We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by BostonCharlie »

From BBC News here:
Kenyans find rural lifeline after Covid city exodus

Seeing no way of staying in the city, he decided to move back home to his village in July of that year.

"I was worried but I gambled," Mr Onyango says. "At home there was no rent, there was no electricity bill or water bills, as compared to Nairobi where everything was money-oriented."

He started farming tomatoes and local greens such as African cabbage and African nightshade on 1.5 acres (0.6 hectares) of land that once belonged to his grandfather.

He sold the produce to neighbours and vendors, who would take it to the local market.

With birds chirping loudly in the background as he speaks to me on the phone, he tells me the unexpected move has turned out for the best.

"The money I'm getting from what I'm doing now is much more compared to what I used to get for working in Nairobi.

"My eldest daughter is 16 years old. I used to see them once a year. In fact, corona has been a blessing to me."
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

BostonCharlie wrote:From BBC News here:
Kenyans find rural lifeline after Covid city exodus

Seeing no way of staying in the city, he decided to move back home to his village in July of that year.

"I was worried but I gambled," Mr Onyango says. "At home there was no rent, there was no electricity bill or water bills, as compared to Nairobi where everything was money-oriented."

He started farming tomatoes and local greens such as African cabbage and African nightshade on 1.5 acres (0.6 hectares) of land that once belonged to his grandfather.

He sold the produce to neighbours and vendors, who would take it to the local market.

With birds chirping loudly in the background as he speaks to me on the phone, he tells me the unexpected move has turned out for the best.

"The money I'm getting from what I'm doing now is much more compared to what I used to get for working in Nairobi.

"My eldest daughter is 16 years old. I used to see them once a year. In fact, corona has been a blessing to me."
It sounds like utopia, but one wrong health issue and you’re not only back in “the system”, but you are perpetually broke for not having insurance. That’s assuming you get care in time.

I wish there was enough wisdom to at least start a community without money, but that sells enough products to pay for outside services that people have to have, like some kind of health insurance. I hear commercials for a thing where people only pay in what the group requires. Sounds like insurance.

I cannot even imagine a life with so little stress where you really only worry about hunting, gathering, and socializing. Somehow mankind has to figure out how to get us more towards that. Currently, we add more and more taking us away from that constantly. Not the ideal direction.

Sorry, I digress, but that story really got me thinking. We’ve got issues. I’ve got issues. Now how to go the other way?
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Recalls to mind an account I read in one of Peter Freuchen's books. He wrote about his arctic explorations in Greenland which has a native eskimo population protected by the Danish government. This is an oversimplification, but he observed how the native medicine men would consult a patient, consult the spirits, and then tell the patient whether he would live or die. The patient was satisfied, and the medicine man wasn't faulted if he was wrong -- spirits can be fickle. When Danish doctors consulted a patient, the patient was generally unsatisfied because the doctor couldn't say for certain what would happen next.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Just glancing at Google's coronavirus stats page, the daily infection rate in South Africa has changed about 8000% (80 times) from Nov 16 (290) to Dec 16 (23,195). Daily deaths have changed 170%, although the numbers are probably too low to be strongly representative (17 average daily deaths Nov 16, 29 average daily deaths Dec 16). Death stats lag infections, of course.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

I have not had my booster because my doctor and I are still debating a lasting side effect after the 2nd Pfizer shot, but it’s not looking good for holdouts like me. Of course it’s very bad for unvaccinated, but booster-less people like me aren’t doing much better. The only hope I have at this point is that the Omicron effects are less than Delta. Still up in the air on that, but studies underway all over the world will clear it up soon.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232698/ ... n-england/

“…vaccine effectiveness estimates against symptomatic Omicron infection of between 0% and 20% after two doses, and between 55% and 80% after a booster dose.”

“Omicron was associated with a 5.40 (95% CI: 4.38-6.63) fold higher risk of reinfection compared with Delta. To put this into context, in the pre-Omicron era, the UK “SIREN” study of COVID infection in healthcare workers estimated that prior infection afforded 85% protection against a second COVID infection over 6 months. The reinfection risk estimated in the current study suggests this protection has fallen to 19% (95%CI: 0-27%) against an Omicron infection.”

“[this] study finds no evidence of Omicron having lower severity than Delta”
vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

I was fully vaccinated with Pfizer, but got the Moderna booster at the same time I got my annual flu shot. Interestingly, I had a brief but strong reaction to the first vaccine (plus SIRVA*, which is another story), a very mild reaction to the second, and zero reaction to the booster.

I keep hearing conflicting information about the severity of Omicron, but since I never really stopped masking and social distancing, don't plan to anytime soon, and am now permanently working remotely, I don't expect much will change in my daily life regardless.

*Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration

Tap. Talk. Buy another watch. Repeat.

Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

vta_watch wrote:I was fully vaccinated with Pfizer, but got the Moderna booster at the same time I got my annual flu shot. Interestingly, I had a brief but strong reaction to the first vaccine (plus SIRVA*, which is another story), a very mild reaction to the second, and zero reaction to the booster.

I keep hearing conflicting information about the severity of Omicron, but since I never really stopped masking and social distancing, don't plan to anytime soon, and am now permanently working remotely, I don't expect much will change in my daily life regardless.

How has remote work affected you? I am probably taking a job with Xcel Energy in Denver and they are mostly remote. Even though I’m used to managing projects remotely, I’m scared of two things, 1.) trying to start at a new company with lots of stakeholders that I cannot meet and that whom I’m responsible for, and 2.) having my damn projects down the hall all the time.

How do you put the work down when it’s personal time and your desk is right there?
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:59 am
vta_watch wrote:I was fully vaccinated with Pfizer, but got the Moderna booster at the same time I got my annual flu shot. Interestingly, I had a brief but strong reaction to the first vaccine (plus SIRVA*, which is another story), a very mild reaction to the second, and zero reaction to the booster.

How has remote work affected you? I am probably taking a job with Xcel Energy in Denver and they are mostly remote. Even though I’m used to managing projects remotely, I’m scared of two things, 1.) trying to start at a new company with lots of stakeholders that I cannot meet and that whom I’m responsible for, and 2.) having my damn projects down the hall all the time.

How do you put the work down when it’s personal time and your desk is right there?
It’s challenging, but for me these have proven effective:

1) Leave your desk and take a walk around the house at least once every 2 hours
2) Do not eat at your workstation / desk
3) Always make everyone turn on cameras when you meet
4) Make sure to plan / structure each meeting with clear purpose and outcomes
5) use first 5 min every meeting for personal chit chat, human connection
6) Create a “North Star” for the project and connect it well to the teams
7) leverage heavily into the intranet / communications with videos, articles, posts, etc
8) Make sure you are Storytelling effectively
9) Set clear metrics / KPIs to track progress and make them part of every meeting
10) Schedule some after hours teambuilding a/ virtual meetups to connect personally
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Houston's Harris County is showing a sharp increase in infections. Interesting to compare its peaks with South Africa's peaks -- the graphs are surprisingly similar considering how different the locations are. Interesting to see if the similarity continues through this next peak.
harris_county_new_cases.png
south_africa_cases.png
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:

7) leverage heavily into the intranet / communications with videos, articles, posts, etc
9) Set clear metrics / KPIs to track progress and make them part of every meeting
10) Schedule some after hours teambuilding a/ virtual meetups to connect personally
Great points.

I’ve been working on Teams and Skype before it with my teams and clients scattered around the globe for the last 10 years, so that won’t be an issue.

My issue is having work down the hall when it’s not time to work anymore. I did it for 6 weeks when the pandemic started and literally quit my career and moved 1500 miles I hated it so badly.

Really dreading work at home. Having an office was the only way I was able to turn it off.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:11 pm
watchpalooza wrote:

Great points.

I’ve been working on Teams and Skype before it with my teams and clients scattered around the globe for the last 10 years, so that won’t be an issue.

My issue is having work down the hall when it’s not time to work anymore. I did it for 6 weeks when the pandemic started and literally quit my career and moved 1500 miles I hated it so badly.

Really dreading work at home. Having an office was the only way I was able to turn it off.
But that is 100% within your circle of control. Just set boundaries and live into them. Say no and walk away.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Somewhat related, my octogenarian mother sold her home and moved in with me this summer (against my advice). My home is big enough: 2,585 sq. ft. with living areas upstairs and downstairs. She has the master suite. But I imagine my lifestyle would be much different if I had a detached granny flat where she could live. (*sigh*)

I had a neighbor once who was self-employed. He rented a little office where he would drive every day to work. Maybe there are deals on office space these days with so many people working at home.

Then there's this (from October 2020):
British pubs are doubling up as an office space for people looking to break away from working at home as the industry continues to struggle amid the pandemic.

More than a dozen pubs have been offering hot-desking packages on social media, which include a table to work on, a steady internet connection, as well as food and hot drinks.
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

watchpalooza wrote:
watchpalooza wrote:

Great points.

But that is 100% within your circle of control. Just set boundaries and live into them. Say no and walk away.
Man, I wish I could. It may not be the same for others, but as a consultant managing natural gas projects, I’ve always struggled because people call and email at all hours. If they panic, they bring it to me. One of the ways I learned to cope was to turn off every aspect of personal life at work and try as hard as possible after work. It all fell apart when the pandemic started and everyone in my orbit started working all kinds of crazy hours. Add in my design drafters are in India, engineers in the UK, etc., everyone contacting me at all hours, and it was just too much. My office down the hall became associated with anxiety and I got straight up pissed off that my house was now a stress bomb called work.

I need to learn work hygiene skills. It’s my personality that I think about everything in my life and don’t do well turning things off. My family and friends suffer for it. That’s honestly why I quit my job and walked off. I told the project management manager at Xcel I don’t work at night and he said good grief I hope not. Maybe corporate America will be nicer than corporate world was as an engineering consultant.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Robotaz wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:22 pm
watchpalooza wrote:
Great points.

Man, I wish I could. It may not be the same for others, but as a consultant managing natural gas projects, I’ve always struggled because people call and email at all hours. If they panic, they bring it to me. One of the ways I learned to cope was to turn off every aspect of personal life at work and try as hard as possible after work. It all fell apart when the pandemic started and everyone in my orbit started working all kinds of crazy hours. Add in design drafters in India, engineers in the UK, etc., everyone contacting me at all hours, and it was just too much.

I need to learn work hygiene skills. It’s my personality that I think about everything in my life and don’t do well turning things off. My family and friends suffer for it. That’s honestly why I quit my job and walked off. I told the project management manager at Xcel I don’t work at night and he said good grief I hope not. Maybe corporate America will be nicer than corporate world was as an engineering consultant.
I worked like this for years, as a telecommunications consultant, then in IT, Insuretech and Fintech. Many of the jobs were essentially 24x7 and paid accordingly. Hopefully I can save you a few years. Make rules for yourself and no matter what do not break them….see what happens. There may be carnage, but the sky will not fall. Delegate, make others accountable, and coach the outcome when it is not up to your standards. Build your leadership shadow and give yourself some balance. It won’t be easy or a quick adjustment, but it gets easier if you can stay consistent. Not to be dire, but when you die you won’t be thinking about a Xcel…it will be about the time to live that you did or didn’t make a priority.

That’s all I’ll say about it - I know you “get it” and won’t berate. But want to say that it IS possible, even for someone with your personality and predisposition.
Click Icon To Contact Me

vta_watch
MoT Member

Post by vta_watch »

Robotaz wrote:

I try to keep regular hours (8-5ish), and make it clear that I'm not available 24/7. I'm just old-fashioned enough to believe in a 40-hour week and work-life balance. As someone said, I can always be replaced at work, but I can't be replaced at home, so it's clear what my priorities are.

Work will be there in the morning, and it's not like I'm doing brain surgery. The world won't collapse if I eat dinner and watch TV in the evening, and I'll be a bigger asset to the company if I'm not exhausted and stressed out.