We're Moving!

Click for more info.

COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Discuss anything that doesn't fit elsewhere on the site. As a reminder, religion, politics and weaponry are prohibited.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: COVID-19 Impacts- No Conspiracy Theories

Post by BostonCharlie »

balcorn80 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am The talk-to-text thing is the worst habit my boys picked up...
ngl, spell check is my biggest crutch ... after my calculator.
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Post by Spirit of the Watch »

Is there a dire labour shortage?

Saw this today (You might remember him as the right to repair guy, I guess this is his thing now).

Anyhow, here is my thoughts:

Bad jobs:
-Walmart pays $15 now
-Parents don't want their kids exposed to the ongoing Covid and more importantly Karen pandemic. People understand their kids working horrible jobs for $8 isn't worth it.
-People don't want to work for pennies and garbage. They're fed up and moving to better fields.

So, really that means employees are fed up with low wages and calling it quits.

On a side note where I live 3 Panera Breads closed because the owner wanted to pay less for rent (obviously the land lords refused), I asked a worker what he made and he said $9 something. Well that isn't very competitive. So they stores cut back on ours and lost out on revenue. Got in a fight with the landlord... So they closed... because no one wants to work? Or the employer was unrealistic and as a result got F'd up and are out of business now?

Just my thoughts. There is not a MAJOR labor shortage that's being advertised and even if there was, I do not care if the local restaurants have to cut back on hours. Probably best for the regional health of the populace.
"The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well."
-William Osler
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Actually I think this is a positive side of the pandemic. Wages have been going down or stagnant for a long time relative living expenses. This little upheaval was bound to happen.

As for a labour shortage in health care, I think that's obvious and a separate discussion. Tons of retirements plus more work than ever before. Not to mention employers being unreasonable in their pay. In medical lab they might be willing to pay someone $30. However a temp will get $3k a week plus living expenses. Obviously the numbers are far higher for nurses and doctors. So, yeah maybe try a pay raise if you don't want workers walking out.
-William Osler
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Another aspect to the labor shortage might also be impacted by the total amount of people who have died.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

Austrian brothel offering free entry, private sessions for those who get vaccinated on-site

https://www.foxnews.com/world/austrian- ... n-site.amp

Uh... You might need a few other shots after visiting this vaccination site. Then again Austria passes 100% vaccination rate.
-William Osler
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Infections spiking here (‘Germany) and also our neighbors in Netherlands. Lockdown measures imposed there but not yet here. The worst areas in Bayern are colored pink on the infection map below. For the past week the pink has grown to nearly surround the Munich area. Hospitals across Germany are now a “red traffic light”, meaning they are at capacity again.

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:43 am Infections spiking here (‘Germany) and also our neighbors in Netherlands. Lockdown measures imposed there but not yet here. The worst areas in Bayern are colored pink on the infection map below. For the past week the pink has grown to nearly surround the Munich area. Hospitals across Germany are now a “red traffic light”, meaning they are at capacity again.

------

Stay safe!
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

watchpalooza wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:43 am Infections spiking here (‘Germany) and also our neighbors in Netherlands. Lockdown measures imposed there but not yet here. The worst areas in Bayern are colored pink on the infection map below. For the past week the pink has grown to nearly surround the Munich area. Hospitals across Germany are now a “red traffic light”, meaning they are at capacity again.

So sorry to hear that, especially about the crowded hospitals. Are there any good theories for what is causing the spike? Your graph (and Google's here) looks awful. Google's number indicate that the 7-day average daily infection rate has doubled in about two weeks. It is currently 40% higher than the previous peak in December '20.

Numbers continue to drop in Houston (albeit more slowly), but the US numbers seem to have started upward again.
Last edited by BostonCharlie on Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Well, the weekend has not helped. “2G” Restrictions will be reinstated starting Tuesday, and unvaccinated will not be allowed into any restaurant.

Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The WSJ has some juicy data on Germany (here, paywall). Emphasis mine:
Germany’s relative success in fending off the virus earlier in the pandemic may have contributed to its current weakness, according to Prof. Hendrik Streeck of Bonn University in Germany.

While Prof. Streeck cautioned against comparing countries directly, he said residents of Britain, France and Italy had suffered more infections earlier in the pandemic and might now enjoy higher population-wide immunity as a result.
The weakening of the protection afforded by vaccines also plays a role in rising infection figures, experts said. Around 26% of intensive-care patients infected with Covid-19 have been fully vaccinated, while that figure rises to over 34% for patients older than 60, according to the Robert Koch Institute. The institute said the so-called breakthrough infections were by far most common in those vaccinated with Johnson & Johnson’s one-dose shot.

Around 40% of people older than 60 had no neutralizing antibodies against the Delta variant of coronavirus six months after becoming fully vaccinated, according to Prof. Leif Erik Sander, a vaccine expert at the Charité University Clinic in Berlin.

Jonas Schmidt-Chanasit, a virologist at the University of Hamburg, said the current rise was unsurprising, yet authorities were still lagging behind those in neighboring countries in offering booster shots to the most vulnerable. Infections among vaccinated people who aren’t forced to get tested under existing rules were contributing to the current transmission rate, he said.

“Many citizens may not have understood that the vaccine is primarily for protecting from severe disease and death, not for preventing infection,” he said.

Britain, which has a similar vaccination rate as Germany’s but has dropped all pandemic measures, experienced a surge in infections in recent months but only a moderate increase in deaths.

Unlike Germany, however, Britain has a policy of targeted and systematic testing and its authorities have much better data to monitor the pandemic, Prof. Streeck said. Germany, for instance, doesn’t collect data on whether people who tested positive to Covid-19 have been hospitalized because of the virus, or for other reasons.
I think this bit is clarifying:
Most if not all people who are neither vaccinated nor had the virus will likely become infected in the next months, according Dr. Andreas Gassen, head of the country’s National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians.
Interesting that the vaccination rate among health workers care personnel is lower than the overall public (67%):
Health Minister Jens Spahn said last week that around 50% of care personnel—including those tending to the elderly and other risk groups—were unvaccinated, but that he was reluctant to make vaccinations mandatory for them for fear that they could stop coming to work.
The Sultan of SoWhat
MoT Member

Post by The Sultan of SoWhat »

Cases surge in new COVID hot spots of Michigan, Minnesota
Hospitals in Michigan and Minnesota are reporting a wave of COVID-19 patients not seen in months

By ED WHITE Associated Press
November 16, 2021, 6:41 PM

Hospitals in Michigan and Minnesota on Tuesday reported a wave of COVID-19 patients not seen in months as beds were filled with unvaccinated people and health care leaders warned that staff were being worn down by yet another surge.

Michigan had slightly more than 3,000 COVID-19 patients in hospitals this week, the first time it had crossed that threshold since spring, while nearly all hospital beds were occupied in Minnesota. Both held the unflattering rank of national virus hotspots.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/cas ... a-81213551
CVP33
MoT Member

Post by CVP33 »

We had 2 break through cases at work with fully vax’d folks. That was it for me. Booster shot yesterday along with a flu shot.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:59 pm Cases surge in new COVID hot spots of Michigan, Minnesota
Hospitals in Michigan and Minnesota are reporting a wave of COVID-19 patients not seen in months

Hospitals in Michigan and Minnesota on Tuesday reported a wave of COVID-19 patients not seen in months as beds were filled with unvaccinated people and health care leaders warned that staff were being worn down by yet another surge.

Michigan had slightly more than 3,000 COVID-19 patients in hospitals this week, the first time it had crossed that threshold since spring, while nearly all hospital beds were occupied in Minnesota. Both held the unflattering rank of national virus hotspots.

The old hot spots are now cool spots (source):

virus.png
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

CVP33 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:23 pm We had 2 break through cases at work with fully vax’d folks. That was it for me. Booster shot yesterday along with a flu shot.
Got the flu shot at work (an ICU nurse gladly gave me a shot if I promised to cut it out with the Hemolyzer 3000). Still waiting on work to start handing out the booster.
-William Osler
Spirit of the Watch
MoT Member

BostonCharlie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:14 pm
The Sultan of SoWhat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:59 pm Cases surge in new COVID hot spots of Michigan, Minnesota

The old hot spots are now cool spots (source):

virus.png
It's the Kirk Cousins and Qaron Rodgers effect. /jk.
-William Osler