We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Dub Rubb »

Bbrou33 wrote:Flying for the first time since Jan 2020. Going home to see my family in Louisiana and hopefully meet my son to be here nephew!
Honestly I booked and cancelled a few trips last year back to Louisiana because I just didn't feel safe. Didn't feel safe going to Louisiana and didn't feel safe working on healthcare then traveling then seeing my family and parents. But now that I'm vaccinated it's seriously been a weight lifted off my shoulders.
My mom received her first dose 2 days ago and my grandmother got her second yesterday. A few other family members also have theirs so it's even more of a relief.
Anyway just wanted to report here how excited I am and how much I'm looking forward to returning to normalcy.
Stay healthy everyone!

Oh and the watch I'm wearing for my flight!
20210402_053504.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Son to be nephew?!? Is this the Louisiana showing?!?

"Son. I'd like you to meet Uncle Daddy Brett!!"

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

"... anyone who shows their COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card will receive a free Original Glazed® doughnut."

https://krispykreme.com/promos/vaccineoffer
Thrax
MoT Member

Post by Thrax »

Received my second Pfizer dose yesterday. Feeling fine after 24H. Some light soreness at the injection site. Scheduled some real get-togethers with other vaccinated people in May when we're all 2nd dosed and have given it 2-3W to reach full immune system efficacy.

We're not out of the woods, yet, but I have a bit of normalcy again with other vaccinated people.
tommy_boy
MoT Member

Post by tommy_boy »

Yep, over 24 hours post-stab for me. No issues other than a slightly sore arm, which is less sore than after shot #1.

Things are rolling along now, it seems: Wifey got #1 a few days back. Her sister and nephew get #1 today.
Just my $0.02 USD as always.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

I got my 2nd Pfizer shot this morning and so far I just have a sore arm. Much respect and appreciation to the Allen FD and the City of Frisco (and their FD) for running such smooth vaccination clinics. Same for the volunteers and the National Guard troops (at the Frisco clinic today) who made it all work. You are all amazing.

I look forward to my next blood donation to see if my COVID antibody test is positive -- I would worry if it was negative. It will also be interesting to follow these test results over time to see how long the antibodies last. Assuming they keep testing for them. I figure they test for them only so that the donation (and its antibodies) might be used as a therapeutic.

Update to add that the day of my shot I was fine, just muscle aches. Day 1 after my shot I was lethargic all day -- no fever, just: work, nap, repeat. Day 2 after the shot I feel fine.
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Did a 90-minute round trip to get my second Moderna shot. All OK so far.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Funny example of how small sample sizes can skew things. Looking at the new case heatmap here, I wondered about the new hotspots in the Texas panhandle. For example, Hutchinson County says 175 per 100k people, which is crazy high compared to other counties. Turns out the population of Hutchinson County is 22,150 per Wikipedia, so that's about 39 average new daily cases. Meanwhile Dallas county seems to have about 264 average new daily cases (10 per 100k people).

Guess we know now where those panhandle folks go for spring break ;-)

Stay well y'all.

virus_map.jpg
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:21 pm Funny example of how small sample sizes can skew things. Looking at the new case heatmap here, I wondered about the new hotspots in the Texas panhandle. For example, Hutchinson County says 175 per 100k people, which is crazy high compared to other counties. Turns out the population of Hutchinson County is 22,150 per Wikipedia, so that's about 39 average new daily cases. Meanwhile Dallas county seems to have about 264 average new daily cases (10 per 100k people).

Stay well y'all.

virus_map.jpg
Lower Michigan is on fire. 😟
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

yinzburgher wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:21 pm Funny example of how small sample sizes can skew things. Looking at the new case heatmap here, I wondered about the new hotspots in the Texas panhandle. For example, Hutchinson County says 175 per 100k people, which is crazy high compared to other counties. Turns out the population of Hutchinson County is 22,150 per Wikipedia, so that's about 39 average new daily cases. Meanwhile Dallas county seems to have about 264 average new daily cases (10 per 100k people).

Stay well y'all.

virus_map.jpg
What makes it more puzzling is that the stats show them ahead of other states in vaccinations. 23.1% of MI is fully vaccinated vs. TX which is 19.9%. But MI is averaging 74 new daily cases per 100k vs. TX which is 12. Could it be the Spring Break surge people were predicting? Or maybe MI tests more aggressively?
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:44 pm
yinzburgher wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Stay well y'all.

virus_map.jpg
What makes it more puzzling is that the stats show them ahead of other states in vaccinations. 23.1% of MI is fully vaccinated vs. TX which is 19.9%. But MI is averaging 74 new daily cases per 100k vs. TX which is 12. Could it be the Spring Break surge people were predicting? Or maybe MI tests more aggressively?
I'm afraid it likely has more to due with the prevalence of the B117 variant in Michigan. I was initially thinking that the P1 variant out of Brazil might be the most concerning variant for the U.S. because it looks to be more likely to slip by the vaccines. But it's starting to look more clear that this B117 out of the UK will be the biggest and most immediate problem for us. If non-vaccinated people are out there breathing in each other's air, all the numbers are gonna head back up again. Total cases will probably differ depending on testing but the number of hospitalizations and deaths shouldn't be affected much by testing strategy. I think the only consolation here might be that a lot of the highest-risk individuals should already be vaccinated at this point.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/314 ... ffs-june-1

Okay, 1 Canadian team in the 3rd round of the NHL playoffs will have to commit themselves to multiple rounds of cross border travel. At the moment under current restrictions it's impossible.

So, what this means is Canada will either allow it OR the Canadian team will play entirely in the United States.

------

How I see it.

no Canadian is allowed to attend Canadian home games. So the risk would come to employees of  Canadian teams on a private jet flight during cross border travel. Realistically if you're in that situation you're probably going to be in similiar close contact situations with these people at other times. This is an extreme argument.

The other is the players not quarantining after exposure to the opposing team. Okay, well reality says the playoff games are going to be played in Canada or not. The point is moot the players are going to be exposed to the opposing team no matter what.

Also, any debate on airport employees is garbage. It's their job and they've been at it during the entire pandemic.

So, yes I think Canada should allow cross border travel for their NHL team during round 3 of the playoffs and maybe past that if they survive.

Let me know if you view the matter differently for some reason.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Here in my little corner of New Jersey COVID cases have dropped to the lowest level in many months. Also, it seems that vaccines are available at the township health center on a walk-in basis.

Let's hope the down trend continues!
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Free beer, other new incentives for Biden’s ‘vaccine sprint’

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... d862c911ad

Okay, anti-vaxxers or sorry. Hipster Vax hesitants, will a free beer do the trick?

Hey, here's a fun little story I found:

Putting Microchips in Vaccines Is a Terrible Idea, When You Think About It

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... d=msedgntp
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Our county's covid numbers have been relatively tame throughout, but they still follow the national trend. This recent spike seems to be growing faster than previous spikes in Collin County, judging by these daily hospitalization numbers. I am vaccinated, but I wore a mask to the supermarket yesterday for the first time in awhile. Yes, I bought the giant pack of TP. ;-)

From what I am reading (WSJ, paywall), the new variant is so contagious that herd immunity might no longer be a possibility. If they are right, then those who aren't vaccinated will eventually catch the virus (my opinion, not theirs). For those who are vaccinated and still get sick, the vaccines seem to still be very effective at sparing them from severe illness.

Collin County, Texas COVID Hospitalizations (source):
covid_hospitalized.png
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Some helpful numbers for quantifying the effectiveness of the vaccines. OTOH, they are qualified numbers from before the current Delta spike. Source: WSJ (paywall).
A report from late May by the CDC found more than 10,000 cases of Covid-19 in vaccinated people at least 14 days after their final shot across 46 states and territories between Jan. 1 and April 30 of this year. That equates to about 0.01% of the roughly 100 million people who were fully vaccinated as of April 30.
As of July 19—when more than 161 million Americans had been fully vaccinated—the health agency received reports of 5,914 vaccinated patients across 49 states and territories who were hospitalized or died due to the disease. Of that group 74% were over the age of 65. There were 1,141 deaths.
So if I am reading that right, about 0.0000367% of vaccinated Americans were hospitalized or died due to COVID as of 7/19/21.