We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

I get the second shot in 16 hours or so. Hopefully, I don't deal with flu like symptoms. But if I do, oh well.... I'll live.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Okay, maybe a very slight headache later that day. Otherwise, a ok.

If you have the opportunity to recieve the vaccine go for it, you'll be far better of for it.
-William Osler
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

U.S. Agents Seize 10 Million Counterfeit N95 Face Masks (link, paywall)

"Officials said grammatical errors or typos on packaging or user instructions are telltale signs of counterfeit items. ..." lol

3M has a page to help ID counterfeits here.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Interesting single-dose study results (source, paywall):
In research published Friday in the Lancet medical journal, one dose of Pfizer’s vaccine was shown to be 85% effective in preventing symptomatic disease 15 to 28 days after being given, according to a peer-reviewed observational study of about 9,000 people conducted by the Israeli government-owned Sheba Medical Center.

The authors noted, however, that the findings don’t justify changing dose schedules, and that more follow-up to assess long-term effectiveness of a single dose is needed before deciding to delay second doses.

The results might differ from others because the subjects were largely younger and healthier, said Gili Regev-Yochay, another of the authors. She also said the study couldn’t confirm how long protection from one shot would last, as most of the subjects received a second shot.
balcorn80
MoT Member

Post by balcorn80 »

I have an appt for shot #2 on Monday. And a full day planned Tuesday... Hopefully I don't regret that.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

My wife will finally be able schedule her appointment on Feb 28th. She's a teacher.
balcorn80
MoT Member

Post by balcorn80 »

I'm a food bank volunteer... I feel very blessed to have somehow qualified by being such.
balcorn80
MoT Member

Post by balcorn80 »

Just got jab #2.
Hopefully I'll be as lucky as those here, regarding side effects.

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Had my yearly physical last week and they drew blood for the COVID antibody test. Test came back negative

So my wife, sis in law, and nephew all test positive, yet I was around them the entire time and didn't catch anything. Crazy.

TheJohnP wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:05 pm So here's my COVID story that I'm fairly baffled by.

My wife's sister and nephew were going to drive down from Virginia to spend Christmas with us. Against CDC recommendations I know, but I wasn't winning that fight. I digress.

That meant we finally had to fix the giant hole in the wall of the guest bedroom we've ignored for years after a shower had leaked through from the adjoining bathroom. To fix the wall, had to make several trips to Lowe's for drywall, supplies, paint, etc. After patching the wall, wife sanded down the mud so we could start painting. This all took place during the week and a half leading to Christmas.

Christmas Day, sister in law and nephew arrive. We have a big Christmas dinner, exchange gifts, and hang out. They stay for a couple more days before driving back the following Monday.

From around Christmas, wife started to notice she had a dry cough. She thought it was due to either the drywall, drywall mud dust, stuff between the walls, whatever. But cough never really went away. As it was also a COVID symptom, she decided to have a test done. And dry cough has been the worst that she's felt. No loss of smell or taste, no fever, nothing. She took the test on New Year's Eve and got her results a couple of days later... POSITIVE

She let her sister know, who then went with the nephew to get a rapid test done...Both POSITIVE. Neither of them had any severe symptoms either.

Obviously figured I had it, but only symptom I had was the sniffles, which could be attributed to seasonal allergies. My wife scheduled a test for me, but the earliest available was on the 5th. Got tested and got my results this morning... NEGATIVE.

So little confused by the whole situation.
We could've infected them or they could've infected us, that's neither here nor there

But did I have a false negative?
Did the three of them have false positives?
What are the odds that everyone was basically asymptomatic?
Did I have it and get over it to the point where I'm testing negative now?
Am I somehow immune?

Need to get the antibody test done next time I see my doc to be sure.

But crazy, right?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Stretch44 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:44 pm My wife will finally be able to schedule her appointment for Feb 28th. She's a teacher.
While I understand why some teachers feel they're getting mistreated by not being labeled essential workers and getting the vaccine after doctors, nurses, healthcare workers......

The reality is many of them are teaching from home.... on a zoom call, those who don't still get to wear a mask. Healthcare workers interact with those who 100% have it and around those who constantly interact w/ the infected. Not to mention we only have so much to go around. There has to be some criteria, and unfortunately, teachers can't be at the top. Hopefully, your wife is understanding of the situation and taking things in stride.
-William Osler
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 pm
Stretch44 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:44 pm My wife will finally be able to schedule her appointment for Feb 28th. She's a teacher.
While I understand why some teachers feel they're getting mistreated by not being labeled essential workers and getting the vaccine after doctors, nurses, healthcare workers......

