We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by yinzburgher »

cel4145 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:36 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:54 pm
cel4145 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:08 am Reached agreement for a used watch for $450 (on another forum) where the seller would ship to me via USPS.

Get the tracking number. The seller used Media Mail with tracking.

Granted, I did not specify which USPS service to use in our negotiations. Although, I'm certain the USPS does not consider watches media.

It's kind of disappointing because I thought it would be here this week. And then since media mail is assumed to be books or CDs by the post office, and it travels as slow as possible, I worry about having an automatic movement watch tossed around even more than in Priority Mail or First Class. It would be different if it were a G-Shock (lol).

But most important, it seems so cheap for a $450 watch sale. It does not make me feel quite as good about the seller as I did through our initial communication.
It's a hobby, shared by a relatively small group. Yet this person is so cheap and petty they're willing to screw you over to save a dollar or two. I'd rip them a new one in any review. Clearly they have no respect for others.
Nope. I was wrong. My mistake. I got tracking numbers mixed up. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Actually, the sender supposedly did use priority mail and supposedly mailed it on Monday. But USPS doesn't show any record of receiving it. He says he handed it off to the person in the post office on Monday. But it's not in the system. So I have a different problem.
I hope you hear something soon. One story being on the other side of this scenario..... Around this time last year, I sold about 5 or 6 watches. I handed them all to the guy at the post office bc I already had my receipts and tracking numbers and everything from USPS pack and ship. All but one of the packages were entered into the system and showed as shipped and on their way by the next day. I really stressed out about the one that didn't and promised the seller I would follow up. I thought "****, this dude probably thinks I'm trying to pull a fast one on him." I called the post office one day and showed up in person the next day. They just told me both times that things are crazy around the holidays and I have to be patient. No more updates. Then a few days later the package just showed up at the buyer's place and all of the notification texts for the USPS shipping updates blew up my phone all at once. Hopefully all that happened was that your package never got scanned into the system and it gets resolved soon. Apparently that sort of thing happens fairly often and it's not very fun being on either end of it. Also, good to see you back here.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

yinzburgher wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:55 am
cel4145 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:36 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:54 pm

It's a hobby, shared by a relatively small group. Yet this person is so cheap and petty they're willing to screw you over to save a dollar or two. I'd rip them a new one in any review. Clearly they have no respect for others.
Nope. I was wrong. My mistake. I got tracking numbers mixed up. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Actually, the sender supposedly did use priority mail and supposedly mailed it on Monday. But USPS doesn't show any record of receiving it. He says he handed it off to the person in the post office on Monday. But it's not in the system. So I have a different problem.
I hope you hear something soon. One story being on the other side of this scenario..... Around this time last year, I sold about 5 or 6 watches. I handed them all to the guy at the post office bc I already had my receipts and tracking numbers and everything from USPS pack and ship. All but one of the packages were entered into the system and showed as shipped and on their way by the next day. I really stressed out about the one that didn't and promised the seller I would follow up. I thought "****, this dude probably thinks I'm trying to pull a fast one on him." I called the post office one day and showed up in person the next day. They just told me both times that things are crazy around the holidays and I have to be patient. No more updates. Then a few days later the package just showed up at the buyer's place and all of the notification texts for the USPS shipping updates blew up my phone all at once. Hopefully all that happened was that your package never got scanned into the system and it gets resolved soon. Apparently that sort of thing happens fairly often and it's not very fun being on either end of it. Also, good to see you back here.
I figure the odds are that the watch will show up, that the dude did ship it. I paid PayPal G&S, so I'm covered anyway. But would be disappointed if I didn't get the watch.

I'm always wary of this happening myself. So any larger ticket items, I take to the counter and have them scan it in.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Having to polish out scratches from the INSIDE of the watch crystal (welcome to vintage)...
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

watchpalooza wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:37 am Having to polish out scratches from the INSIDE of the watch crystal (welcome to vintage)...
How does that even happen?
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

My wife and I re-did our closet with the Pax system at IKEA in brown ash last year. I went on IKEA to purchase some extra shelves, but found out they discontinued that color! Wtf?! Apparently they still sell it in Malaysia. Rant over.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

I think the Internet would be way better off without the passive-aggressive people I see on other sites (not here).

For example, someone yesterday who jumped into a discussion on another forum. Asked a question in such a way that it was clearly bait. He planned on attacking whatever I said. Rather than simply stating their opposition to what I had said and having a disagreement.

I'm fine with heated discussions. I think one or both parties can sometimes learn something. But the people who are antagonistic, but pretend not to be, are just toxic for social media discussions.

As for MoT, it's one of the better forums I've ever participated in. Everyone shows everyone a certain degree of respect.

And I think everyone here can admit when they are wrong or when they are sorry. I don't always do it when I should on a forum. But there are forums where you know people are incapable (or always unwilling) to concede a good point by an opponent in a discussion, will never admit when they post something that is blatantly wrong, or will not apologize for being out of bounds in how they treated someone. It's too bad this level of civility isn't everywhere online.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Stretch44 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:06 pm My wife and I re-did our closet with the Pax system at IKEA in brown ash last year. I went on IKEA to purchase some extra shelves, but found out they discontinued that color! Wtf?! Apparently they still sell it in Malaysia. Rant over.
We are in process of buying a PAX here, and were told the brown ash is coming back next year in April...not sure if only here in Germany, or if it applies also to the accessories (it should). But you may want to check.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:40 pm
Stretch44 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:06 pm My wife and I re-did our closet with the Pax system at IKEA in brown ash last year. I went on IKEA to purchase some extra shelves, but found out they discontinued that color! Wtf?! Apparently they still sell it in Malaysia. Rant over.
We are in process of buying a PAX here, and were told the brown ash is coming back next year in April...not sure if only here in Germany, or if it applies also to the accessories (it should). But you may want to check.
Thanks. I just ordered a glass shelf for what I wanted to do and actually think it'll work out really well. The PAX system is great, the quality is definitely above the price. You should get the big cabinet and fill it with your hundreds of watches! The pullout drawers are perfect for watches. I have a single pullout drawer with my custom build and love it!
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Stretch44 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:40 pm
Thanks. I just ordered a glass shelf for what I wanted to do and actually think it'll work out really well. The PAX system is great, the quality is definitely above the price. You should get the big cabinet and fill it with your hundreds of watches! The pullout drawers are perfect for watches. I have a single pullout drawer with my custom build and love it!
Have definitely thought about it....but unfortunately watches are not my only obsession, so that space is taken. I also want to be able to see all of them at once when deciding what to wear, vs opening drawers...a crazy notion ik, but what can I say. I am awaiting a lift on the covid restrictions (now Feb earliest) to buy the materials to begin building a suitable wall unit with room for 300ish watches.
Click Icon To Contact Me

flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

I paid a not-insignificant amount of money for a professional resume writer to comb over my resume and make it spiffy, plus write a cover letter. I paid extra for the "express" service with a 48 hour turn around time. It's now been 72+ hours, and so far no reply about when I'll be getting the first draft.

Scruffy believes in this forum
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Update: they did finally return the first draft and its garbage. The resume writer obviously has no experience concerning what's important to highlight in my field. Asking for a refund and if they dont offer one I'm gonna ask my credit card company to cancel the charge because they advertised a guarantee that someone with expert understanding of any chosen field will work on it and I basically got someone who I dont think English is even their first language. Well, you live and you learn!
Scruffy believes in this forum
Sussa
MoT Member

Post by Sussa »

Today I received an email from eBay stating I have until Feb. 14 to sign up for managed payments. Being the proactive person I am, I sign up today. I'm rewarded by an immediate notification that my lone active listing, a silver coin proof, has been removed because it's not compliant with managed payments. I do a little research and find that I need to flag it as ungraded. Nope, still can't relist. Do a little more research and find that selling coins is not currently allowed when using managed payments. But maybe they'll allow it in the future. Can I turn off managed payments and use Paypal for this listing until Feb 14? Nope.

There was no warning at all that there are items allowed by eBay that are not allowed under managed payments. I'm not a big coin seller, but did have some that I was going to list soon. And maybe eBay could've checked my sales and listing history to give me a heads up that items I had sold or was currently selling were restricted? I work in customer experience and stuff like this really bothers me. They did not consider the customer at all in this rollout.

For anyone else who uses eBay and has not yet switched over to managed payments, here's a list of restricted items:
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/sell ... cy?id=5009
WhaleTail
MoT Member

Post by WhaleTail »

On the recent CW sale, I instinctively used AUD just like I did with my prior purchases, only to realize that using USD could have saved me $53.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aka: Watchout on WUS.
cel4145
MoT Member

Post by cel4145 »

People who do watch unboxing videos and then take what seems like forever to hold the watch still for a significant length of time. Like this one

lol
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

cel4145 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:22 pm People who do watch unboxing videos and then take what seems like forever to hold the watch still for a significant length of time. Like this one

lol
My favorite is when the watch is a chronograph and they never show the chronograph function.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody