We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Complaint of the Day

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: Complaint of the Day

Post by MoT »

watchpalooza wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm
ManOnTime wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:06 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:43 pm Why are are software companies always messing with their interfaces? If it works, just. leave. it. alone.

Another thing. I am a longtime Ubuntu Linux user. I tried version 18 -- it was okay but buggy. Version 20 is quite buggy and their new UI is very difficult to use. Guess I'll see what Debian is up to these days. Last time I used Debian there was always a way to get what you wanted if you were willing to mess with it enough.

I just loaded Ubuntu Desktop 20.x as a virtual machine.

Good grief. The UI looks similar to how it has for a few years now, but yeah, bug city.
Running gnome? Have u tried KDE?
Old school Gnome user, but these days I like Cinnamon or Xfce.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

ManOnTime wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:57 pm

Good grief. The UI looks similar to how it has for a few years now, but yeah, bug city.
Old school Gnome user, but these days I like Cinnamon or Xfce.
Mint...xfce was too minimalist for me, and if I really wanted to go light I would prefer LXDE anyway. Cinnamon when I used it was not optimized and too buggy. But great thing about Linux is you don’t have to choose, and there are a lot of flavors to suit anyone’s preferences.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

BostonCharlie wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:43 pm Why are are software companies always messing with their interfaces? If it works, just. leave. it. alone.

Another thing. I am a longtime Ubuntu Linux user. I tried version 18 -- it was okay but buggy. Version 20 is quite buggy and their new UI is very difficult to use. Guess I'll see what Debian is up to these days. Last time I used Debian there was always a way to get what you wanted if you were willing to mess with it enough.

Yes, the default Ubuntu/gnome. I'll check out kubuntu, but I'll also cast around a little just to see what's been going on out there. Long ago I used Debian and Xfce. It's been awhile since I compiled a kernel :)
baldrick
MoT Member

Post by baldrick »

Complaint(s)of the day: import duty and VAT being charged on a second-hand item. OK, fine, maybe.

But then duties and VAT calculated and charged not just on the value of the item, but also the shipping cost and insurance cost (bought and taxed in another country) as well.

Oh, and then the additional admin charge tacked on for good measure.

And then the additional delivery charge to get it to my door.

Just got spanked for over 25% of the price i paid for the watch.

Grr.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Today, I hate our judicial system. Ridiculous.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

High-end watches with plastic inserts. Have seen too many vintage watches where these have gone brittle, cracked or crumbled. No watch with a plastic insert will be a reliable heirloom. Was extremely disappointed when I adjusted my Ball ;) …to find that Ball uses these. Much prefer a metal insert that will last multiple lifetimes.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
HonestWatchReviews
MoT Member

Post by HonestWatchReviews »

Alright guys, so I'm new to the forum. I recently got banned from WUS, after being an active member there for years. Due to running into a trigger happy mod.

So I was looking for alternatives and got recommend this one. I started chatting to Matt on Instagram and now here I am.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

HonestWatchReviews wrote:Alright guys, so I'm new to the forum. I recently got banned from WUS, after being an active member there for years. Due to running into a trigger happy mod.

So I was looking for alternatives and got recommend this one. I started chatting to Matt on Instagram and now here I am.

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

HonestWatchReviews wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:12 am Alright guys, so I'm new to the forum. I recently got banned from WUS, after being an active member there for years. Due to running into a trigger happy mod.

And please share your watch reviews here too!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
HonestWatchReviews
MoT Member

TheJohnP wrote:
HonestWatchReviews wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:12 am Alright guys, so I'm new to the forum. I recently got banned from WUS, after being an active member there for years. Due to running into a trigger happy mod.

And please share your watch reviews here too!
Well it's funny that mention that. I was talking to a Matt about setting up a thread similar to the 'Best of AliExpress' one on WUS. As I mainly review AliExpress watches, as well as microbrands.

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Welcome, I think you'll like it here. Where did the recommendation come from, might I ask?
HonestWatchReviews
MoT Member

Stretch44 wrote:

Welcome, I think you'll like it here. Where did the recommendation come from, might I ask?
It was from 'alihomages'. At least that's what he goes by on Reddit and Instagram anyway.

AndroidIsAwesome
MoT Member

Post by AndroidIsAwesome »

HonestWatchReviews wrote:Alright guys, so I'm new to the forum. I recently got banned from WUS, after being an active member there for years. Due to running into a trigger happy mod.

Welcome to the club, WUS mods suck to be honest. Many of us have been banned there as well. This place is much nicer, and the discord as well.
Follow my new watch Instagram page @Loupehole
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

AndroidIsAwesome wrote:

Welcome to the club, WUS mods suck to be honest. Many of us have been banned there as well. This place is much nicer, and the discord as well.
The WUS mods carry a heavy load. The volumes are incredible. I wouldn’t do it for any amount of money. You’ll end up like Stuffler before it’s all said and done. lol
HonestWatchReviews
MoT Member

Robotaz wrote:
AndroidIsAwesome wrote:

The WUS mods carry a heavy load. The volumes are incredible. I wouldn’t do it for any amount of money. You’ll end up like Stuffler before it’s all said and done. lol
I can imagine It's a pretty difficult job to do. But at least have a civil conversation with someone, before you ban them. It's not like I was new to the form and not contributing and just spamming links to my videos. I'd be active on there since 2018 (before I started my YouTube channel). I always tried to help people, if possible. Yes, sometimes that included linking to my videos. But it was useful information on watches people were looking to buy.