The reality is many of them are teaching from home.... on a zoom call, those who don't still get to wear a mask. Healthcare workers interact with those who 100% have it and around those who constantly interact w/ the infected. Not to mention we only have so much to go around. There has to be some criteria, and unfortunately, teachers can't be at the top. Hopefully, your wife is understanding of the situation and taking things in stride.
I do not want this to go down the wrong direction but you are assuming something about my wife and teachers in general. I never said my wife was upset or that she should jump the line.

My wife will be going back into the classroom soon. She teaches high school and has about 150 students rotating in and out of her classroom with no windows and poor ventilation. These are high school students; not elementary. They also are not ones to listen well and can be disruptive. Working from Zoom has been hell for her and the students. My wife has poured her heart and soul into teaching these kids and many do not care. She teaches to 30 blank screens because the kids won't turn on their cameras. She has had to come up with an entirely new way of teaching and has had far too many all nighters. She and many other teachers care deeply about our children and I'm tired of them getting the **** end of the stick.

I never once said that my wife should be in front of a nurse or doctor. In my state we were vaccinating 65+ and essential workers so I'm not sure how she would be jumping the line. There are also many government, hospital, or other workers that qualify for the vaccine but are working from home.

I hope you understand that our teachers have a huge burden on them and are trying their hardest to educate our future during this horrible pandemic.

Sorry if I have come off abrasive. Matt if you'd like me to delete, I will.
balcorn80
MoT Member

Post by balcorn80 »

I got my second shot on Monday. Tuesday, I felt mostly ok, but as the day wore on I got tired more quickly and was starting to get sore in my midsection. It wasn't just my back(I'm used to back pain) this was my back and my... Guts I guess. Tuesday night it was hard to find a good position to sleep. I called in sick to work Wednesday and my dad covered me.
Today, I feel much better, though a little sore, along with a very sore injection site.

My dad goes in for his 2nd shot today. Guess I'll have the opportunity to return his favor here soon.

I tried to schedule my shot for a Friday(like the first time i got it) in case that did happen, I'd have the weekend. But that's ok. I'd do it again and tell everyone I know they should get it at their soonest opportunity.

Take care out there.

And... A watch.
KIMG0338.jpg

Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Stretch44 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:48 pm
Spirit of the Watch wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 pm

I do not want this to go down the wrong direction but you are assuming something about my wife and teachers in general. I never said my wife was upset or that she should jump the line.

My wife will be going back into the classroom soon. She teaches high school and has about 150 students rotating in and out of her classroom with no windows and poor ventilation. These are high school students; not elementary. They also are not ones to listen well and can be disruptive. Working from Zoom has been hell for her and the students. My wife has poured her heart and soul into teaching these kids and many do not care. She teaches to 30 blank screens because the kids won't turn on their cameras. She has had to come up with an entirely new way of teaching and has had far too many all nighters. She and many other teachers care deeply about our children and I'm tired of them getting the **** end of the stick.

I never once said that my wife should be in front of a nurse or doctor. In my state we were vaccinating 65+ and essential workers so I'm not sure how she would be jumping the line. There are also many government, hospital, or other workers that qualify for the vaccine but are working from home.

I hope you understand that our teachers have a huge burden on them and are trying their hardest to educate our future during this horrible pandemic.

Sorry if I have come off abrasive. Matt if you'd like me to delete, I will.
Didn't mean anything by it, perhaps I jumped on the wording or something.

Being a teacher is a difficult job in the best of times. Having to teach to a bunch of blank screens must be a nightmare.
-William Osler
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Two family members (married couple) both had their second dose of Pfizer recently.

She had very minor symptoms, some fatigue, and some slight nausea.
He has stronger symptoms, heavy fatigue, strong nausea, and aches and pains.

Both are thrilled to have gotten the vaccine, however.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
cheesetime
MoT Member

Post by cheesetime »

I work in HR for a retailer here in the midwest. A big part of my job the past year has dealt with developing policies and procedures to keep our associates and customers safe. Now, as the vaccine is rolling out, we are doing everything we can to encourage and help our employees obtain the vaccine.

Our employees have been deemed essential workers and are eligible to vaccinate now in many counties/states, but with demand out pacing supply, it has been difficult to find available appointments.

I have been hearing that people have been having much more luck seeking appointments through Walgreens and CVS vs local health departments and their health care providers. Walgreens for instance has you enter in your zip code and it checks available appointments within 25 miles for the next 3 days.

For those of you who are seeking the vaccine for yourself or loved ones, I would recommend going that route and checking in everyday as new appointment slots are opened.

This might just apply to the handful of states in the midwest I have line of sight to, but thought I'd pass along the tip.