?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cardboard%2B ... nkCode=ur2

I don't know why I posted this, and so therefore, have created my own "WTF was that?" scenario. You're welcome.
Congrats! Your post has earned you the award of a pair of great tits!
► Show Spoiler
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Robinhood can f****** burn.....

PSA: If you use the platform, please consider removing your money and closing your account.

If you have recommendations for other trading apps (with emphasis on ease of use) please PM me.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:47 pm Robinhood can f****** burn.....

PSA: If you use the platform, please consider removing your money and closing your account.

If you have recommendations for other trading apps (with emphasis on ease of use) please PM me.
Add pretty much all the retail trading apps to that list. :evil:
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Dogs vs. Cats. (Don't shoot the messenger: I don't have a dog in the race. ;) ) (source here -- paywall)
If you’re a heterosexual man looking for love this Valentine’s Day, here’s something you probably don’t want to do: include a cat in your online dating profile.

“Chicks don’t want a guy with a cat,” said Rachel DeAlto, chief dating expert for Match, an online service that promises to connect compatible romantic partners.

In the U.S., straight men who reveal on the website that they own a cat have a 5% lower “like” rate on average compared with other straight men, and straight women who have a cat have a “like” rate that’s 7% lower than their peers, according to a spokeswoman for the company.

But cats aren’t a turnoff for everyone.

The “like” rate for gay men who divulge they own a cat is 5% higher.

It’s possible that other traits revealed in dating profiles are responsible for the lagging appeal of heterosexual cat owners. But studies suggest the problem is the pet.

Whether the women saw the cat photo first or second was randomized, but regardless of the order, the man photographed with a cat was viewed as less masculine, more neurotic and, ultimately, less datable.
In another study:

Few of either sex reported that a relationship couldn’t work with a “dog person.” But a higher fraction of women than men said a relationship couldn’t work with a “cat person.”

“Dogs are winning,” Ms. DeAlto said, a conclusion also supported by Match’s data. The “like” rate for both straight and gay men who have dogs is 20% higher on average, and the “like” rate for women is 3% higher.

And again:
A French study published by Anthrozoös in 2008 provides further support. In an experiment, 240 women ranging in age from approximately 18 to 25 were approached on the street by a handsome 20-year-old man (sometimes with a dog) who asked for their phone numbers. ...

When the man was alone, he retrieved numbers from about 9% of the women he approached. But when he was accompanied by the dog, he got three times as many.

The researchers cautioned that women might not find every dog equally fetching.
sarbmaster

Post by sarbmaster »

ManOnTime wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:35 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:47 pm Robinhood can f****** burn.....

Add pretty much all the retail trading apps to that list. :evil:
Maybe... but Robinhood really makes the 'users' the product. Schwab/Ameritrade might make something like $1 on a transaction that Robinhood would get paid $20 from Citadel Securities for the privilege of executing the trade as they see fit.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I propose a new word be added to the English language: ectcetera. It can be used to preface a statement in lieu of the usual introductory verbiage. It has the added benefit of having the abbreviation ect., saving people who accidentally use ect. for etc. some embarrassment.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Found a Bulova A-15 on Craigslist for a great price of $150. The guy accepts my offer of $125. I am in Dallas, and he lives in Arlington (where the Cowboys play) about 30 min from my office. I ask him if Venmo is OK. He says no I don't have any of the apps. OK, fine, I will get cash.

I ask him if he can meet me at the intersection of X and Y Road, which is 5 minutes from his house. "No, you will have to come here." Literally his house. I say sorry, but I only do Craigslist deals somewhere public. If you can't meet me somewhere I will have to pass. Sorry to waste your time. He says I'm not driving to Dallas to sell a watch.

WTF! I asked him to drive 5 minutes from his house, not all the way to Dallas. I ended up not responding because I now have the icky feeling. But I am annoyed because it was a great deal.

Rant over.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Boourns wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:47 pm Found a Bulova A-15 on Craigslist for a great price of $150. The guy accepts my offer of $125. I am in Dallas, and he lives in Arlington (where the Cowboys play) about 30 min from my office. I ask him if Venmo is OK. He says no I don't have any of the apps. OK, fine, I will get cash.

I ask him if he can meet me at the intersection of X and Y Road, which is 5 minutes from his house. "No, you will have to come here." Literally his house. I say sorry, but I only do Craigslist deals somewhere public. If you can't meet me somewhere I will have to pass. Sorry to waste your time. He says I'm not driving to Dallas to sell a watch.

WTF! I asked him to drive 5 minutes from his house, not all the way to Dallas. I ended up not responding because I now have the icky feeling. But I am annoyed because it was a great deal.

Rant over.
That is crappy. I grew up in Plano and lived in Addison…know the area around DFW well. No excuse for not meeting you somewhere neutral…hell, even the parking lot of the old Frye’s Electronics. It was either a setup (jump and take cash, force ATM withdrawal, etc) or he’s just a difficult Curmudgeon. Either way, worked out for the best.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr