We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
MoT
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by MoT »

Numbers have been jumping up here, and essentially all new cases are in those who have not received any of the vaccines for whatever stupid reason. Because of this, the State of Minnesota will start incentivizing the vaccine by giving new recipients $100.

It should never have come to bribery.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

On May 15 I reported on a down trend in cases here in NJ. Unfortunately, as our mayor has reported in his weekly robocall, the trend has been reversed and we're seeing numbers that we haven't witnessed in months.

How the hell can we make the vax-deniers see that we're all in this together?
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

BostonCharlie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:40 pm Some helpful numbers for quantifying the effectiveness of the vaccines. OTOH, they are qualified numbers from before the current Delta spike. Source: WSJ (paywall).
A report from late May by the CDC found more than 10,000 cases of Covid-19 in vaccinated people at least 14 days after their final shot across 46 states and territories between Jan. 1 and April 30 of this year. That equates to about 0.01% of the roughly 100 million people who were fully vaccinated as of April 30.
As of July 19—when more than 161 million Americans had been fully vaccinated—the health agency received reports of 5,914 vaccinated patients across 49 states and territories who were hospitalized or died due to the disease. Of that group 74% were over the age of 65. There were 1,141 deaths.
So if I am reading that right, about 0.0000367% of vaccinated Americans were hospitalized or died due to COVID as of 7/19/21.
So why would someone who has had vacc or the virus need to where a mask?
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

tjcdas wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:34 pm
BostonCharlie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:40 pm Some helpful numbers for quantifying the effectiveness of the vaccines. OTOH, they are qualified numbers from before the current Delta spike. Source: WSJ (paywall).
A report from late May by the CDC found more than 10,000 cases of Covid-19 in vaccinated people at least 14 days after their final shot across 46 states and territories between Jan. 1 and April 30 of this year. That equates to about 0.01% of the roughly 100 million people who were fully vaccinated as of April 30.
As of July 19—when more than 161 million Americans had been fully vaccinated—the health agency received reports of 5,914 vaccinated patients across 49 states and territories who were hospitalized or died due to the disease. Of that group 74% were over the age of 65. There were 1,141 deaths.
So if I am reading that right, about 0.0000367% of vaccinated Americans were hospitalized or died due to COVID as of 7/19/21.
So why would someone who has had vacc or the virus need to where a mask?
Because those who are vaccinated can spread the virus, which in turn spreads to the unvaccinated. Many unvaccinated cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or age. If wearing a mask (as uncomfortable as it may be) saves a life of someone who cannot get the vaccine, then fine by me. A mask is an inconvenience that is temporary. Death is permanent.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... k-guidance
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

ManOnTime wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:15 pm Numbers have been jumping up here, and essentially all new cases are in those who have not received any of the vaccines for whatever stupid reason. Because of this, the State of Minnesota will start incentivizing the vaccine by giving new recipients $100.

It should never have come to bribery.
I applaud your idealism.

This is from a Journal opinion piece:
Are we limited to policies that rely on voluntary compliance? As a legal and constitutional matter, the answer is clear: No. The issue of whether states can make vaccinations mandatory was settled more than a century ago in Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905), when a citizen challenged a required smallpox inoculation. When the case reached the Supreme Court, Justice John Marshall Harlan, author of the famous dissent against the “separate but equal” doctrine in Plessy v. Ferguson, wrote for a seven-justice majority upholding the state’s constitutional power to act as it did.
Instead of bribes, the defendant had been subject subject to: "fine or imprisonment for neglecting or refusing to submit to vaccination."

Today I wore a mask at Walmart, but it wasn't a cloth mask. It was a Korean version of our N95 mask -- assuming it isn't counterfeit, lol -- for my own protection. I am vaccinated, so I shouldn't worry. But in my mind there are too many unknown unknowns, as Rumsfeld once said. It probably just eases my mind by giving me a sense of control over something that is shaping up to be the defining force of the 21st century. (sad lol)
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:17 pm On May 15 I reported on a down trend in cases here in NJ. Unfortunately, as our mayor has reported in his weekly robocall, the trend has been reversed and we're seeing numbers that we haven't witnessed in months.

ikr? Like smoking. Who smokes? Lots of people. People are crazy. I worry more about the masses of infections in the developing world. Not only is the human toll terrible, but it is a hot bed for mutations.

There has been so much discussion about vaccines that I don't see as much talk about the immunity of those who have been infected. At the rate we are going, at some point there will be two kinds of people: those who are protected by a vaccine and those who are protected from a previous infection.
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

BostonCharlie wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:52 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:17 pm On May 15 I reported on a down trend in cases here in NJ. Unfortunately, as our mayor has reported in his weekly robocall, the trend has been reversed and we're seeing numbers that we haven't witnessed in months.

ikr? Like smoking. Who smokes? Lots of people. People are crazy. I worry more about the masses of infections in the developing world. Not only is the human toll terrible, but it is a hot bed for mutations.
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a mutation in a "first world" country. This one in particular. :|
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Good news (pay wall):
In Florida, where 50% of people are fully vaccinated, the seven-day average of daily vaccinations rose to 60,531 on July 28, a 56% increase over the total on July 7, according to Johns Hopkins University.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

BostonCharlie wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:34 pm Good news (pay wall):
In Florida, where 50% of people are fully vaccinated, the seven-day average of daily vaccinations rose to 60,531 on July 28, a 56% increase over the total on July 7, according to Johns Hopkins University.
------------

Bad News!

Florida Reports A New Record With More Than 21,000 COVID-19 Cases On Saturday

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... ase-record
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

This is from an opinion piece about getting a third shot (paywall):
Israel’s Health Ministry recently announced that after five months a double dose of the Pfizer vaccine remains 91% effective at preventing severe disease but only 39% effective against infection. Israelis over 60 who received their last shot at least five months ago are eligible for a third dose. Germany said it will offer third shots to the elderly and sick starting next month, and White House officials told reporters they will soon advise Americans who are over 65 or immunocompromised to get them.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Some interesting numbers cited in the opinion section of the WSJ here (paywall):
... A recent United Kingdom study estimated that vaccines were only 59% effective against symptomatic illness during late June and early July.

A new Mayo Clinic study found that Moderna’s vaccine was 76% protective against infection and Pfizer’s 42% in July, versus the 94% to 95% against symptomatic illness in their clinical trials. While both remained 75% to 80% protective against hospitalizations ...
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The above numbers started me wondering about the effectiveness of infection for protecting against future infections. Here's something on cdc.gov on that subject:
Among Kentucky residents infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020, vaccination status of those reinfected during May–June 2021 was compared with that of residents who were not reinfected. In this case-control study, being unvaccinated was associated with 2.34 times the odds of reinfection compared with being fully vaccinated.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Good read with lots of statistics (h/t to WSJ):

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08 ... feat-delta
Israel has among the world’s highest levels of vaccination for COVID-19, with 78% of those 12 and older fully vaccinated, the vast majority with the Pfizer vaccine. Yet the country is now logging one of the world’s highest infection rates, with nearly 650 new cases daily per million people. More than half are in fully vaccinated people, underscoring the extraordinary transmissibility of the Delta variant and stoking concerns that the benefits of vaccination ebb over time. . .

People vaccinated in January had a 2.26 times greater risk for a breakthrough infection than those vaccinated in April. (Potential confounders include the fact that the very oldest Israelis, with the weakest immune systems, were vaccinated first.)

At the same time, cases in the country, which were scarcely registering at the start of summer, have been doubling every week to 10 days since then, with the Delta variant responsible for most of them. They have now soared to their highest level since mid-February, with hospitalizations and intensive care unit admissions beginning to follow.

As of 15 August, 514 Israelis were hospitalized with severe or critical COVID-19, a 31% increase from just 4 days earlier. Of the 514, 59% were fully vaccinated. Of the vaccinated, 87% were 60 or older. “There are so many breakthrough infections that they dominate and most of the hospitalized patients are actually vaccinated,” says Uri Shalit, a bioinformatician at the Israel Institute of Technology (Technion) who has consulted on COVID-19 for the government. “One of the big stories from Israel [is]: ‘Vaccines work, but not well enough.’”
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Welcome to the Sunshine State.

More people in Florida are dying of Covid than at any other point in the pandemic.

NY Times
Robotaz
MoT Member

Post by Robotaz »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote:Welcome to the Sunshine State.

More people in Florida are dying of Covid than at any other point in the pandemic.

NY Times
Something similar in KY, where we used to live. Delta variant combined with everyone going back to schools, churches, and work have wreaked havoc.

I’ve gone back to my N95 mask even though I’m vaccinated. The vast majority of people where I live in CO do not wear masks. Hospitalizations here are going up again. Funny how you go in Walmart and nobody has on a mask. Go to the health food store and everyone does. My theory on that would be borderline conspiracy so I’ll save it.